basically i play metalcore music so im in drop c all the time on my schecter
and i dont want to necessarily want to be catagorized as a metalcore guitarist because i want to play what i feel and sounds good to me so i dont want to be an unoriginal hardcore guitarists i just gave this as a view of what im trying to get down

anyways since i havent learned phrygian scales yet i figure i might as well learn it in drop c the 1st time the thing is tho how do the fingering for certain keys change

i copied it down with the letter of the note in stead of tabs and i was converting E Phrygian to another neck diagram by note letters

is there an easier way to learn this
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
first scale i learned was minor pentatonic and major pentatonic

but i wasnt copying really a box shape it was a full neck diagram with the notes

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=E&scchnam=Phrygian&get2=Get
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
oh, well........i'll let someone else take this one, because im still not that great at explaining modes (im still trying to figure how they work myself). i would suggest, however, learning the major scale, and using it and studying it, a LOT
just buy another guitar thats always in standard, it's much easier trust me, i had teh same issue, i didn't wanna just play metal stuff, i wanted to be able to basically do anything if i wanted, so i literally took my ibanez outta my closet, salpped a nice new Dimebucker in it, and now i have a fancy pants GIO that i use for my lessons and scales and anything that i wanna mess around with really
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
yeah i have my old ibanez gio in standard

im just trying to figure out the keys in drop c
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
bump

i searched around couldnt find anything
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
don't learn a mode as your first scale, especially as a box shape

Phyrgian isn't a mode. At least I think he was talking about Phyrgian Dominant. As for box shapes, that's what people use because they're the easiest. It's breaking down the fretboard into manigable chunks. Once you can see a couple of scales across the neck, you don't need boxes as much and it's easier to see things as intervals. You have to start somewhere, though.

meh, as for the Drop C thing. I'd avoid it if I could. However, complexity wise it's about as complicated as dealing with the B string. It's not really a make or break thing, and if you ever use an alternate tuning you're going to **** your patterns up right away anyway.
Last edited by capiCrimm at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by capiCrimm
Phyrgian isn't a mode.

Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by capiCrimm
Phyrgian isn't a mode.

phrygian is most definitely the 3rd mode of the major scale

phrygian is most definitely the 3rd mode of the major scale

Yes it is, it's the 3rd mode of the major scale, based off the 3rd degree.

bit of hyperbole there. I wasn't saying Phrygian wasn't a mode, but that the Phrygian the OP was referring to was to wasn't a mode(of the major scale). Explained in my next sentence that it appeared to me he was referring to the phrygian dominant. Itself being a mode of the Harmonic Minor, but normally given the distinction of being a scale on its own. I had actually explained it more before I edited my post, but then I realized the OP wasn't asking how to learn scales, but about drop C.
dont drop tune
not only his it lame but standard is a thousand times more hard core because it doenst sound like generic crap when u chug
I'm really confused as to how people end up with goals like this in mind. Do you know normal major and minor scales in standard yet?

If not (it doesnt seem like it), then how do you think asking about modes in drop C will help?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...