I've been playing guitar dor quite a while (over 2 years), and I am getting pretty happy with my improvement in speed. I am getting pretty fast in lead stuff, but I think I've noticed a problem.

When I play power chords and bar chords, I place my thumb on the back center of the back of the neck. I keep my palm far away, and play it the correct way. When I play leads, however, I bring my thumb up some and bring my palm closer, sometimes even to the point of cupping the neck and my thumb hanging over.

My hand position for leads works, and I get very fast with it, but it is hard to change from a power/barre chord position to my lead position in a split second. I looked up other players, and have noticed their hands in the position with the thumb back center in leads.

I have been trying to convert, but it isn't going very well. What should I do? should I go back through all that hard work to learn the other way? Or should I keep at my way until hopefully someday I can pull it off very well?

Please help me. Thanks!
It comes down to what's comfortable for you.

There are tons of players who play like you, the only problem with that way is that excessive playing in that position is more likely to hurt you then if your thumb was on the center of the neck.
whatever feels comfortable. I play the same way you do, and all of the other players i've seen do as well. who were you looking at?
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by cccasey14
I've been playing guitar dor quite a while (over 2 years), and I am getting pretty happy with my improvement in speed. I am getting pretty fast in lead stuff, but I think I've noticed a problem.

When I play power chords and bar chords, I place my thumb on the back center of the back of the neck. I keep my palm far away, and play it the correct way. When I play leads, however, I bring my thumb up some and bring my palm closer, sometimes even to the point of cupping the neck and my thumb hanging over.

My hand position for leads works, and I get very fast with it, but it is hard to change from a power/barre chord position to my lead position in a split second. I looked up other players, and have noticed their hands in the position with the thumb back center in leads.

I have been trying to convert, but it isn't going very well. What should I do? should I go back through all that hard work to learn the other way? Or should I keep at my way until hopefully someday I can pull it off very well?

Please help me. Thanks!

I used to have the same problem, except I cupped my power chords and played my lead correctly!
I just forced myself to play without cupping, it was annoying at first, but you'll be glad you did.
Playing lead cupped usually blocks ample use of the pinky too, so there's another reason to switch, you might get faster. =D
There's nothing wrong with it. It might be because the neck shape you have on your guitar isn't the most practical for your hand, but realistically, it's jsut personal preference on how you do things. Everyone has their own set of things that make them feel comfortable while playing, so you shouldn't base everything you do off of what you see other players do.
I mean, I'm all for people playing their own style and way, I mean, Marty Friedman palm mutes with his forearm, so why shouldn't people choose their own ways?

My only point was that he said he found it hard to switch between the two, which I understand, because I used to have trouble too.
Like someone said above, when I try to hold the guitar like that...my pinky is out of reach. If you can use your pinky on all the strings (Which is pretty important). Dont worry about frets 12-24 since you dont have to use your pinky on those.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Dont worry about frets 12-24 since you dont have to use your pinky on those.

???