I mean, really appreciate them. Not just listen to them, but listen to them. What do you do when going about it?

When I want to properly listen to an album, I'll turn out all the lights and listen to it through professional DJ-style headphones from start to finish.

Just thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone does.
the first time i open it, i go to whole way through while browsing the net so it kind of goes in sub-consciously, then i'll gradually get more acquainted with it over a few days of more serious listening whenever i get time
I'll listen to it all the way through first, and, usually, I won't get anything out of it.

Then I'll re-listen to it again about a week or two later, and I'll usually be able to formulate an opinion on it from the 2nd to 4th or 5th listen.
The.
i will first listen to it while working most likely on a stereo. then maybe while fallnig asleep. and at some point i will analyze it, and find what i really like and what i don't so much.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I'll listen to it all the way through first, and, usually, I won't get anything out of it.

Then I'll re-listen to it again about a week or two later, and I'll usually be able to formulate an opinion on it from the 2nd to 4th or 5th listen.

Like that.
It's gonna be a blue day
I used to sit there and go through the whole album, reading the lyrics as I go. Nowadays I tend to whack it on whilst doing something else, whether it's just relaxing, cooking or whatever. I actually find listening to an album whilst doing something else a better way to figure out how good it is - that way on the second listen you can see how much you picked up first time through.
ill start with the first track, and on through the cd, ill skip the song if it doesnt catch my attention, so i dont listen to it as a whole. i eventually become more acquainted with them tho
I usually skip through songs until i hear something good unless its a band like Opeth or Tool, then i listen to the whole thing.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Quote by americnidiot
the first time i open it, i go to whole way through while browsing the net so it kind of goes in sub-consciously, then i'll gradually get more acquainted with it over a few days of more serious listening whenever i get time

+1 Exact same thing for me!
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
I turn off the lights and lie on my bed and listen to it (speakers on either side of my bed pointing in). BTW the new meshuggah album is awesome, I was listening to it today and I believe it'll get people into meshuggah, it's much more "accessable" than their other albums.
I'm really so excited about it, you all should give it a go, even if you don't like metal.

Anyway, yeah I like to listen to it once, concentrating on it, and then lsiten to it while doing something else, I find that helps me find the songs that I really like and can get into.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I am the type of guy that if the song doesn't catch my attention in the first 10 seconds, I'm on to the next. Usually I try to come back and listen tho.
i usually listen to it through headphones while doing something that will take a while and doesn't require too much though so i can focus on the music
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Usually I'll stick it on mmy Mp3 player and listen to it on my commute to uni, or just at the computer or w/e.

Whenever there's music playing I tend to pay attention to it.

I'm usually pretty critical, I notice how good the production is (or if its over produced) listen to the quality of the musicianship, look out for stuff that I like that'll bring me back to that record.

If I don't find anything that holds my attention I'll be unlikely to go back to that album for a long time.
From start to finish a couple times on the first day. Then, over time, I focus on the songs I like more and gradually move to the others.