I'm trying to learn all the notes on the guitar. What I mean by this is to just look at a certain fret at a certain string and automatically know the note. I was wondering (if you have) how you guys did it.
I personally used Fret pro.

Go to download.com and look it up. It's basically a game that just teaches you the notes.

The only thing you will probably need will be at first a chart with all the notes on it. There is one in the guitar and bass basics forums look for "memorizing fretboard - easy method" There is a big one at the end of the quote box.

One thing that will also help is knowing how to relative tune, which will give you a reference point on each string.
theres a video on this the ug team put up on this site go watch it. very help
I took lessons for 4 years, learned theory, proper notation, not just tabs, and all positions of the neck.
Hal Lenard book ftw!
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I don't know them on guitar, but I do on violin (and know how to read music). You only need to learn them if you read music (not tabs) and/or you are writing your own music with theory.
Quote by polio23
theres a video on this the ug team put up on this site go watch it. very help

Can you please send me the link?
Learn the chromatic scale (C, C#, D, D# etc) and just go from the open string onto the next note. It'll take a while, but you'll get there.
Quote by KingJustinian25
You only need to learn them if you read music (not tabs) and/or you are writing your own music with theory.

Which is most likely why he's asking...
like a couple guys up there said, i use relative positions a lot, and know the chromatic scale to find the notes from there
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
It's a lot of work, and there are many ways to do it. One of the guys around here has an excellent method of learning them (I wish I had thought of it when I was learning the notes).

Theres the tried and true method of going up and down each string, singing the note names of each fret.

Another way I used is to go around the circle of fifths, finding every postition of the note. So I'd start at C and find every C on every string, then move on to G, D, A etc all around the circle. This helps memorise the notes as well as the Co5. You should sing each note.

Another good way is when you are practicing scales, sing out the names of the notes you are playing.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Memorize the notes on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets of every string.

The 5th fret on each string = the same note as the next string played open, except on the G string. (i.e. 5th fret on the E string is A.)
The 7th fret on each string = the same note as the previous string played open, except on the B string. (i.e. 7th fret on the A string is E.)
The 12th fret on each string = its octave. (i.e. 12th fret on the E string is E.)

Just memorize patterns like that to help you identify notes on the fretboard more quickly, and eventually you'll be able to identify any note anywhere in a snap.
Color
is
subjective.