I've been looking for an EQ setting that I like so I can start to define my sound but since I've heard how badly it works live, I ruled out my prefer scooped mids. I felt like playing on clean tonight so I started tweaking and found a setting that I like (Bass: 10 Mid: 6 Treble: 7) so I thought I would try to find a nice distortion setting. (Using a Digitech Death Metal and I'm on the lookout for a replacement that can supply enough gain Metal.) So far I've found that I still like to have some sort of scooping with my mids....My pedal settings are Bass: 10 Mid: 4 Treble: 10....I'll probably like my sound more once I can turn the level up which usually gives it a fuller sound.....

So, could these settings cut through in a small gig? I probably won't get a show for some time but I want to make sure I get a good sound and a sound that I like when it comes around...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ysually it's best to roll your mids up a little bit. Because when it comes to shows, you need to cut through more than have the exact perfect tone.
But for recording it's anyone's game.

Also, the type of distortion, and the EQ can vastly change how EQ settings change the sound. For example, my Powerblock kicks up the highs more on the same number as my pedal, so it can be hard to ask people to judge your EQ unless they have the same amp/effects.
Personally, knock the treble down to at least eight and, depending on your other gear, you might pull bass back and kick up the mids just a tiny bit. But then again I'm one of those freaks who absolutely adore mids and couldn't live without them. If I could have sex with them, I think I would.
You might need more mids to cut through.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Yeah, I used to always have my settings scooped. And then one day I cranked the mids a little bit and **** myself.
I've played with my mids up high and didn't care for it too much but I'm still tweaking my settings to where I can raise the mids and still like the tone....Preferably I would rather not change my EQ for recording and live but I doubt that will be attainable....

Hopefully I can save up for a halfstack in a year or two and I'll get my preferred tone then since I'll probably use that at gigs....Thanks for the opinions though, I'll give more mids a try...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'd never play with the bass that high, it makes your sound muddy and distant...on most amps I never go much above halfway on the bass, on my Ashdown it never goes above 2!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'd never play with the bass that high, it makes your sound muddy and distant...on most amps I never go much above halfway on the bass, on my Ashdown it never goes above 2!

My guitar tone always sounds really weak if I don't put the bass up...but then again my mids are very low and I'll eventually have a bassist (If I'm not recruited for the job) so I guess every thing would fill out.....I'll mess around with the bass as well, thanks for that suggestion....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah, a lot of metal guitarists think they need more bass to sound like the recordings of their favorite bands, but while they do use a little more bass, most forget the bass player is in there too. >.<
Once I get in a band I want to make it a priority that the bassist is heard because I play bass as well as guitar and it really helps you get a fuller sound......I could use a microphone so I could record my guitar then layer it with bass so I could find a good bass level for my guitar...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls