I'm looking into getting a peavey b-52. I heard from someone that they sound similar to a mesa rectifier amp is there any validity to this? I'm looking for a godsmack-like tone.
b-52 is a company not a peavey amp.
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
wow that could not be more noobish >_>

but enough of my rude remarks lol. its a B-52 BRAND, not model. they are probably talking about either their AT or ST (stealth) series amps.

supposedly its a poor man's mesa and i have tried both and its okay but no mesa by any means. it doesnt sound anything like one. not that thats a bad thing, just its own flavor.

you can definitely get a godsmack tone out of it (and pretty much anything -_-), just get a decent cab (avatar maybe).
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
^The B-52 Cab is actually pretty good.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
and it would look cool to match lol. but 2x12 or 4x12? are you going to be gigging or just practicing? also, what music other than godsmack do you play.......budget would help maybe choosing something better.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
the b-52 can sound pretty damn good if you know how to set it up and get the right equipment to work with it. and yeah the matching cab sounds really good with it, its made too.
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
mesa all the way
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by rocknskate4
mesa all the way

lol i dont think he can afford that if he is looking into a b-52
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
They have similar qualities to a Recto if EQ'ed right but they are hardly a poor man's Mesa. That's not a bad thing though, they are great amps for the price with a unique tone.
12 fret fury
Quote by giternator
supposedly its a poor man's mesa and i have tried both and its okay but no mesa by any means. it doesnt sound anything like one. not that thats a bad thing, just its own flavor.
(avatar maybe).

i agree.

I have a B-52 LG-100a, and if you dig solids, and are on a budget, id reccomend it fully. Ive gigged it enough, and it works!
Im sorry for some reason I thought they were part of peavey. I was thinking about getting a dual recto head during the spring so I thought I might get everybodies opinions before i check it out. Right now Im using a carvin x-100b
Quote by Dark Aegis
Im sorry for some reason I thought they were part of peavey. I was thinking about getting a dual recto head during the spring so I thought I might get everybodies opinions before i check it out. Right now Im using a carvin x-100b

in my opinion carvin is the holy grail of amps. i dont care what anyone says.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
^^Carvin V3 looks like one of the greatest amps ever
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
What don't you like about the x-100b?

I like the B-52, but the Carvin is just a superior amp in all forms (imo), I'd also much rather have it over a Dual Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I can't get a godsmack tone out of my buddy's triple recto, my roadking, or mark IV. They have a crazy tone, I wouldn't mind being able to replicate it.

As for B-52 vs. Mesa...B-52's feel a bit plainer, less flavored, a bit more flat than Mesa's single rectos, which is probably the most comparable amp. They're both pretty good amps but with the B-52 you're better off saving a few hundred more and finding some used amps (mesa F series, Stiletto, Mark III, or single recto) or with the single recto you're better off looking at the F series, stiletto, Mark III, or some other brands.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Dark Aegis

Don't wanna hijack this thread but how you like it? They are pretty damn cheap on ebay and they seem pretty versatile. What genres is it suited to?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I can't get a godsmack tone out of my buddy's triple recto, my roadking, or mark IV. They have a crazy tone, I wouldn't mind being able to replicate it.

I'm just glad it's not just me. I'm pretty sure Godsmack used Triple Rectos (at least Tony), but I tried out a Triple Rec last year for over an hour & couldn't fully nail their tone. Pretty close, but not all in. I got to crank it somewhat for a couple minutes only, though (it's a f#@king beast!). The Godsmack tone IMO has a bit more tightness or something.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Sirwinston89

+1

Quote by MESAexplorer
As for B-52 vs. Mesa...B-52's feel a bit plainer, less flavored, a bit more flat than Mesa's single rectos, which is probably the most comparable amp.

i dont really agree. i think mesa's do sound better, but not by much.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
It is fallacious to compare B52's to Mesas. My experience is limited to the B52 60 watt 112 combo, of which I have owned two. I have played many Mesas in my lifetime. There is no comparison. All amps have rectifiers, and some have selectable rectifiers, that doesn't make any of them "poor man's Mesas." Check and see what a rectifier is.
B52's do not even sound close to any Mesa. They don't sound bad, but they are not substitutes. This "poor man's Mesa" stuff just confuses buyers into thinking they got a Mesa clone, which is totally false. If you want Mesa buy Mesa. If you can't afford Mesa there are a number of really good lower-priced alternatives.
Quote by Sirwinston89

That was the other amp that Im thinking about getting.

Quote by MatrixClaw
What don't you like about the x-100b?

I like the B-52, but the Carvin is just a superior amp in all forms (imo), I'd also much rather have it over a Dual Recto.

Trust me I love my carvin head, buts 23 years old and Im looking for a little bit of a different sound.
Quote by Dark Aegis
That was the other amp that Im thinking about getting.

Trust me I love my carvin head, buts 23 years old and Im looking for a little bit of a different sound.

Can it not do high gain or something? If you're ever interested in selling after you get something esle I would be interested in taking a look at it.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm