I was after any advice on how to teach my left handed 6 year old son how to play guitar. We got him one recently for his birthday and although i know the basics any tips would be great. We can't afford lessons at this stage. All he wants to learn is how to play a guns n' roses song!!
he's 6? i'd just concentrate on getting his co-ordination up. remember he's still got LOADS of development to go so this is like a purely clean slate!!! no bad habits to fall on.

man one day i hope to teach my kids guitar. i'm picturing a house of shredders, drummers n singers!!

my future wife better be cool with that.....
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Teach him to play right handed. Apparently it isn't hard if he starts with it like that. Teach him some catchy stuff, but don't be pushy. He might learn to despise the instrument if you force him.
Thanks guys! He hassled us for almost a year before we gave in and got him the guitar, but at the music shop he was very keen on learning the bass...I told him when he was older!. He is definately left handed he refuses to pick up the guitar right handed...we now have it strung left handed. if i sit opposite him the finger placement for chords should be like looking in the mirror...am i right? this is what i'm concerned about the most
Teach a few chords he can play with and have him do a scale excersise for 5 minutes as a warm up each time he plays.
I would just teach him some stuff that sounds like guns n roses, like some rock, or blues riffs, that are pretty easy to play, and just keep going from there, and like the guy above me said, don't let him develop any bad habits now.
Scales. Chords. Simple melodies.........the simple stuff.

And metalhead_365.....i like your sig. lol.
(\__|)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain World Domination.

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
My advice... do both of you a favour and wait another couple of years. The muscles and bone structures in the hand are typically not developed enough for guitar playing until you're at least 8. When I used to teach privately, I would refuse any student who was under that age.

I have three kids. My oldest is eight. I want to get her a guitar this summer. She wants to learn. In the meantime, following my own advice to not start until later, I've been teaching her some piano. She can now read music - treble and bass clef - knows the difference between major and minor chords (and in a lot of cases, knows which notes make up which chords), can coordinate different things with the left and right hands, can play stuff by ear, and has good dexterity in her fingers.

She has an awesome foundation on which to build. She'll be shredding by 10.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks.. He is learning recorder at school, he didnt want to but i told him it will teach him how to read music which he can use on his guitar. So now he comes home from school straight to the guitar and shows me what he learnt. I want to teach him slowly but he is so keen...he just strums away to his cd's and his rythym is pretty good! i haven't taught him any chords yet.. i dont want to teach him bad habits so i'm grateful for everyones advice.
If he's happy with that, then go for it. My concern is that strumming open chords in time to his favourite songs won't last long and he'll want to learn to play notes and chords. Because he won't be ready for it, it will only cause frustration, and then you'll have lost him. "I tried to play guitar, but it was too hard."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
when he gets 11 lol just kidding try to teach him for now CARTOON themes music
FANTASY , EVERYBODY HAS ONE