Page 5 of 199
Quote by imgooley
@jimmy

That was pretty good, but the harmony was a little awkward. Its a VU cover so its alright though.

what's awkward about it? tone? pitch?
Quote by Jimmy94

I didn't think that it was awkward at all. It was really good man!

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Quote by Jimmy94

The pitch of the vocal harmonies was a little awkward, like it shifted in and out. The guitar work was perfect for a VU cover, and I like that song, there was just something minute in the vocals that threw me off a little bit. I am no expert though, so make of that what you will.
Quote by Dimebag22
Yeah, me and Carswell are in the same timezone but I don't think he ever sleeps Plus I have to go to school and shit too and he doesn't. It's usually good from like 6 my time to about 9 or 10.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, sleep is for babies
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
alright, thanks to both of you for listening. I have trouble judging my own vocals and if there's only something minute wrong with it I'm happy

maybe if I separate the tracks for each vocal a little bit it'll help cut down the phasing you are hearing gooley. on to mixing!
Quote by imgooley
The pitch of the vocal harmonies was a little awkward, like it shifted in and out. The guitar work was perfect for a VU cover, and I like that song, there was just something minute in the vocals that threw me off a little bit. I am no expert though, so make of that what you will.

you know, I just listened to it again and I think I hear what you're talking about... I think I put too much vibrato on some of the notes that got held on longer, especially for the lower harmony. Is that what you're hearing?
Quote by Jimmy94
you know, I just listened to it again and I think I hear what you're talking about... I think I put too much vibrato on some of the notes that got held on longer, especially for the lower harmony. Is that what you're hearing?

It was in the lower harmony. But like I said its minute, right at the beginning of a new line. I think it might be that you force a little bit too much air out after you take a breath and then you level the pitch back out. And the vibrato is good, and if it goes out of phase a little, its hardly noticeable.

I hope that made sense.
alright, thanks again

to get this back on the random chat, I highly recommend george benson's album White Rabbit... very cool spanish flavored jazz
So, I just thought that I would let 'yall know that I'm playing at our school's Battle of the Bands and I mashed together 'Hey Joe' and 'Purple Haze' as they all use Hendrix's infamous E7 chord that he likes

I got some harmonized scale to end Hey Joe then to the E7 then straight into Purple Haze. It should be good fun, it's me and my bro and a drummer. So yeah, it's probably gonna suck ass but I could care less cause we are doing it for the lulz It's in like 5 days and we haven't practiced with the drummer yet
It should be fun though
^Jealous

I just want to perform. Don't really care if it sucks or not.

I really need a drummer though.
^ I really need other musicians period
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Dimebag22
So, I just thought that I would let 'yall know that I'm playing at our school's Battle of the Bands and I mashed together 'Hey Joe' and 'Purple Haze' as they all use Hendrix's infamous E7 chord that he likes

I got some harmonized scale to end Hey Joe then to the E7 then straight into Purple Haze. It should be good fun, it's me and my bro and a drummer. So yeah, it's probably gonna suck ass but I could care less cause we are doing it for the lulz It's in like 5 days and we haven't practiced with the drummer yet
It should be fun though

Nice, man. Tried playing the Purple Haze solo with your teeth? I've always wanted to play Foxy Lady with a band, maybe one day.. Something about that volume swell then into the riff LOUD.. maybe with the singer (as I can't sing) doing the 'foxy' motions from Waynes World..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
get someone to videotape it and share it with us!

if I really wanted to embarass myself I could throw up some OLD recordings of my band back when I was 17... it's been 4 years now.

and for those of you that can't find musicians to play with, check to see if there are any bars/venues around you that have a musicians jam night. Just show up and know your blues standards and they'll throw you together with 3-8 other musicians that don't know what they're doing
Quote by Jimmy94
get someone to videotape it and share it with us!

if I really wanted to embarass myself I could throw up some OLD recordings of my band back when I was 17... it's been 4 years now.

and for those of you that can't find musicians to play with, check to see if there are any bars/venues around you that have a musicians jam night. Just show up and know your blues standards and they'll throw you together with 3-8 other musicians that don't know what they're doing

I've thought about it, they have a Jam session every Saturday at a local legion, I'm just not sure how they work and I'm afraid I'd make an ass out of myself
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
I've thought about it, they have a Jam session every Saturday at a local legion, I'm just not sure how they work and I'm afraid I'd make an ass out of myself

LOL everyone is an ass deep down inside.

I'm with you on the needing new musicians. Irvine doesn't really have a music scene in any respect.
Quote by imgooley
LOL everyone is an ass deep down inside.

I'm with you on the needing new musicians. Irvine doesn't really have a music scene in any respect.

someone's an optimist

yeah it sucks, and it's only going to get worse, because I'm going back home to B.C. in about a month and a half, and I live in a town of 1200 people

there are a few musicians there, one was actually the bassist for a band that had 15 minutes of fame, but his head is do far up his own ass he is the most condescending jerk I've ever seen, another is a youngin' that likes to think he is Vai or something and picks odd, distasteful chromatic licks all over the place.

