I've recently started playing with a good friend of mine who is very good at guitar. He's been playing for somthing like 15 - 20 years (he's around 30). Anyway, I play mostly acoustic, and to my credit I don't totally suck, but since I've only been seriously playing for a few years, I'm wayyyy below him in the technical dept. That's not the problem, however.

He plays mostly metal. He can do softer stuff, but he's primarily drop C crunchy metal. I play acoustic. Fingerstyle. In standard. Obviously, not a match made in heaven. However, he likes my sound and wants to incorporate the two. The problem is, I have trouble matching "metal tones". I understand a little theory, so I get what he means in principle when he says "make it more diminished", but in practice it all ends up sounding very..... major scale, I guess.

Anyone got any songs/tips/suggested listening to help me make my acoustic a little more angry? I can duplicate pick type sounds with my fingernail, but since I'm fingerstyle tremolo/alt picking/squealies etc are out, which in our case is fine because he more then covers that department. I realize this is kind of a silly question, but any help would be greatly appriciated.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
well the first thing you need to do is tune down to C so that you can actually play the same fret and get the same note. get me? shadows fall- the light that blinds has a great acoustic intro, dimebag darrell from pantera played alot of badass softer sounding stuff. black metal also has really awesome stuff, like dimmu borgir, cradle of filth, etc.
Cover it in Behemoth stickers?

If you want to make it REALLY angry, don't clean it, and don't give it new strings. And don't play it for a week so it feels neglected. And sleep with other guitars, and don't make a secret of it. You want the word to spread.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Rock some Phrygian progressions first off. Even using pretty simple power chord progressions you can get some really metal stuff in that mode. For solos I tend to lean towards Aeolian.. I know its not the most metal but I think it gives a very nice/tight sound without being un-metal.
"The sounds of the universe were joined together according to musical concord" -Plato

Quote by adamungar1
Don't quote me, but I think it's a requirement to pledge allegiance if you're running for president :S

myspace.com/musicartenergy
AIM: enmusicerartgy
Ii Could Care Less Devildirver
The Bleeding Five Finger Death Punch
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
distortion
an electric guitar
minor scales
minor penatonics
harmonic minors
drop tunings
BALLZ
anger
and stuff
Children of Bodom- Intro to Bed of Razors

It will take a while to get down, but it is SICK
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
phrygian mode is good, learn the harmonic minor scale if you don't already know it.
Yeah, I've been playing in drop C. No offense, but duh

It has more to do with my playing style I guess. I revolve more around chords so everything has this sugary-sweet sound to it when it needs to be angrier and more "evil" sounding, for lack of a better term.

-Edit- So the phyrgian mode has a lot of that kinda diminished off-tone sound I keep hearing?
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Try using minor scales. Also i don't know how to tell you to do this but try to get a medieval type sound, it should compromise his metal playing greatly.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Cover it in Behemoth stickers?

If you want to make it REALLY angry, don't clean it, and don't give it new strings. And don't play it for a week so it feels neglected. And sleep with other guitars, and don't make a secret of it. You want the word to spread.

this too
First of all.
Listen to metal
Lots. Of. Metal.
Live it, eat it, drink it, piss it, **** it.
Okay. Now, try to stay in the same tuning with him.
The scales and modes listed earlier are great to mess with.
Learn some metal. Learn more metal. Learn a lot more ****ing metal.
Then you should have a better understanding about what oyu're looking for, what does and doesn't sound metal, and most importantly, how to get there, and apply it.
actually, you might want to just learn all the modes and pick the ones you like best. Phrygian is not always the most metal. it actually sounds Latin sometimes. Sepultura...?
Quote by zultone
First of all.
Listen to metal
Lots. Of. Metal.
Live it, eat it, drink it, piss it, **** it.
Okay. Now, try to stay in the same tuning with him.
The scales and modes listed earlier are great to mess with.
Learn some metal. Learn more metal. Learn a lot more ****ing metal.
Then you should have a better understanding about what oyu're looking for, what does and doesn't sound metal, and most importantly, how to get there, and apply it.

Yeah, that's what has me so frustrated. I've been listening to metal pretty much all my life, but I can't seem to get the tones out of my guitar. I dunno, maybe more listening is in order, but I've been blasting my eardrums out since "And justice for all" came out
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Chug riffs

or

String Skipping riffs

or both.... Go with both.
Quote by bassmaniac101

You are amazing.

Quote by Arch1119
^^yay photoshop...you made me lol all over myself
Breakdowns...always cool in my opinion

Get some down tuning on the go

Palm mute the sum bitch

Use a pick aswell. alot easier for metal.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Learn some diminished chords, the phygrian mode, harmonic minor scale, some minor arpeggios....Call of Ktulu has some dark sounding stuff that can be finger-picked...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I open to changing to a pick, but I'm pretty decent with fingerstyle and that's the part of my playing that he really wants to incorporate.. I guess there's a reason most metal guitarists don't play finger, but will using a pick really make that dramatic a difference?
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
start listening to Opeth. learn from the best, that's my suggestion.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Try playing chromatic minor chord progressions. Like, play an arpeggio with an A minor bar chord at the fifth fret, then play the same finger picking pattern on the fourth, then the third.

When it's done it sounds pretty black metal-ish.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Kid Fisto
start listening to Opeth. learn from the best, that's my suggestion.

Yeah, I've listened to a little Opeth and I haven't been dissapointed yet. I'll dig into more of their stuff

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H