I have a Marshall MG50DFX and I have three effects pedals; Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, and a Digitech Death Metal. When I plug all of them in together using those small connecter cables that you get at Guitar Center for like $5 each, I noticed that with 1 pedal connected at once (so Amp-Pedal1-Guitar), the sound is fine, but when the pedals are stringed toghther (Amp-Pedal1-Pedal2-Pedal3) and only one of the pedals is turned on, the sound diminishes greatly. With 2 plugged together, it halves the sound (so 5 vol. would be 2.5 and 10, 5) and with the addition of a 3rd pedal, the amp is completeley quite.

I have had the pedals maybe 2 months, and the amp around 3 months. I use a Schecter C-1 Elite which I have had for a year, so I think my Guitar and Amp are fine, but there may be something wrong with the cords/pedals or batteries.

Another pedal problem I have is the pedals take up massive amounts of battery power even when they aren't turned on. I had to buy an AC adapter to plug into the pedal I'm using and plug it into the wall so I don't use up a battery a day. This makes me very angry because I want to buy more pedals, but I don't want to buy a powerstrip (costly) and more AC adapters for each pedal I buy, and if I can't combine a string of pedals (which means as of right now I'm forced to use only 1 at a time) then it would make buying many of the pedals I have my eye on pointless.

Can I please get some help? Thank you.
Dean Z-X Fund: $50 out of $200 (25%)

My Gear:
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Elite
Amp: B-52 ST-6012
Pedals/Other: BOSS Dynamic Wah, BOSS Metal Zone MT-2

Massive Failure
having lots of pedals IS pointless if you don't have a decent amp. *hint hint*
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
boss pedals are not true bypass so they will suck your tone. if you're using batteries you have to unplug the patch cables when you're done. if you use an ac adapter you can daisy chain the power from one pedal to the next.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
The pedals are only "off" when there are no cables in the input jacks.
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Crate XT120R
(broken) Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah

lolzords
Do these two things first.
1. Change the order the pedals come in.
2. Check that you're using the correct voltage in the power supplies.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
It seem almost impossible, but you have the worst amp on earth and three of the worst pedals on earth. What are the chances?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by lagunasunrise
Do these two things first.
1. Change the order the pedals come in.
2. Check that you're using the correct voltage in the power supplies.

Thanks for the only real help!

Rest of you, I didn't ask for your doushebag opinions if I did, the title of the thread would have read, "Calling all narcissists - need unoriginal insults". I guess it is abit hard to read a post when you have a mouth full of come, isn't it?

My Gear:

Massive Failure
The only good thing I can say about you is that your name accurately describes your gear.
Um, you don't need 3 distortion pedals. Using more pedals with the MG will only add to its crappyness. And may I ask why you are using the SD-1 when you have a solid state amp?

About the volume problem, try changing the order of the pedals. And to connect more than one pedal at once without batteries, you need to daisy chain them. Use the patch cables to connect the pedals, then buy something like the 1 SPOT adapter and the multi-plug cable that goes with it.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Massive Failure
Thanks for the only real help!

Rest of you, I didn't ask for your doushebag opinions if I did, the title of the thread would have read, "Calling all narcissists - need unoriginal insults". I guess it is abit hard to read a post when you have a mouth full of come, isn't it?

how the **** was my post not helpful? i feel unloved. =(
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Well, the pedals where on Xmas sale for 25 bucks each, and I thought "What the Hell, since I play all types of music, why not have a range of distortion that fits each?" With those 3 pedals I can play anything from classic rock to death metal. And I happen to not like the built in overdrive on the amp, and I don't get why Marshall all of a sudden sucks so badly. And obviously the word "help" translates to "Please give me your biased and useless opinions" in the dialect I like to call 'notesties' or, "A lack of testicles" or in laymans terms "no sack".

My Gear:

Massive Failure
Quote by doctorums
how the **** was my post not helpful? i feel unloved. =(

I forgot to click quote on your post, sorry >_>

My Gear:

Massive Failure
We never said marshalls were bad, just the mg. It's definitely the worst amp marshall makes not to mention a huge rip off.
Give this kid a break. If he wanted opinions on his Rig, he would've said so. He wants help for a problem, buying a whole new rig will not change the fact that his pedals will lower in volume when he uses them.

Anyways, Check the settings on the pedals and post them on here. Do you use batteries? Are they in the FX loop (Does the MG have one?) On in front of the amp?
Ok, I know I'm late to reply on this thread but here is what you should actually do/have done.

Firstly, the volume is going to reduce with the more pedals and cheap cables you put between the guitar and the amp. While I'd expect there to be a little loss in volume that increases with more pedals added, the extremity of the volume loss you mention I can only describe as poor quality components in the pedals and poor quality cables.

As for the battery loss, have you been unplugging the cables from the input jack? The pedal uses battery the moment the input jack is in contact with the cable. When you aren't playing, turn your amp off and pull the cables out of the input jacks.

Finally, the amp could well be contributing to the problem aswell in its own way...afterall...it's a Marshall MG at the end of the day, and they deserve to be burned in the firiest pits of hell
Last edited by last_biscuit at Feb 27, 2008,
My suggestion would be to not plug them all in at the same time. Why in god's name would you use an OD and two metal distortions at the same time? I doubt you would even be able to hear the notes, especially considering you're using an MG. My suggestion would be to sell at least one of those pedals (one of the distortions). I really don't think you need all that.

Seriously though, I can't think of a way to get a worse tone, other then tweaking the settings so the mids are scooped and the treble is really boosted.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
last_bisket pretty much gave the best advice. Battery powered pedals must have the input cable unplugged after use or the batteries continue to drain. You may be suffering from weak batteries. You can get power cable daisy chains so you don't need to have a wall wart for each pedal. A 200ma supply should power 3 distortion pedals.

Assuming power is good if you engage the first distortion pedal in the chain you shouldn't have a weak signal. Engaging only the last pedal should cause the worst volume drop. That's because a pedal should buffer and amplify the signal. So tone loss after an active pedal should not be as bad as before. Your guitar pups are the weakest drivers so the closer in the chain you have an active pedal the better. A tuner like the Korg DT-10 in front should counter volume loss. Also a cheap eq like the Fish&Chips placed in front of the other pedals should give you good drive and minimal volume loss.

You volume loss is so severe that it seems like you have a weak power problem. Look into the One Spot power supply. If you can solder then a trip to Radio Shack will get you everything you need if you want to create your own power diasy chain cables.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The only good thing I can say about you is that your name accurately describes your gear.

LOL good one.

and ye no one said Marshall is ****, its just the mg.

maybe u should sell the overdrive and one of the distortion pedals since the overdrive will be useless for a solid state and u only need one distortion.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by metalhead_365
didnt u try the pedals before u bought em?

Do you really think he tests gear much if he has an MG?