So , i came here 2-3 months ago asking how i could switch from drop tuning to standard tuning on a locked guitar, i didnt have one at the time but i had ordered an Ml with a licensed floyd rose(which hasnt got here yet) and i wanted to get ready for it. I was told theres nothing i can do i should either get a second guitar or learn the songs on one tuning and improvise basically. I was torn, how can i let go of my favorite drop tuning songs, but then again i also loved my thrashy standard tuning songs. Anyway, after a day of thinking about it, i forced myself to play all songs on drop tuning. I mean right now when im handed a standard guitar i wouldnt know what to play honestly.

Anyhoo, long story short. I was playing some "difficult" standard tuning songs infront of my friends, obviously on my drop d guitar. They were just shocked at the effort i had to put in to play basic open string riffs. And after asking me why i play like that, i told them i spent the last 3 months learning to play standard songs on drop. They laughed, and said why dont you use the fine tuners, i was like what are you talking about.

One has an ibanez xpt700 and the other one has a BC Rich kkv(the high end one) both with those fine tuner thingies, and they just showed me those screw like things behind the bridge where i can modify the tuning of a string easily, up to one step or something. Is this true or what is going on here, did i waste 3 months of my life making things harder for me?

Thanks.
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
depending on the size of the bolts of the fine tuners. you could always tighten it up in standard and loosen to down tune. i can do it with my ibanez but that has an edge pro and they might have longer fine tuners. hope this makes sense.
Yes that makes alot of sense actually, id also like more input on this from other folks if you dont mind, anyone have any experience with a licensed floyd rose. On another note, would the string gauge matter as well?
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

you could have theoretically used a capo, no?
oh, and theres no harm in playing something in an extra difficult way, just builds character (and skills) :P
Yeah, you probably did, but then again it couldnt really hurt that much. Im not totally sure on the exact range of the fine tuners, but I know you can go at least to drop d from standard.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
exact same with me. im tuned to Eb and i have to learn all songs written in E(tuning, not the key) a fret up. i just throw a capo on for standard, and yes it does get confusing when i go into guitar stores and try out guitars tuned in standard
Swag

Schecter Blackjack C-1/C-7
Ovation Balladeer
Mesa F30
DanL Chorus
Bad Horsie Wah
EB Volume Pedal
Yeah about the drop d tuna, we don't get it here, i live in the middle east btw, the metal and rock scene is pretty tight but in terms of equipment we're not so blessed. We have a few dealers who are running monopolies. So i doubt id find that tuna, and as far as playing things harder goes, well thats true but some things are literally impossible to play.

Edit: And as far as capos go, capos can only change the pitch of the tuning, meaning from
Standard C to D to E to whatever, it cant change from Standard tune to drop tune, and ive looked into some of those weird tuners that fret one string, still doesnt help, theyre just not practical from what i saw, but i guess problem solved eh.
Quote by greendayguitar

Last edited by Marwanbaki at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by NightEmbers
van halen also has a D tuna or something like that to just hold the tension for standard and flip the switch for dropped d, at least thats what I think, but yeah it does exist =/

I don't think you can install one with a floating bridge.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

it's litterally like a lil fine tuner extension piece. you just slap it onto the fine tuner and it gives you the leverage to go up or down a step.

technically you dont need it tho because its just what your friends say.

ethier the time you asked the forum no one who's ever SEEN a FR bridge was on. that or you just got confused.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

They're designed for floating bridges
Quote by mp3stalin

ethier the time you asked the forum no one who's ever SEEN a FR bridge was on. that or you just got confused.

Definately wasnt confused, i remember making 2-3 different posts regarding the same topic but different questions ofcourse,,,3 posts in a weeks time that is, i guess everyone good was on vacation.
Quote by greendayguitar

About the D-Tuna: It sticks out quite a lot, so if someone is planning on pulling up on their bar with that thing installed, be prepared to forefeit your pretty finish behind the cavity.

Oh, and of course, if you use the fine tuners to go to a drop tuning, your bridge will be thrown out of perfect adjustment, but if you just lower one string one step, it's not gonna be a catastrophe, provided the posts and knife edges are good quality. Just remember to set the fine tuner right for it next time you put on new strings.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Dark_Merlin
They're designed for floating bridges

but you have to block the trem don't you
The reason people say you can't change tunings on a floating bridge is because it's a pain in the arse. As soon as you change the tuning of any string, whether you use the headstock tuners, fine tuners or a D-Tuna, you send all the other strings out of tune. That means you have to spend 10 minutes re-tuning the entire guitar. Because of that you normally don't have enough range on the fine tuners to actually get to Drop D, meaning you need to unlock the nut every time.

If you're friends are just using the fine tuner on the 6th string then they're playing out of tune, they might not notice but they are...it's not physically possible to drop the low E to D on an unmodified Floyd-type bridge without all the other strings going out of tune.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
"If you're friends are just using the fine tuner on the 6th string then they're playing out of tune, they might not notice but they are...it's not physically possible to drop the low E to D on an unmodified Floyd-type bridge without all the other strings going out of tune."

Correct.
Have 'em try that trick sometime, then plug it into a tuner, you'll see first-hand.
You can't mess with string tension on FR's without repercussions.
Quote by SuperDuperSlash
exact same with me. im tuned to Eb and i have to learn all songs written in E(tuning, not the key) a fret up. i just throw a capo on for standard, and yes it does get confusing when i go into guitar stores and try out guitars tuned in standard

i don't this this dude gets the point of dropping everything a half step
Quote by SuperDuperSlash

What makes it confusing? You're not exactly playing with a band so you don't sound way out of tune...you're only half a step up. That's just silly.
Quote by NightEmbers
van halen also has a D tuna or something like that to just hold the tension for standard and flip the switch for dropped d, at least thats what I think, but yeah it does exist =/

they have those on those ****ty ibanez GAX models
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112