What are your guys settings for sweeping?

Thanks, Will

Oh and please talk in terms of bass treb and mid please!

Thanks again!
Quote by thrilla13w
What are your guys settings for sweeping?

Thanks, Will

Oh and please talk in terms of bass treb and mid please!

Thanks again!

It's not about the settings.

It's about what makes the gain really smooth so you can sweep without it sounding spikey and chunky.

I do recommend using the neck pickup though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
lots of gain and neck pickup. The rest is all about what you prefer.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
My friend once told me that if you need to use the neck pick-up, then you're not playing clean enough.
He's absolutely insane at playing though.
One of those guys who can listen to a solo and play it straight off.
Quote by thrilla13w
how do i do that?

You use the neck pickup and roll back the tone knob. Pretty self-explanatory.

I myself use the neck pickup with the tone on 9 or 10.

Quote by -Collapse-
My friend once told me that if you need to use the neck pick-up, then you're not playing clean enough.

Your friend is an idiot.

When playing fast, it's generally recommended that you use a smoother tone too accentuate every note.
Dickless.
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's not about the settings.

It's about what makes the gain really smooth so you can sweep without it sounding spikey and chunky.

I do recommend using the neck pickup though.

Are you saying you rely on gain for sweeping? You should be able to do it just as good on clean as you would with overdrive and distortion.

It's not about pickups or gain. it's about technique. I prefer to sweep on the back pickup unless im clean then I use a mixture of both pickups with the front slightly turned down.

Learn to play well, then change your tone when you can actually do it.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
The ultimate settings thread!

I just use the neck pickup. Tone up at full.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Mattalac
Are you saying you rely on gain for sweeping? You should be able to do it just as good on clean as you would with overdrive and distortion.

Yeah, that guy I mentioned told me to learn everything on clean settings until I could play it flawlessly. Until then I don't deserve to play it distorted. >.<

EDIT:
Yeah, all the advice I've heard so far is "How to cover how crap you are."
That's not a very positive message for budding lead guitarists.
you should be able to do it clean and distorted i prefer the neck pickup cause its smoother..i can do it with the bridge pickup but i dont like the highs to be super accentuated..i like everything nice and smooth..
if you have a good ear you should be able to tell whether or not you are hitting all of notes on a sweep nice a clean....no matter what effects/settings you use.

The neck pickup, to some, sounds a bit muddier (IMO it sounds better but thats me)...so they say that you should practice them on the bridge pickup because you get the more aggressive and evident notes.

For me...I can hear my ****ups (if I make one) on either pickup and on all settings...so basically it doesntmatter much.

just make sure to practice your sweeps slow before you try to speed it up. You should be able to tell when you start to get sloppy.

-nv
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
i think its better to play with gain because if you mess up it is easier to distinguish(it makes a screeching noise) than if it was clean
Mattalac

Just because someone says it sounds better with distortion or the neck pickup doesn't mean that they are relying on it to play the part. Seriously, some people could play it on an acoustic guitar and it would sound good, but would prefer to play it with the neck pickup and high gain because to them it sounds better. Stop trying to judge how good people are without having any idea about their playing, and only knowing a fraction of what they like their tone to be like. Also, sure for practice, back off the gain so you can hear things clearer, but when you are performing you don't have to.
Quote by Mattalac

It's not about pickups or gain. it's about technique. I prefer to sweep on the back pickup unless im clean then I use a mixture of both pickups with the front slightly turned down.

Learn to play well, then change your tone when you can actually do it.

Playing on the clean channel is dumber than playing with too much drive.

The clean channel adds 0 harmonics and no definition to the strings tone. Playing clean doesn't accent any mistakes, nor will it help you play better. Playing with a low drive adds a ton of harmonics to the strings, kills your sustain, and makes all the mistakes stand out the most. Playing with extreme gain will show you how good or bad your muting is. On clean you won't notice any mistakes in your muting if you're decent at sweeping, with the gain cranked, you'll hear strings ringing out like crazy if you didn't mute it well.

