Why don't you tune every string up a semitone for C standard? C F Bb Eb Ab?
because me might pop the b... maybe. it would be hard to keep it in tune. are you going to use the b string? cuz i mean, the first fret on the b would just be a C
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
yeh, if youre doing a drop c song, just leave it alone i guess
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by smb
Why don't you tune every string up a semitone for C standard? C F Bb Eb Ab?

I'd go this route, or if you're doing a ton of killswitch songs get a lighter guage string set and do CGCFA

Just leave your tuning the same, learn where the notes are and show your band mates you can play it without detuning.
you have several options. lighter gauge strings and tune up a half step (1 semitone)
keep it in B and impress (this is what im doing, im talking to a band who plays in drop Bb and im using a 5 in Bb standard.

or just tune down one step and drop your E string down to the drop. so it would be d to drop c.
ya for a cover song that only requires 4 strings in drop C I'd just leave the B where it's at. But if it were original i'd suggest tuning the low B to a low G to be a 4th away from the C.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I'd say CGCFA would be the best option. I've been using it for a while, and the extra string can be used to add some cool high note fills.
Quote by CaRveItiNbass
yeh, if youre doing a drop c song, just leave it alone i guess

Not for a Killswitch song. I seriously feel it's wrong to say "oh, it's a 5 string, no need to detune" when in a lot of cases, it's best to. Try playing some (drop C) Mudvayne on a standard tuned 5er.
If you want to tune up to drop C you'll have to reduce your string gauge on your strings by .15, and .05 on your B. If my calculations are correct.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
If you want to tune up to drop C you'll have to reduce your string gauge on your strings by .15, and .05 on your B. If my calculations are correct.

wait what? reduce the gauges? My money is on actually increasing the gauges to get nice tension after detuning.
If all you are doing are Killswitch Engage songs that affect how you want to tune, then just stick with your BCGCF. I would personally suggest if you are going to keep it in that tuning for a long period of time or whatever, then you drop the B to a G, so that you have GCGCF. That way the neck has a better balance of tension. But unless you want to get the lighter gauge strings, it's probably not a good idea to uptune. XD
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by watchingmefall
wait what? reduce the gauges? My money is on actually increasing the gauges to get nice tension after detuning.

I had apologised for being wrong, then I realised I'd said in the case that he decided to tune up to drop C. So to balance out the increase in tension reduce the gauge.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Just keep it the same, If there is no note lower than the low B then is there really a reason to detune? What to follow the guitar player? Pshhh

On guitar I can see it's logical to detune because of chord shapes being easier, but on bass it just isn't worth the slack strings and hassle that comes with detuning.
Sounds like some of you guys only play songs in the key of the lowest open note.
Quote by sammcl-15
I had apologised for being wrong, then I realised I'd said in the case that he decided to tune up to drop C. So to balance out the increase in tension reduce the gauge.

ohh, ok. I get it.
wouldn't need to tune up if you bought a big capo.....depending on width of neck of course

also, I suggest dropping the B to G if you can muster it, it can help fill in the sound and maybe give you some low end fills to broaden things out.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by CaRveItiNbass
because me might pop the b... maybe. it would be hard to keep it in tune. are you going to use the b string? cuz i mean, the first fret on the b would just be a C

I can tune my .135 gauge B string up to an E without it breaking... The only possible problem would be with the truss rod.