I listen to a lot of other bands, and their lyrics don't rhyme, but they sound awesome. I have trouble writing lyrics that don't rhyme, and this is a problem for me. My rhymes always sound forced, like I just forced a word in there so it would rhyme. How would I avoid this?
write a story, then split it into chapters, then sort out teh lyrics over some awesome gutiar, bass, vocal and drum work.

it works for opeth?
i hate it when the rhymes are forced but by the same token i think its generally accepted that its better if the lyrics do rhyme. a basic pop song, which obviously places the most emphasis on the vocal melody and lyrics, should probably have rhyming but complex rock or metal or something would not have as much emphasis on the vocals - eg mars volta, tool, opeth. IMO

i have the same problem if i try to write something, the rhymes sound forced and cliched. i think everything i write sounds bad and cliched though so hopefully its just me haha. im gonna try the story method, i started one a while ago. wrote like 6 lines then went to sleep.

try rhyming every odd line or something like line 1 and 3 rhyme and 2 and 4 or only one out of those, it doesnt sound so forced then i think and the rhymes sound better also i think. also i think in some songs you can purposely make lines that dont rhyme and then some that do, i think this gives the ones that do more emphasis and makes that little passage more emotional or just cooler in general
Thanks, I've been trying that a little bit, I guess I'll just have to work on it. My band plays 70's and 80's style stuff, sort of influenced by Avenged Sevenfold, so I guess lyrical melody is mildly important.
cool, yeh its always important. but i spose less so for bands like mars etc. than the beatles. at least your writing something. man i cant think of anything to write, i try to write stuff when im wasted, then i read it in the morning and just laugh my arse off! hahah i tried to write the intro to an essay when i was drunk once.
Learn how to rhyme in different ways.

Internal rhyme, half-rhyme, assonance and alliteration can all be accounted for here.

Rhyme schemes, rhyme patterns, just play around with everything.

But if the rhyming starts to take your piece away from it's intended meaning, or creates an awfully out-of-place image, forget it. You can break a regular rhyme scheme in the middle of a song - shows you have balls to write what you want to write.
yes, lyrics have to rhyme otherwise john fitzgerald kennedy will return from the dead and pour boiling hot gasoline over your toes and then set you alight with a christmas tree and fourteen pieces of tasty glistening chicken.
Quote by Jammydude44
Learn how to rhyme in different ways.

Internal rhyme, half-rhyme, assonance and alliteration can all be accounted for here.

Rhyme schemes, rhyme patterns, just play around with everything.

But if the rhyming starts to take your piece away from it's intended meaning, or creates an awfully out-of-place image, forget it. You can break a regular rhyme scheme in the middle of a song - shows you have balls to write what you want to write.

^agreed. if you set a strict rhyme scheme in the beginning of your song, you can deviate from it slightly later on and no one will even notice.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
jammydude44 best reply.

don't think that rhymes always occur at the end of lines, and don't forget about other writing tools alliteration metaphors similes combine all of them and you have a memorable piece.

also... the more you write the more rhymes just seem to come naturally, as in you don't realize your rhyming but when re-read you are.
Quote by polargimp
write a story, then split it into chapters, then sort out teh lyrics over some awesome gutiar, bass, vocal and drum work.

it works for opeth?

Good advice.

Also,

if you're writing lyrics without thinking about the music, your words will just sound like words, and they won't flow with any music you write afterwards. Try writing everything simultaneously.

Forget rhyme, it's not important in songs.
Quote by Armagedn
I listen to a lot of other bands, and their lyrics don't rhyme, but they sound awesome. I have trouble writing lyrics that don't rhyme, and this is a problem for me. My rhymes always sound forced, like I just forced a word in there so it would rhyme. How would I avoid this?

i have the same problem

i have sorta stuck to just writing musc to songs instead of full songs.

thanks to everyone here... you helped me
read some free verse poetry, Dickenson, Whitman, and anyone in between, study the way they use language and then copy it.

But, for a short answer, yes, lyrics have to rhyme.
if you're writing lyrics without thinking about the music, your words will just sound like words, and they won't flow with any music you write afterwards. Try writing everything simultaneously.

+1
thats what always works for me
That's some handsome meat.
Quote by samoo

Forget rhyme, it's not important in songs.

+0

I disagree with just about everything you said. Rhyme is very very important in the lyrics I write. Here's the beginning of a song I'm working on...

"I once knew a girl who had so badly wanted love from someone else
That she had gone and sadly forgotten how to love herself"

I don't like to write with any music in mind, I write words and music seperately. When I come up with some music that I like, I'll shuffle through my lyric collection to find something that fits... then I'll tweak things a bit to make the words/music work together.

Just goes to show everyone has a different way of doing things.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Check out What's He Building In There for ideas. They sing a story over music, but there's a lot of rhythm to their lyrics, with internal rhyming, alliteration and so on... If you're into metal, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity are two bands whose lyrics almost never rhyme, but have complex rhythms on their own... In the end, it's all about what you learn from.
look up circe survive stuff.

good example of hardely rhyming
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Afterwards I said to her "Why did you blitz my asshole like that?"

No, lyrics don't neccesarily have to rhyme. But it sounds best if they do a little. Never write a song where pretty much every other line rhymes with each other (unless your really good). That way you'll turn out with a crappy rap or somethin. I have a personal technique for writing lyrics that always seems to work for me. This is what I do...

I go to bed, and set my alarm for a couple hours later.
When my alarm goes off, I get up, and get out my notebook.
Since I am half asleep, I don't really know whats going on, and I don't have any distractions.
I just pick a random line, and just start writing things around that.
Then I go to bed, wake up the next morning, and shape a song out of the stuff I wrote the night before.

This always works for me, but it takes some time. I will do this, and write like a page and a half, and I'll usually get about 1 or 2 good verses from all that. Do it for a few nights, and you'll have yourself a decent song. Then you put your melody to it. Here, I'll give you an example...I'm just making this up on the spot...

My sleepy eyes, I can feel the water in them as I blink
My mind is resting, who knows what will happen
I see you, but I'm not sure if it's real or not
You see me, we fall into each other's arms.

Ok, feel free to use those...haha. I'm sorry those were very crappy lyrics, but that is because I have some distractions around me right now, and I wrote them in about 3 minutes. But you get the idea...try it. If you want more advice, or any questions, feel free to PM me.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

A good friend will help you up when you fall.
A best friend will just laugh and trip you again.
Quote by Armagedn
don't do it.
look for different ways of saying things and sometimes rhymes will happen naturally.

Quote by Armagedn
Do lyrics have to rhyme?
no.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
With lyrics, I would say that the rhyming is third on the list of important things. The two most important things are interchangeable: the melody of the vocal line, and the words themselves. Blind Melon is a good example of powerful lyrics, catchy melodies, and minimal rhyming. Also, you could really space the rhyming out. Say, have lines 4 and 8 rhyme? So that only the last line of the verse ties it together with a rhyme. Just a suggestion.
Quote by Jdmaurer16
This is what I do...

I go to bed, and set my alarm for a couple hours later.
When my alarm goes off, I get up, and get out my notebook.
Since I am half asleep, I don't really know whats going on, and I don't have any distractions.
I just pick a random line, and just start writing things around that.
Then I go to bed, wake up the next morning, and shape a song out of the stuff I wrote the night before.

This always works for me, but it takes some time. I will do this, and write like a page and a half, and I'll usually get about 1 or 2 good verses from all that. Do it for a few nights, and you'll have yourself a decent song. Then you put your melody to it.

Why don't you just get stoned, instead? Almost identical effect...