And as Theshred said, my statement is not based on my actual playing, it's just the tone I prefer.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Treble bass and mid vary by preference, amp, pick ups, room size, etc. They have no bearing on your ability to play. You could practice on an acoustic and get better faster than practicing on an electric. IMO
Quote by gregs1020
Treble bass and mid vary by preference, amp, pick ups, room size, etc. They have no bearing on your ability to play. You could practice on an acoustic and get better faster than practicing on an electric. IMO

I don't really find this true. It is better for people who are still in their earlier stages of playing guitar where their fingers aren't very accurate, nor able to play for a while. To "shred" I find it best to play the guitar you intend on using the most (lets say some sort of Ibanez or somethign with the strings laying on the frets, the shred monster guitar) so you can focus on using just enough strength to fret, to keep your left hand from flailing away at the strings, but instead making a much more focused effort on fretting. Excessive strength used for fretting, and excessive distances your fingers travel on pulloffs are wasted time and effort which affects your overall speed.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Respectfully MESAexplorer you disagree with the acoustic for practice part? I find that when I practice on my acoustic and then go to the electric I am much cleaner and faster on the electric. Maybe it is finger strength or simply due to the difference in string gage. My acoustic and electrics have roughly the same sized necks so I can only guess string gage has helped me build finger strength and accuracy. (Along with practice). Thanks for your opinion, I understand where you are coming from and see what you mean.
Quote by gregs1020
Respectfully MESAexplorer you disagree with the acoustic for practice part? I find that when I practice on my acoustic and then go to the electric I am much cleaner and faster on the electric. Maybe it is finger strength or simply due to the difference in string gage. My acoustic and electrics have roughly the same sized necks so I can only guess string gage has helped me build finger strength and accuracy. (Along with practice). Thanks for your opinion, I understand where you are coming from and see what you mean.

I can definately see how it could help some people, it is sometimes said that practicing acoustic to play an electric is like running 2 miles to prepare for a 1 mile race.

Personally, I find that if electric is the only thing you really play, it is best to practice on the electric. You become more precise with a specific feel to something. Me playing an acoustic on a rare occasion does work out my fingers, but as far as accuracy goes, practice is the best solution for any problems.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by -Collapse-

Lol your friend is wrong. Playing on the neck pickup is generally more of a distinguished sound than the bridge pickup. More sensitive to mistakes if you will.
Quote by GuitarEvan07
Lol your friend is wrong. Playing on the neck pickup is generally more of a distinguished sound than the bridge pickup. More sensitive to mistakes if you will.

I've always found the neck to be smoother, and a little easier to play on. I hear way many more mistakes on the bridge pickups, they have quite a bit more bite and treble.

You gotta have the technique down either way though.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Thanks MESAexplorer, the post title stated shred, but the question was about sweeping. I interpret those to be two distinctly different things. In an average week I play both types of guitars about equally. We have acoustics at work and I have both at home. (And an XBOX360 at work). Yea, I have the job from heaven and intend on milking that for all it is worth... Agreed - Practice is what does it.
Quote by GuitarEvan07

Erm, I disagree, the bridge is the sharp, cutting pickup, while the neck is rather bassy and all the notes blend together. The bridge is called the lead pickup for a reason.

Also, I find the neck loses most of your hard worked for tone, and no, don't just crap on my BCR pickups; even playing a $1000 kirk hammet sig with EMG 81/85, the neck pickup just didn't do tone any justice.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478
i think its better to play with gain because if you mess up it is easier to distinguish(it makes a screeching noise) than if it was clean

nahhh distortion hides nearly all the mistakes... you hear people shred for example as soon as they go clean, the notes are dead and most of its being fluffed.
Sweeping always sounds alot smoother to me on the neck pickup, and i think its always important to practise what your playing on a clean sound.
POST FINDER
I hear my sweeping mistakes much better on the bridge pickup.BTW,how much gain you use when sweeping?
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Megallica Dude
I hear my sweeping mistakes much better on the bridge pickup.BTW,how much gain you use when sweeping?

I set my gain around 6 or 7.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I set my gain around 6 or 7.

I don't dare doing it with my amp.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X