alright well i was a bit hesitant on putting this up but i figured i would anyways. i made a really basic song with some simple chords and put it in my mp3 section. Its kind of a Rock / metalcore sound, I do apologize about the quality and that i didnt use a metronome so the timing is a bit shazy and I messed up a few times but whatever. Im looking for some constructive criticism if possible, about song structure, ideas etc... thanks.

EDIT: I also just added another riff to my mp3 section. This riff would be for the same song but I am unsure as to where to put it, Maybe I should replace the original "breakdown" piece at 3 minutes with it, im unsure where to fit it in. Let me know if you think it should be in there or not.
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
Last edited by Lettherebeshred at Feb 22, 2008,
Not bad playing wise. Not going to mention the tone as you've already said you know its not the best. Only gripe is that it's very generic.
thanks for the input^
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
My advice would be don't be afraid to jump around a little on the neck. Playing everything within a tight little area makes for the generic sounding riffs. Find one chord you can change that throws it out of the box.... maybe shift up a string or something for a chord to mix it up. This obviously requires a bunch of experimentation.

The tone was very muddy and makes your big chords sound terrible. Do you have it plugged into a line in with no preamp or something?

Your playing is pretty wicked. I like the flow of it, and think you could actually make a really cool song with the parts that you put up here.

You should get a beat going to help you with the arrangement and flow of the song. Beats inspire a lot of rhythmic stuff to pour out of you when you start grooving to them.

Check mine out? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792782
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
^yeah i just have it plugged into my laptop. I haven't purchased any recording products yet but might in the future. Thanks for the opinion.
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
The riffing itself is pretty good, but the the tone is, as said, pretty ****ty just because of the recording setup you used. Much of it has a very nice flow and the riffs are interesting, and if there was more palm muting i'd say it reminded me of in flames or some other melo death kind of band a little. The weakest part of the song wasn't that the riffs were a little repetitive and what not, it was the part at about 3:00 minutes in. This part desperately needs a transition of some sort, since it literally just comes out of nowhere. You go from a mid tempo melodic set of riffs to a fast machine gun sounding riff. Overall, it's a good fire song and because your technical skills are already up there you'll be able to focus on honing your song writing skills.

Check mine out if you've got some time, please: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794054
Yeah the part at 3:00 minutes was an attempt at a different sounding breakdown, i played it on my c1 fr before and after the slow part right before it 4-----7h9p7p0--- i would use the floyd to dive out of the 0 to whatever below that would be then hit back into the breakdown, i didnt use the floyd for this recording so it didnt flow as well. Thanks for the input though^
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
I also just added another riff to my mp3 section. This riff would be for the same song but I am unsure as to where to put it, Maybe I should replace the original "breakdown" piece at 3 minutes with it, im unsure where to fit it in. Let me know if you think it should be in there or not.
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab