they're called a superstrat because of the shape. the sound would likely be more gibson-esque. the sound from a strat is largely due to the single coils, so unless you put those in your superstrat, it'll have the thick humbucker tone.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Quote by darkfire_storm
they're called a superstrat because of the shape. the sound would likely be more gibson-esque. the sound from a strat is largely due to the single coils, so unless you put those in your superstrat, it'll have the thick humbucker tone.

They aren't called 'Superstrats' because of the shape. They're called 'Superstrats' because the original ones essentially were 'Super' Strats. They were modified with things like adding a humbucker and a Floyd Rose vibrato system. 'Course, they were pretty super beforehand.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They aren't called 'Superstrats' because of the shape. They're called 'Superstrats' because the original ones essentially were 'Super' Strats. They were modified with things like adding a humbucker and a Floyd Rose vibrato system. 'Course, they were pretty super beforehand.

They should really just call the current ones Superstrats, and the Superstrats Superdupermegauberstrats, or something alike.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Correct. I forget who coined the term, but I remember it was around 1981 and used in reference to a Charvel.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

...so it is called a superstrat because of the shape. If you bastardize a telecaster, they're not gonnu call it a superstrat. But do the same thing to an S shape and that's what they call it. Right?
Quote by Bobbito315
...so it is called a superstrat because of the shape. If you bastardize a telecaster, they're not gonnu call it a superstrat. But do the same thing to an S shape and that's what they call it. Right?

Putting a humbucker or Floyd in a guitar does not change its shape unless you are disturbingly inept with a router.
Quote by Bobbito315

I was going on the notion that maybe darkfire was referring to the 'Superstrats' we have now, which aren't exactly 'Stratocaster' shapes. I was explaining that they called them 'Superstrats' because they were 'Super' versions of a standard 'Stratocaster' and not due to their shape.

Thanks for being a smart-ass though! It's appreciated!

I'm just ribbing on you man. I don't mean that.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
it won't sound gibson'ish, because strats are made from alder, which is a very bright tonewood. it will just sound hotter, but still bright. listen to iron maiden for some superstrat sound samples.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel
it won't sound gibson'ish, because strats are made from alder, which is a very bright tonewood. it will just sound hotter, but still bright. listen to iron maiden for some superstrat sound samples.

Along with Ratt, Van Halen, and every other hair band from then, Super Strats arent a defined tone. Iron Maiden just has your typical NWOBH (and later Power Metal) sound. The humbuckers were added to beef up the tone without hum and the Floyds were added for stability.
It will sound like a Superstrat, just like a Strat sounds like a Strat, a Tele sounds like a Tele, and a Les Paul sounds like a Les Paul.
Dickless.
Quote by CJRocker
Putting a humbucker or Floyd in a guitar does not change its shape unless you are disturbingly inept with a router.

Thats. Just. Funny.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It realy depends on the woods used, but motss superstrats use alder or basswood for the body, which is a fairly bringt wood; the neck is almost always maple and rosewood. This combination of woods plus humbuckers in the guitar leads to a fat sound, but with and added brightness to it, meaning essentially that most superstrats sound like a strat with more balls, and an overall fatter sound.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
It realy depends on the woods used, but motss superstrats use alder or basswood for the body, which is a fairly bringt wood; the neck is almost always maple and rosewood. This combination of woods plus humbuckers in the guitar leads to a fat sound, but with and added brightness to it, meaning essentially that most superstrats sound like a strat with more balls, and an overall fatter sound.

what about mahagony body in superstrats, maple neck
^that would make the guitar have a sound very similar to a les paul, as LP's have mahagony bodies with maple caps, and the necks have rosewood fretboards.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by CJRocker

Alvarez Scoop - advertised as a revolutionary new design to increase sustain, in reality the result of somebody sneezing whilst operating the bandsaw.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeahthat plus they had deeper cut aways in most cases. allowing easier access to upper frets.
^^ Taking away body mass doesn't sound like a good way to increase sustain.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by steven seagull
Alvarez Scoop - advertised as a revolutionary new design to increase sustain, in reality the result of somebody sneezing whilst operating the bandsaw.

Haha, I almost bought one of those the other day... True story too. Great players, but they were fragile as hell.
Quote by CJRocker
Haha, I almost bought one of those the other day... True story too. Great players, but they were fragile as hell.

Years ago almost bought one of these (while stoned.) I can imagine what that neck would be like in a few months.
All the SuperStrats I have played (including my MIJ) sound way closer to Strats than a Gibson. I obviously haven't played them all.
I have a Samick YR-660 Scorpian Plus that I bought new in '93. I was told it was a "Super Strat" because of the licensed Floyd Rose, a humbucker pickup along with 2 single coils and the deep spoon cutouts to get to the 24th fret.

Haven't touched it since I bought the VG a couple of weeks ago....Now THAT is a SUPER Strat!!
Last edited by Gage2k5 at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

I...

I got nuthin...
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by MetalMilitia212
It will sound like a Superstrat, just like a Strat sounds like a Strat, a Tele sounds like a Tele, and a Les Paul sounds like a Les Paul.

agreed.

they sound like a strat with a humbucker in it, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Jackson Soloist and my Ibanez Jem sound nothing like a fender or a gibson. If you want a thick sound get a les paul, if you want a vintage/blues sound get a strat. If you want a versatile guitar and a shred machine get a super strat.
Quote by steven seagull

That is f*cking ugly.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Gage2k5
I have a Samick YR-660 Scorpian Plus that I bought new in '93. I was told it was a "Super Strat" because of the licensed Floyd Rose, a humbucker pickup along with 2 single coils and the deep spoon cutouts to get to the 24th fret.

Haven't touched it since I bought the VG a couple of weeks ago....Now THAT is a SUPER Strat!!

This is an update to my post on this "Super Strat" thread.

Since I purchased the VG, I had not touched the Scorpian Plus, until yesterday. I have been learning Canon Rock, and noticed many of the You Tube guitarists were using guitars more designed for metal (big exception is Jerry C who originally arranged the song using a Strat.)

I was pretty happy with the VG's sound using the humbucker mode until I picked up the Scorpian Plus, and man this thing was built for this song. It is made from alder as the Strat is, but it is much heavier, so the sustain with distortion is much better. Plus, with 24 frets, it is much easier to play up the neck to get to the higher notes.

So I am really happy I did not sell the Scorpian Plus as I have decided to go a little more into metal stuff, and once I upgrade all the junk hardware this guitar has, it will rival my Strat in quality. However, the VG will remain my main guitar for rock and surf rock....there is just something about the sound and feel of the Strat that I love that the Samick does not even come close to.
Last edited by Gage2k5 at May 27, 2008,