Ok I am currently building a small home recording studio that will primarily be for recreational use. Heres my intended setup:

Firewire 410 w/ Protools M Powered
Shure SM58 & SM57
Sony MDR7506 Headphones
M-Audio BX5a Monitors

Ok for now I am going to just be recording acoustic guitar and vocals and I think this setup will work. But soon I will be wanting to record drums. Im pretty sure this will require several mics so this setup probably wont work. Will adding a mixer to this make recording several more mics possible?
Taylor 410-CE
Fender Strat Mex Standard
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Anyone have any advice or changes to this setup? Or the best upgrade path down the road for recording drums.
Taylor 410-CE
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Hey your from tennessee too

um m audio has a new firewire interface that has like 6 or 7 inputs
and it works with pro tools
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
Which product is that and how much does it cost?
Is there a preamp as well?
Taylor 410-CE
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Tayman20
Ok I am currently building a small home recording studio that will primarily be for recreational use. Heres my intended setup:

Firewire 410 w/ Protools M Powered
Shure SM58 & SM57
Sony MDR7506 Headphones
M-Audio BX5a Monitors

Ok for now I am going to just be recording acoustic guitar and vocals and I think this setup will work. But soon I will be wanting to record drums. Im pretty sure this will require several mics so this setup probably wont work. Will adding a mixer to this make recording several more mics possible?

Decide here and now whether you'll add drums. It'll save you loads in the long run. And will it be acoustic drums, or a digital one like an Alesis DM5Pro or Roland?
Yes I will want to add drums in the future. I have a pretty nice set of acoustic drums. So where does that put me on what equipment I need now?
Taylor 410-CE
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Depending on the quality of sound you want and how you want to record.

You'll at least need some mics for your drums. And you'll need a way to rcord all those mics.

Buying a mixer would let you record all the drums into a single stereo channel.

Buying an interface with enough inputs will let you record each drum mic on a seperate track (recommended)

How's your budget looking?

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
Depending on the quality of sound you want and how you want to record.

You'll at least need some mics for your drums. And you'll need a way to rcord all those mics.

Buying a mixer would let you record all the drums into a single stereo channel.

Buying an interface with enough inputs will let you record each drum mic on a seperate track (recommended)

How's your budget looking?

DS

this is the best way as it allows you to change the level of each drum on the computer.
Well I already have both of the mics I listed.
I wasn't planning on spending more than $500 for the interface and software right now.
I can add extra mics/possibly a mixer if needed for drums in the future.

So which interface should I go with thats firewire?
Taylor 410-CE
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
If you're building a studio and you don't need portability in your interface go for something that's PCI based. More inputs for less money that way, with the added advantage of no latency period.

Browse
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/pci-desktop-sound-and-recording-cards?N=100001+309132
Made up statistic
I've got a laptop so firewire's my only good bet.
Taylor 410-CE
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
You can get a Presonus Firepod, 8 channels. This is our setup when my band records our shows:

1. kick
2. snare
3. left overhead (requires phantom power)
4. right overhead (requires phantom power)
5. bass guitar
6. lead guitar
7. rhythm guitar (also the lead singer for us)
8. vox

If your laptop only has the 4pin FireWire port, you can get a 6pin expansion card (cardbus or PCexpress) for ~$30. The FirePod costs ~$400, has 8 XLR/TRS inputs with the first two inputs also being Hi-Z instrument jacks. Also has 2 MIDI ports and more goodies.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Quote by Crazy Drummer69
You can get a Presonus Firepod, 8 channels. This is our setup when my band records our shows:

1. kick
2. snare
5. bass guitar
6. lead guitar
8. vox

If your laptop only has the 4pin FireWire port, you can get a 6pin expansion card (cardbus or PCexpress) for ~$30. The FirePod costs ~$400, has 8 XLR/TRS inputs with the first two inputs also being Hi-Z instrument jacks. Also has 2 MIDI ports and more goodies.

I second this...I recommended this setup to hen a while back, who had similar needs...the interface has been succeeded by the Firestudio Project. When all is said and done, anticipate a cost of around $1000 when you include cables (even if you solder your own) and monitors, but that will eventually be recompensated by all the studio time you'll no longer pay for.
Quote by Crazy Drummer69

1. kick
2. snare
5. bass guitar
6. lead guitar
8. vox

If a laptop is your only option then I third this.....
Made up statistic