I just uploaded the Band of Gypsies Live at the Fillmore to my iPod, and I've just been re-blown away by Hendrix's guitar tone.

What kind of amp/effects does he use in this performance other than his godly manhandling of the Strat?

Thanks.
Amazing album my friend. The second version of Machine Gun is way better than the first.

And you should ask in the ultimate settings thread, not here.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Marshall Plexi's, boosted by EHx LPB-2's. Also, silicon fuzz, univibe and octavia.
the obvious aspects of his tone are strats (i think with maple fretboards at this time if you want to get super technical), marshalls set to the brink of destruction, a silicon fuzz, and wah pedal, but one KEY part that is often forgotten is the univibe. there are tons of modern replicas of this pedal, and i would recommend the voodoo lab micro vibe. fulltones deja vibe 2 has a footpedal for varying the speed, but i was simply unimpressed by the sound, and it cut sustain like crazy. i think it's the only fulltone product i've played and found totally inferior in sound quality as well as being over priced.
Quote by freedumb
the obvious aspects of his tone are strats (i think with maple fretboards at this time if you want to get super technical), marshalls set to the brink of destruction, a silicon fuzz, and wah pedal, but one KEY part that is often forgotten is the univibe. there are tons of modern replicas of this pedal, and i would recommend the voodoo lab micro vibe. fulltones deja vibe 2 has a footpedal for varying the speed, but i was simply unimpressed by the sound, and it cut sustain like crazy. i think it's the only fulltone product i've played and found totally inferior in sound quality as well as being over priced.
That's an understatement

But yeah, Band of Gypsys was all Strat, silicon fuzz, wah, univibe (mmm, Machine Gun ), octavia and Marshalls. Great tone, the best live album ever as far as I'm concerned. Who Knows, Machine Gun, and Power to Love (Power of Soul, if you will) kick complete ass.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
That's an understatement

But yeah, Band of Gypsys was all Strat, silicon fuzz, wah, univibe (mmm, Machine Gun ), octavia and Marshalls. Great tone, the best live album ever as far as I'm concerned. Who Knows, Machine Gun, and Power to Love (Power of Soul, if you will) kick complete ass.

agreed. Also Being god + breathing the music helps as well