I'm having a rough time with tapping, or more of a misunderstanding with it.

I've always had trouble with tapping, but I've just been told that my technique is totally wrong. Here's an example: the first line of the tapping part in 'Eruption'.

e| 7p 2h 5p 2 (and so forth)
b|
g|
d|
a|
e|

What I do, is hit the string against the fretboard, and almost pluck it with the end of my finger to hammer it off. My friend told me that the correct way to tap is not to pluck anything, but to just hit your finger against the fretboard, and just remove it. I tried it this way, and it works, but not as cleanly and loud as my way.

What is the correct way to tap?
t7p2h5p2

use picky for 5, station index at 2, use second hand for 7 i guess - good luck!
find Kristofer Dahl's lesson for tapping on the internet. I've seen it as an ad in some tabs. Thats how I learned to tap, and I'm getting quite good at it
Actually the beginning of the tapping section in Eruption starts with this:

9p2h5 (and that is on the B string)

When you tap, you should tap the string, but then pull off the string, not just lift your finger up. If you just lift your finger, the sound will be too weak.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Last edited by Bpags868 at Feb 22, 2008,
You're right, you're supposed to pull/ pluck the string a little when you tap to help it ring.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yeah, you kinda flick your finger down a little as you pull it away to get the note to sound, exactly like a left hand pull off.