I have been looking into getting a Gibson Les Paul, and I have only wanted a Standard. I now see that the faded is almost identical to the Standard, the only difference is the finish. I cancelled out all of the similarities, and came out with these differences that were listed:

Gibson Les Paul Standard

Inlay: Pearl trapezoid

Nut Width: 1-11/16 in.

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

Neck Joint Location: 16th fret

Nut Width: 1.695 in.

Inlays: Trapezoid

So are the faded inlays not pearl? Is the nut width that much different? And is the Neck Joint Location different?

Besides the finish, what else is difference? Even the pick-ups are the same, but there is a $600 difference...
High as tits
they just made a little bit differnt and lowered the price again so you would buy the one thats more thinking it's better.(personal i dont like the les paul faded)
The Faded doesnt have the Maple Top

so you wont really get that signature les paul sound, it will sound more like an sg
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
does the les paul faded have body binding? i thought it didnt, and that was also a difference
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
The only real difference affecting sound would be the non maple top

Without it, as i said before, it wouldnt have the trademark brightness of a les paul
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
The STANDARD faded most definitely has a maple top. The differences between the faded and the regular are the very thin layer of lacquer, and the "burst jobs" aren't as pronounced. Oh, and about $600 less.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
We have a pyramid with an all seeing eye, and a menacing eagle with arrows in it's talons.
You have a duck.

PRS Custom 24
Peavey Windsor + 2x12
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
Quote by Justin_43130
does the les paul faded have body binding? i thought it didnt, and that was also a difference

The Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded has body and neck binding.

I am talking about the STANDARD Faded, not the Faded.

Thank you Ghepetto, I think you're the only one who has realized that so far.

So it's only the finish?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-50s-Neck?sku=517523
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-50s-Neck-Electric-Guitar?sku=517186

Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s Neck Electric Guitar Features:

* Mahogany body and fat '50s neck
* Carved Maple top
* Rosewood fretboard
* Alnico V Standard humbucker pickups
* Green keystone tuners
* Top and fretboard binding

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded '50s Neck Features:

* Bound AA maple top
* Mahogany back
* Fixed mahogany neck with round '50s profile
* Bound rosewood fretboard
* Pearl trapezoid inlays
* 1-11/16" nut width
* BurstBucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets
* 2 volume knobs
* 2 tone knobs
* 3-way switch
High as tits
Last edited by Suicidal_Brick at Feb 22, 2008,
There are more differences than that too.

- The body and neck wood is lower grade, and isn't solid slab construction; it's essentually offcuts.
- The fretboard is also made with lower grade wood
- The wiring and pots are cheaper, simple as that.
- The hardware is a cheaper, lower quality cast.
- The metals used (both in the hardware and also frets) is a cheaper, softer alloy.

The same also goes for Studio models and Vintage Mahogany models. I hear it's the same with the SG Specials too, but I've never owned one of those myself so I couldn't say for sure.

You're paying half the price, and you're getting half the quality. There's a reason why those guitars are so cheap.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you were talking about the regular Faded.

Though as it so happens - the Standard Faded was discontinued quite a while ago. Any guitars shops that are still selling Standard Faded LPs (no surprise it's only the big online chains with large warehouses of stock...) are going to be selling you fairly old stock. This shouldn't be a problem, just bear in mind that the guitar will have been sat in some warehouse somewhere for potentially a couple of years, which could cause some flaws to crop up, which wouldn't necessarily be apparent right from the get-go. By all means I'd say a Standard Faded is a fine guitar, just be aware that you wouldn't be buying something that was completely brand spanking new straight out of the factory.
Last edited by bokuho at Feb 22, 2008,
So they are basically the same besides the finish, it isn't as nice, and they are older? As in they are no longer made at all?

So basically when they are gone, they're gone?
High as tits
I have a LP Standard Faded. It has the slimmer 60's neck and the zebra p'ups. I looked and most folks said it's basically the same guitar as the standard. I saw on one site where the guy took his apart, sanded it and refinished it with clear and it looked just like a regular standard. I like the sound and feel of mine. I have a LP custom and I like the Standard Faded better.
See my thread entitled "The Les Paul Studio Wood Debate" for information about the woods used in the Studios.