I need help on some things when playing guitar. First- palm muting. What does it mean, and how do I do it? And something I've noticed when playing is that I always leave my pinky finger on my right hand (picking hand) on the guitar, right by the high E string. How can I drop this habit? thanks in advance.
Palm muting is a sound that is used a lot in rock and metal. Its a deep "Chug Chug" Sound.

To do it LIGHTLY put your palm (the pinky side) by the bridge of your guitar. Make sure the fleshly part is on the strings right infront of the bridge and strum. You should get a deeper sound. If it's not making any sound then you're doing something wrong and you may need a video to see what you need to be doing.

And is your pinky actually touching the string or the guitar?
Well about your pinky, im not sure, but I think that its better to keep your pinky uder the strings to kinda hold up your hand. I keep my pink there to kinda give me a better feel of where my pick is.

For palm muting...its where you lay your palm near the edge of the bridge where the strings end. It gives you a muted sound for music like Metal.
Right below? Well... thats odd, is it muting the high e string?

If it's not I guess you could call that anchoring. Some people believe that is bad, some people think it's fine.

I'm just gonna say it's not going to help you. It's going to restrict your picking. To stop from doing that, just focus and make sure fingers aren't touching the body at all. They can do anything they want to when they are not touching the guitar.

If it isn't effecting your playing much and it's comfortable for you then there really isnt a need to stop. You can ask on here about anchoring, a lot of people do it.
Anchoring. I'll look into that a little more, since it's what I've been doing all along. I tried palm muting, and i got a percussive sound out of the strings. I'll find a video lesson, like you suggested, since I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for the help.
Quote by metalchickx78
I need help on some things when playing guitar. First- palm muting. What does it mean, and how do I do it? And something I've noticed when playing is that I always leave my pinky finger on my right hand (picking hand) on the guitar, right by the high E string. How can I drop this habit? thanks in advance.

I think shes talking about anchoring

If you mean that on your strumming hand you balance your hand on the guitar using the pinky , thats perfectly ok. I do that too, because i feel more comfortable that way
Quote by Ze_Metal
Right below? Well... thats odd, is it muting the high e string?

If it's not I guess you could call that anchoring. Some people believe that is bad, some people think it's fine.

I'm just gonna say it's not going to help you. It's going to restrict your picking. To stop from doing that, just focus and make sure fingers aren't touching the body at all. They can do anything they want to when they are not touching the guitar.

If it isn't effecting your playing much and it's comfortable for you then there really isnt a need to stop. You can ask on here about anchoring, a lot of people do it.

Aghh beat me to it
=]

Btw, you're supposed to get a percussive sound. Its a real heavy chug sound. If it sounds the same as when your fretting hand is muting the strings then you're doing it wrong.
May i also point out that if youre NOT on distortion, palm muting will sound really bad.