I am looking for a new amp. I am looking for an amp which is verstile, i play in a melodic death/ progressive metal band which is influenced by bands like dark tranquility, BTBAM, COB, In Flames and Dream Theater so i will need a good amount of gain and decent cleans for that, i am also in a cover band that will be playing older stuff such as ACDC, Aerosmith and Spinal Tap. I also play some blues, jazz and classical. I have no price limitations whatsoever as long as it will come in below $5000ish Canadian. For my gear right now i am using an ibanez rg520qs qith a dim ssuper 3 in the bridge but ill be upgrading eventually to either a PRS, EBMM or Gibson. I live in whitby, Ontario so i only have limited brands like Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, Randall, Fender, Crate, Orange and Traynor. Tube amp is preffered. What does UG suggest and would be some pros cons of amps im looking in to.

Mesa Roadking
Mesa Roadster
Randall rm series
Peavey JSX

Thanks in advance
awww thats really hard, if you can buy multiple amps, i would suggest a jcm and a engl, i know for a fact that we get alot of engls in canada, im in alberta which is farther away from the place that ships all that stuff, i think the company that takes care of all that stuff in montreal or something. but ya i would suggest getting a engl fireball and a jcm.
With that amount of loot, you could try to amps, but my vote goes to The Road king, with the JSX comming in second
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Order a Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MkII on Musicians Friend.

6 Channels of pure bliss!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Bogner Uberschall?
^+1
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I think the most versatile amp I have ever played (and I have played alot of them) is the Peavey Valveking. There is no other amp I know of that is affordable, already has massive versatility and with a few moderate upgrades can touch all genres acceptably well. I suggest trying one as you try out amps. If you want one amp, this is the one to have.
Im probably going in for test either this week or next. I know one of my local music stores has 2 roadkings in stock, there probably what im thinking about most, my friend has the 212 combo and it is definately a solid amp. Another shop by my house has a JSX in so i'll probably check it out soon
Quote by uldhppi
I think the most versatile amp I have ever played (and I have played alot of them) is the Peavey Valveking. There is no other amp I know of that is affordable, already has massive versatility and with a few moderate upgrades can touch all genres acceptably well. I suggest trying one as you try out amps. If you want one amp, this is the one to have.

that too, and no one commented on my idea, this guy isnt narrowing it down to those amps hes just saying what hes found. the jsx would be not the best for metal, from what ive heard and played i would seriously go with what i suggested.
Actually, I just realised you're in Canada too. Which means you can probably get to a Long and McQuade.

Go, order a Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme!
Best amp I have ever played, and the volume was only on 2!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Versatile? Laney VH100R, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, Mesa/Boogie Road King, Marshall JVM, Marshall TSL, Hughes and Kettner Switchblade, Hughes and Kettner TriAmp, Engl Powerball, Engl Invader, Fender Super-Sonic, Orange Rockerverb 50, Peavey JSX, Splawn Nitro, Bogner Ecstasy, Randall V2... The list could go on and on...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Roadking. BTBAM has used rectifiers, DT has used roadkings, and they could definately cover COB and in flames. Easily cover the other stuff too. Make sure you stick it on top of a good cab. At that price range you might wanna get multiple amps used.
Unfortunetly there is nowhere that i can try Bogners or ENGL's locally, i could always take a roadtrip to where i could because i usually prefere to try before buying especially with something this expensive.
ENGL invader.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
yepers an engl invader or powerball, agian like i said, they are sold in canada and the supplier for canada that ships engls is located somewhere in quebec. do you have any chain guitar shops in your area.
Quote by EscapingAnxiety
I have heard good things about Mark IV's how would they compare to a Road King or JSX?

Both amps are really versatile, the Road King is going to seem a little more versatile at first because the Mark is a really big tweaker amp and it's a little tricky to get your sound .But the Mark IV has little things that the Road King can't replicate. The Mark is a snarly, aggressive beast whereas the Road King is a bit more fluid sounding. The Mark IV can replicate Road King tones to an extent too. At the end of the day though, it's apples and oranges.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Im probably going in to test this weekend, from what i have heard i will probably be trying a road king and im going to check if there are any Mark IV's or ENGL's available nearby
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm going to go with a Mesa Mark IV. It can do teh br00talz and the classic rock stuff, fo sho.

That was my thought. Or a Carvin V3, which you can get new for less.
If you want to go ENGL, Cosmo's in Richmond Hill is the only distributor in Ontario.. thats where I got my screamer
Last edited by zack_gb at Feb 21, 2008,
Where are the Orange lovers here???? Have you watched any of the youtube vids or even played them. Go for a Rocker or Rockerverb. Very nice cleans, nice crunchy classic rone and roll the gain up for that heavy ****.
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer