Im guessing not all laptops come with one?

I got an Acer laptop a while ago and that came with a vista "upgrade" CD and I used it to reformat the computer. Well I opened the box for yet another acer laptop last night only to find that it didn't come with any CD so I'm just wondering how I reformat without it?

I have a few copies of vista business but i was not sure if I could use one of those...
y 'upgrade' when u are truly downgrading? unless u have '95 or '98 or Millenium, then u have no reason.

XP FTW
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
You can use another disc as long as you know the CD key for the computer.

If you try to use the same key on different machines = piracy.
Quote by Angus_Junior35
y 'upgrade' when u are truly downgrading? unless u have '95 or '98 or Millenium, then u have no reason.

XP FTW

Give me reasons of why Vista is bad.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
You got to make a restore image on your lalptop then burn a DVD of it, so whenever you want to restore to that image you pop the DVD you burned in and you can restore it. Thats how ours was anyways.

It should show you how to do it.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
I have vista and love it, see my sig....

Also this laptop already has vista basic on it.
I believe vista is a nice upgrade.

Theres a "Product key" at the bottom of the laptop...
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
I have vista and love it, see my sig....

Also this laptop already has vista basic on it.
I believe vista is a nice upgrade.

Theres a "Product key" at the bottom of the laptop...

Agreed.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by homstar670
You got to make a restore image on your lalptop then burn a DVD of it, so whenever you want to restore to that image you pop the DVD you burned in and you can restore it. Thats how ours was anyways.

It should show you how to do it.

any vista users here know how I would go about doing that?
I have an Acer Extensa 5429 w/ Vista. You shouldn't need a restore disk. My computer has a thing to do it w/o an external disk. I really like this option, however i did make a disk just in case. Do a search on your computer for restore. You should be able to figure it out from there. Should be an option that is already on your computer.

btw, I hardly think Vista is a downgrade. I love it. No problems whatsoever. Would highly recomend it. I have never used XP, other than at school, which is a joke, but i dont understand how so many people dont like vista. Most people just read something and dont like it i guess. (I said MOST people, not all)
Last edited by Kornakopia at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by TooFast
Give me reasons of why Vista is bad.

It's generally bad for laptops because it requires a lot of processing power and memory. Typically, you'd have to have a high end laptop to run it smoothly. Otherwise, boot time and run time are painfully slow.

Vista is much better for desktops, which are more powerful and easy to upgrade hardware.

General rule of thumb for Windows:
PC: Vista, Laptop: XP

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
When you boot hit F7 and pick "repair" or something like that. Vista partitions part of the HDD off for backup. You can reformat without a CD this way.

Also, if you have a Vista upgrade CD, that should also work. It is not piracy because when you buy a program or OS from Microsoft, you are licensed to use it on 3 computers.
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's generally bad for laptops because it requires a lot of processing power and memory. Typically, you'd have to have a high end laptop to run it smoothly. Otherwise, boot time and run time are painfully slow.

Vista is much better for desktops, which are more powerful and easy to upgrade hardware.

My laptop has Vista and it is not a super high end laptop. You just need 2 gigs of RAM and a decent duo processor.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
My laptop (Acer) runs fine. Very fast for me. Im running 1.9 ghz, 2G RAM w/ AMD Turion 64 X2 processor.
Quote by Kornakopia
My laptop (Acer) runs fine. Very fast for me. Im running 1.9 ghz, 2G RAM w/ AMD Turion 64 X2 processor.

That should handle it pretty well.

However, many laptops around the 800-1000 dollar price range still only have 1GB of RAM and a lower end Core 2 Duo or Turion 64.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i know both HP laptops ive had (one with XP and one with Vista) have a separate hard drive partition with the system restore information. you dont need the disks. at startup you hit something like F11 (i could be wrong about that. i know its F something), and it takes you into the system restore. you also have the option of creating restore disks yourself.

see if your laptop is similar to that maybe. im guessing it is since it didnt come with any disks.
Quote by Kornakopia
My acer was only $500 at Best Buy. Well on sale $150 off.

I said most...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

IDK...I have it on two Acer laptops,
1) Acer Aspire 5315 - Single core Intel Celeron-M 530 1.73GHz processor, 1GB ram
2) Acer Aspire 5570Z - Intel Core Duo 1.6GHz processor, 1GB ram

Both are fair with vista although the 5315 does lag a little when working with many windows open...both startup quite fast though.

My Acer Aspire t180 came with 512MB of ram and a single core AMD 2.20GHz processor...now that was very slow on startup until I got it up to a min. of 1GB ram...I currently run it with 2GB though since its like $20 a stick.

I would happily use any computer with vista if it had at least 1GB of ram and a fair SC processor at the min.

I got both of these laptops for under $400.
Also the reason for the reformat is to remove the hard drive partition since its only got an 80GB drive in there which is currently cut in half...not good.
I also want to get all the crap software they install on there off so it runs faster.

This 5315 is only a backup laptop for my brother for a few weeks...nothing like games will be used...just some internet and word software.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 22, 2008,
My Acer laptop came with an LOL key on the keyboard. When I press it, it dumps Vista and downloads the free O.S. Ubuntu, all problems solved
Quote by n2dabloo
My Acer laptop came with an LOL key on the keyboard. When I press it, it dumps Vista and downloads the free O.S. Ubuntu, all problems solved

Does it come with a key that drops you off the "omgvistaissogaybecuzicantaffordapcthatcanrunit" bandwagon?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
<bought two new laptops recently, yes, I can afford to. Anyway, Vista came on both and left on both rather quickly. Vista sucks my friend.
mine was the same. its so annoying. they dont give you a chance to choose something other than microsoft, like linux. and they dont even give you the disk to do it over when the microsoft is too full of viruses.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by n2dabloo
<bought two new laptops recently, yes, I can afford to. Anyway, Vista came on both and left on both rather quickly. Vista sucks my friend.

And where those decent laptops or cheap ones? Because my laptop cost around $1600 (which is a decent machine for just messing around on) and Vista runs perfectly. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it does not function properly.

Although I will admit my PC, which is very high end, came with XP so I haven't upgraded to Vista on it yet. Maybe I will eventually but no reason to buy a copy of Vista.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
the first was an HP dv6000, cost ~$1500, this one: Toshiba, ~$900, any future ones will be all Mac
I thought Vista looked pretty uninteresting when it first came out, but at this point it seems very solid to me.

Of course, to be fair, I don't own it, but I've used it on several computers and really checked it out, and it's a lot better than when it was first released. But then again, it should be.

But then again again, I'm not really the big computer expert, but I know a thingy or two.

I'm not going to upgrade this PC. I'll wait when I get a new computer in 3 or 4 years before I upgrade. This one is about 2 1/2 years old, it's got 1 gig of memory, but the processor is out of date at this point.