I know someone that drums, and she is a really good friend of mine, that is it.
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98

Trust me, just do it. It'll be a good time, and you'll be hanging out with a bunch of fellow musicians. One of the best ways to become a better musician is to play with other people as often as you possibly can.
Quote by Jimmy94
Trust me, just do it. It'll be a good time, and you'll be hanging out with a bunch of fellow musicians. One of the best ways to become a better musician is to play with other people as often as you possibly can.

good point

arrrgh, you sold me, I'll check it out saturday

edit-

BTW, I have to compliment your avatar, its as badass as it is hypnotic
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Hypnotoad

And I just got back from doing my weekly blues/blues rock live and rarities radio show for my college's radio station. Hendrix show tonight, kicked ass, here's the playlist cause I'm bored

Star Spangled Banner - Woodstock
Machine Gun - Band of Gypsys
Catfish Blues - BBC Sessions
Hear My Train a Comin' - Martin Scorscese Presents
Purple Haze - BBC Sessions
Hey Joe - Monterey Pop
Little Wing [Live] - Experience Box Set
Voodoo Child [Live] - Experience Box Set
All Along the Watchtower [Live] - Experience Box Set (I wish I knew the concerts these came from :\)
Killing Floor - Monterey Pop
Slow Blues - Experience Box Set (one of hendrix's last recordings, brilliant jam)

Was a lot of fun, only managed to mess up twice (co-host said Buddy Guy played drums on Machine Gun when he meant to say Buddy Miles, and we played catfish/train out of order, but nothing too major)
Last edited by sre9981 at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by Jimmy94

I miss that show
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

@sre- I think that the Box Set lives are either Winterland or Paris.

@Jimmy- is there a place to find where stuff like that would be happening, or should I just use google? And i have no idea where that toad is from.

@carswell- Do a garage band with little drummer girl
Quote by imgooley
@sre- I think that the Box Set lives are either Winterland or Paris.

@Jimmy- is there a place to find where stuff like that would be happening, or should I just use google? And i have no idea where that toad is from.

@carswell- Do a garage band with little drummer girl

yeah, that could work

and the toad is from Futurama

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-iIYSZWLLPc&feature=related
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Feb 28, 2008,
Just in case you haven't heard, the great Buddy Miles died yesterday. visit www.buddymiles.com for more info

RIP Buddy
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

So you can speak to me in English, Spanish or Chinese

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
Braedon, where is this blues jam? I might have to check that out too!

And I'll try to get you guys a video of our performance if I can.

Yeah, I heard about Buddy Miles.
Quote by Dimebag22
Braedon, where is this blues jam? I might have to check that out too!

And I'll try to get you guys a video of our performance if I can.

Yeah, I heard about Buddy Miles.

it's at this legion in Kensington, I think its every saturday @ 2 or something
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I wish there was a proper blues jam night around here.. We have loads of acoustic sessions but never seen/heard of any electric ones. I play acoustic blues though when I can, some "I'm gonna find another you" or Hoochie Coochie Man or my own random blues shuffle songs.

I'm trying to start a blues band at the moment and it's hard as ****, everyone wants to play """indie""" in england. It's not even real indie.. bah..
Hell, I just want to start a band. I don't care what we play as long as it's good
he could just trick them into thinking blues=indie

win-win
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Blues is more indie than what they want to play. All they wanna do is sound like the arctic monkeys or bloc party and try to get rich quick.. There's nothing indie about it! That's what annoys me so much!

I may have to just start any band and then slowly steer it towards blusier stuff Lol Could work.
^that just might work
I'm loving the little blues/indie/garage band revival that seems to be going on now. Its awesome.

For now, I need to resume my quest to make my ultimate Blues/Indie/Hip-hop trio
^That sounds like an interesting combo. Have you heard The New Danger by Mos Def? Stuff like that?

And Join The Black Keys Group!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry shameless plug)
From what I just listend to on iTunes, take the backing lines from Bedstuy Parade & Funeral March, add some underground styled lyrics, and you got some sort of gist of it. I love the underground/old-school styling of hip-hop. Aesop Rock, Qwel, Josh Martinez, El-P, Sage Francis, etc are all on my playlist pretty often

This band came to my school earlier this year called Filthy Funk. They were a hip-hop influenced jazz trio who at points has emcees perform with them.

Basically its the mix of what I like, and it'd be awesome to get it all together at some point.

My ideal lineup would be

drums
bass
guitar
turntable for scratching and sampling

Its awesome.... in my head
Last edited by sre9981 at Feb 28, 2008,
hey dudes I just finished up a recording of that blues standard we all know and love, Stormy Monday!

check it out in my profile
Quote by sre9981
I'm loving the little blues/indie/garage band revival that seems to be going on now. Its awesome.

For now, I need to resume my quest to make my ultimate Blues/Indie/Hip-hop trio

if you want hip-hop and blues then "Blue Black Jack" from Mos Def's The New Danger cd is definitely something youd be interested in
Quote by Jimmy94
hey dudes I just finished up a recording of that blues standard we all know and love, Stormy Monday!

check it out in my profile

I really liked that man! I like your tone too. Sweet job dude. What kind of mic do you use to record?
Quote by Dimebag22
I really liked that man! I like your tone too. Sweet job dude. What kind of mic do you use to record?

I plugged my strat directly into a line6 toneport... I could've mic'd my amp but I'm pretty lazy