I am wanting to fade the cherry sunburst finish on my les paul copy and was wondering if there were any ways other than leaving it in the sun to fade the finish. I think the red is too bright and the finish is too shiny. I have used the search button but found nothing, so I was wondering if you could help

As you can see the laquer is very shiny and reflective, whereas I would like a dull finish.

The cherry red is quite bright. I know it sounds weird but I would prefer "lifeless" and the blend between the outer cherry and the inner orangeness to be less obvious. In terms of the shinyness I would like something that looks like this:

I know the colour would not fade to this, but it gives the general idea of what I am going for, so can anyone give me any techniques to fade the guitar without damaging its playability and without gigging for decades on it. I want that battered look without having to batter it for years. Thanks if you can help (if it is even possible)
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at Feb 21, 2008,
what does your little switch do?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
well nothing at the moment because I havent hooked it up but it is for coil-tapping so I can use the humbuckers as single coils
try paint thinner lol
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
would leaving it in the sun take ages? plus would it make the laquer dull? living in the north east of england, the sun doesnt come out much
i dont think that you will be able to get the red and yellow to flow together more without a refinish.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
i dont think that you will be able to get the red and yellow to flow together more without a refinish.

thats fair enough, could i just make them duller though?

and would paint thinner not damage it?
sand it down?
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
you could take some very fine steel wool to the finish, that would make it more satin-y. Make sure to sand in the same direction.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
you could take some very fine steel wool to the finish, that would make it more satin-y. Make sure to sand in the same direction.

i agree. and, if your going for the idea of the relicd guitar you posted, just keep a rubbing with the steel wool on the edges.

For steel woold grit, i used 0000