I've changed the pickups on my guitar to a '59 neck and JB bridge, and I have also changed replaced the original 3-way switch. I thought I had all the wiring correct when I was finished because everything was working like a charm, until I started playing around with my 3-way selector. The rhythm works fine when the switch is on rhythm and the treble works fine when the treble is switched on. But when I place the switch in the middle to turn both pickups on, I can only hear the rhythm (neck) pickup, or at least it sounds exactly the same to the neck pickup. The volume knobs and tone knobs were all the way up when I checked. If it helps determine the wiring problem, the '59 (neck) is a single-conductor pickup and the JB (bridge) is a 4-conductor pickup. I'm not sure whether the problem lies in the selector switch, or if it's the wiring on my pots. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Use a ballpoint pen to tap on the coil slugs - if you can hear the tapping through the amp, then the pickup is active. Use this to determine which pickup is working at what position of the switch, rather than just using your ears.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Middle position usually doesnt sound much different than neck position. So the tap test is the best way to find out.
Ah ok I just tried it. I guess there's no problem then. You're right tackleberry, there isn't really much difference in the middle and neck position. Thanks guys.
Try raising the bridge pickup or lowering the neck pickup, it should be a lot easier to tell the difference between neck and neck+bridge.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."