Howdy. So I recently got a few friends together who are all somewhat musically talented. Actually most of us are in our first or second year of playing our instruments... so we're not really fully educated on the subject of gearing up for shows.

Right now I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a Line 6 Spider III 120(Yeah I know, I've heard), the FBV express board, and some crappy wah pedal and that's about it.

Basically, I want to know... will my guitar be good enough to do gigs with? What amp should I pick up to replace my practice amp? I'm not too big on effect pedals, maybe a little wah so I'm good on that end.

I'm a college student who works only about 20 hours a week... so my budget isn't in the thousands. We play hard rock/alternative rock type sounding. On my line 6 I use the metal setting and the crunch setting mostly to give an idea of what sounds I like with my amp.
If you want a "metal" tone, truth is, you'll never get a good sound under a budget. Cause all the low-end solid state and "hybrid" Marshalls suck complete a$$hole. However, if you can get a good clean amp that's not too expensive (Roland Jazz-Chorus for example) and a decent pedal, you might be ok.
Well what I would do is go onto www.craigslist.com and browse for marshall, b 52, fender, or if you're lucky enough an orange amp. you'd probably want about 50 watts+ for a tube combo or half stack. the Vox valvetronix line is worth checking out as well, although you may or may not want an added distortion pedal to get that extra oohmpf.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Lastly, don't get suckered into build-in effects and built-in multiple distortion effects, most of those amps suck a$$ too
I was looking at a Peavey ValveKing Half-Stack as something I might purchase. I can't find any decent reviews from places that don't actually sell them. Basically no where from places I can trust.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for a metal tone-- I just like good amounts of crunch with my playing. If I were to pick a band I play the most, I'd say Foo Fighters.
I have the exact same problem: same guitar, same Line 6.

We're about to start gigging, and we play a similar style, but emphasis on heavy distortion and good cleans.
If Im not mistake your question was is it good enough and thats really up to you. If you like the sound then do it. It also depends on where to. As a group youll need monitors to hear the vocals, pa speakers for the crowd to hear vocals, mics, drums, amps, guitar, bass , and your set really. Just use your ears and budget to decide if you like it and if you dont go to your local guitar store.
Quote by sanctus2k7
I was looking at a Peavey ValveKing Half-Stack as something I might purchase. I can't find any decent reviews from places that don't actually sell them. Basically no where from places I can trust.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for a metal tone-- I just like good amounts of crunch with my playing. If I were to pick a band I play the most, I'd say Foo Fighters.

Foos ftw!

I tested a Valveking a while ago, and I honestly say, I wasn't impressed much. WAY too sharp for my tastes. I would suggest mabe a Palomino, since you're just looking for crunch.

I tried an OD with my amp at a store, and it definately added some tightness to the signal.

Perhaps a Traynor?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by leadg
If Im not mistake your question was is it good enough and thats really up to you. If you like the sound then do it. It also depends on where to. As a group youll need monitors to hear the vocals, pa speakers for the crowd to hear vocals, mics, drums, amps, guitar, bass , and your set really. Just use your ears and budget to decide if you like it and if you dont go to your local guitar store.
I guess so. I kinda like the sound my Spider puts out. I just hear so much bagging on it I don't really know what to think. I'm a very new guitarist (just about 8-9 months into playing) so my opinions are easily swayed by mud flinging towards the gear I use.
Turn it up and see how much you like it. You should also consider that they are terribly unreliable and are likely to break in the middle of the gig.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not