Page 1 of 2
my band is recording a demo and they want me( the drummer) to use a metronome while playing but every time i do a fill i always mess up the time. does anyone have advice about learning to play with metronomes??
or you can just discuss how gay metronomes are
Quote by Ross724
whats harder than nailing a dead baby to a tree

nailing a live baby to a dog
Metronomes leik totaaly leik other metronomes.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
You're a drummer.

And I honestly think metronomes help my rhythm, after all, that's what they're for.
Do you have trouble keeping time? Or do they just think its absolutely necessary for all drummers to use a metronome?
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by freedoms_stain
learn to do your fills in time.

+1
That's what the drummer is for, keeping time. =D
um you're a drummer and you can't keep time? I suggest your band finds a new drummer
Start slowly, and gradually increase the tempo once you can play it perfectly at, say, 60bpm. I wouldn't say that it's essential to strictly keep to a metronome, unless you have to keep in time with a sample or backing track. I would doubt that anyone could tell the difference between 120bpm and 125bpm without comparing them side-by-side.

But if it's a matter of keeping the beat regular and just practicing even drumming, then start slowly.
OK, I'm not a drummer, but I can relate my guitar and bass playing to this.

Say you're drumming to a normal 4/4 time signature. You are doing triplet fills with 8th notes. With each beat of the metronome, you need to hit three beats. And then you can apply this to other fill rhythms - know how many beats have to be within each beat of the metronome.
Quote by C O B H C
You're a drummer.

And I honestly think metronomes help my rhythm, after all, that's what they're for.

if it weren't for drummers like me you stupid guitar players who are a dime a dozen would have nothing to play to, unless your a gay little solo acoustic bitch
Quote by Ross724

if you cant do fills in time, you probably shouldnt be drumming in a band. or if you sound fine playing live, bring up the option of recording live? not with just a mic in the middle of the room, but seperate your amps, mic them, mic the drums, and record each instrument into its own track on the computer, so you can then edit them if you need (like regular track recording)
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
I'm a drummer and this happens to me too. You have to focus all of your attention on the metronome or else you get like half a beat off, and when you look back at the metronome, you realize your half a beat off (heh, beat off), and you struggle to fix it. Meanwhile, to the rest of the band, you sound like you just skipped half a beat.

They're gay.
Haha, you guys are just like-You're a drummer. Wtf.

I suggest that if you're having trouble keeping count during your fills, write out the counts and practice them slowly until it's natural. Or else you'll make a really bad habit of being an off-beat drummer. Which totally suck and is completely useless.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Put it this way, if every time you do a fill you knock the song out of time, what's it like for your other band mates when you do that? they're suddenly a few beats ahead/behind you and things sound like ass while you get it all back together.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
Do you have trouble keeping time? Or do they just think its absolutely necessary for all drummers to use a metronome?

i can keep time fine with my hi-hats , its just that our songs have time changes and tempo increases and breaks and stuff and its frustrating
Quote by Ross724

can you even hear the metronome? drums are pretty loud. I've never heard of drummers using a metronome.
Quote by HeavyDelta
can you even hear the metronome? drums are pretty loud. I've never heard of drummers using a metronome.

click track + headphones???

pretty common i think.
Quote by HeavyDelta

yeah dude, its called muffled headphones
Quote by Ross724

Quote by cire sirrah
if it weren't for drummers like me you stupid guitar players who are a dime a dozen would have nothing to play to, unless your a gay little solo acoustic bitch

dude....you're posting on UG, there's nothing but guitar players here.

secondly there's nothing wrong with solo acoustic guitar, check out Tommy Emanuel

thirdly, stop being a bitch, people are trying to help you here

just re-write your fills so they fit in the tempo of the metronome. or you can not learn how to play correctly and be stuck playing out of time.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
dude....you're posting on UG, there's nothing but guitar players here.

secondly there's nothing wrong with solo acoustic guitar, check out Tommy Emanuel

thirdly, stop being a bitch, people are trying to help you here

just re-write your fills so they fit in the tempo of the metronome. or you can not learn how to play correctly and be stuck playing out of time.

ok im sorry to UG.

the jokes just get to my head ya know

p.s. i still think solo acoustic is gay
Quote by Ross724

maybe i should invent a time signature called off beat
Quote by Ross724

Quote by cire sirrah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyY4LNkxOW0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw15zgMMq9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU

SHUT UP.

And for your drumming problems, just practice at slower rates, and if you do have fills in different tempos/time signatures, practice them separately from the rest of the song in the time and tempo. (If you need to practice with a metronome for the fills.)
You'll get better.

Last edited by that_1_dude24 at Feb 21, 2008,
Actually, any good guitarist can play his songs on time without the drummer.
Which means the drums aren't absolutely necessary, so no, guitarists don't NEED you;
Especially if you're off time. =]

So don't act like the world would collapse without you.
Honestly everyone in your band should practice to a metronome in private to the beats of the songs. And if you really like playing drums and think its something you want to keep at, then please practice with a metronome. Good drummers can be hard to find.
epic7734
I should start using a metronome more, but the noise drives me insane
If you think metronomes are bitches, chances are that you don't have a good sense of rhythm and get off beat constantly. Simply put, as a drummer, you would be worthless.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by cire sirrah

Actually, drummers like you (Can't use a ╒ucking metronome) are what make bands sound like complete shi†. A good bassist can easily make up for a drummer, depending on the music.
An out of time drummer is one of the worst things that can happen to a band. You really should learn to play with a metronome, no matter how "gay" they are.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
There should be some kind of electric type pokemon that resembles a Gnome, and it should should play guitar and stuff, and it should be called Electro-Gnome.

....That's about all I have to contribute to this thread. Bye, guys.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by cire sirrah

Yup, you're a drummer alright.

I like using my metronome for my timing work, all musicians should own/use one.

Oh, and my Unlce/old guitar teacher calls metronomes "the nagging wife"
Quote by cire sirrah

Someone is mad because he got stuck playing an unimportant instrument.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Dude, he's not a bassist! lrn2read
Quote by Jack Off Jill

But seriously, practice! Start slow, and once you got it at one speed, increase said speed until you've got it up to speed.

Haha, I should take my own advice

And acoustic is not "gay", my God, that statement shows your maturity.
Quote by technicolour

But seriously, practice! Start slow, and once you got it at one speed, increase said speed until you've got it up to speed.

Haha, I should take my own advice

And acoustic is not "gay", my God, that statement shows your maturity.

For real, if there is actually an instrument that makes you gay, it's the piano:
Quote by vintage x metal

More like the Triangle.

"Hey guys, I'm so funny and cool, I play the triangle (but not really)" please, that was only funny when Ralph did it, or was it Martin?
Page 1 of 2