can someone give me a very simple explanation as to what dark matter (or matter) actually is?
Some matter in the universe taht we are unable to detect in conventional methods, but we appear to see the effects of.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm tired.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
matter is anything takes up space (more simply has mass). dark matter is when the scientists added up all the matter that they figured there was in the universe, but came up short to the actual matter that SHOULD be there, so the coined the term dark matter for the missing stuff.

or at least i think thats what it is, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
right so matter is anything that has weight i guess

therefore is light itself matter?

is space matter? or is it simply nothingness?
I think that's right, I think I'm thinking Anti-matter, so I'm not gonna bother adding to that.
We cant actually see it, but we can see its effects on other objects, such as light.
Not Enough AssHatery
I suddenly find it extremely hard not to say 'dark matter? its what comes out of my arse!'

....i'm sorry.
I shall now leave the thread and be ashamed of myself.
Quote by hngr4thegr8lite
http://astro.berkeley.edu/~mwhite/darkmatter/dm.html
or go to wikipedia and search for it.
why just get a simple answer? learn some new shit. it's pretty interesting.

ive read wiki, and it has numerous things and theorems i just wana know what it is and what matter is,

all i understand is we cant see it but we can see it's effects on the universe
You take matter put it in a room and turn the lights off.

sorry really lame joke this nerdy kid told our class today.
ED REED BABY
Quote by imthehitcher
can someone give me a very simple explanation as to what dark matter (or matter) actually is?

The world's top Physicists don't know.

They have some really fancy ways of saying this, but for the record: they don't know.

I have a hunch that the whole thing is false and that either the age, total mass and/or total energy of the universe has been miscalculated all along.

That came to me in a dream, and I (in the dream) just about fell apart with tears of joy.

Basically (in the dream) the discovery was made that the Earth is really a couple of hundred million years old and that we had billions upon billions of years left of life on Earth. Life as we know it was just the beginning and there was just oceans of time and space wide open with possibilities and potential.

...or it could work out that we're screwed.

I like my dream version, though.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Dark matter is a gravitationally attractive force that cannot be seen. It causes stars out the outer rim of galaxies to "move too fast" (they are attracted by this matter) . Einstein discovered this very early and called it the "Lambda Force" cause he didn't know what it was.
It's an item usually quite difficult to obtain, it's use depends on what universe it's used in, in some it may summon a beast to fight by your side, and in others, you just throw it at stuff to damage its HP.