I have a general understanding of theory and I enjoy writing more technical sounding riffs. 95% of the Time im in the Key of C and in drop C

I can write chuggity chug rythym stuff ALL day but when it comes to riffs like this

----------------------------------------||--------------------------------------------|
|-10h11-10--------------------------||o-10h11-10--------------------------------|
|------------------10------------------||------------------10-------------------------|
|-------------12------12p11---------||-------------12---------12p==11---------|
|-------------------------------12-----||o-------------------------------------12----|
|---------------------------------------||----------------------------------------------|

I couldnt have thought of that riff in 1000 years. I usually use the scales (modes maybe) of C minor and C harmonic Minor all over the neck. What scales or variant of Minor could i add to get a more techy sound like harmonic minor?

Also Any advice on writing leads like these

----------------------------|
|---------------------------|
|-0-3p0-------------------|
|--------4h7---5-4-------|
|-------------0------6-5--|
|-------------0------------| and

|----------------------------|-------------------|----------------------------
|----------------------------|-------------------|----7-8-10---------------------
|----------------------------|-----7------------|-----------------------------
|-4h5h7-5p0--8-7-------|-------8----------|----------------------------
|---------------------6-5---|-0-------9--0----|--0-------------------------
|----------------------------|-0-----------0----|--0----------------------------

Appreciate Any Help
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Last edited by ComradeRose at Feb 22, 2008,
practice a variety of scales not just the two and then split them up and pattern them around the fret board in between open Estrings etc and also learn technical riffy songs from a band, like i learn lots of log which i may add have lots and lots of the typa riffs your after so when i write im very natrually influenced by that style and sound. do that and try everything, record and maybe go back and pick up bits that could be improved and do that to everything and by the end you could have a pretty beast riff.
whos Log?, the riffs i posted were some August burns red
Also what variety of scales have that smae sound lol
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
^I'm assuming LOG stands for Lamb of God.

I personally find guitar pro to be very helpful, the fretboard map helps me for wrtinging stuff like that.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Lamb of God
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
They seem to use a lot of the penatonic scales. Its badass but not quiet the sound of scales in looking for

Im def going to learn some of their stuff though
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
If you have some free time, draw out the fretboard on a piece of paper and look for interesting patterns or wide intervallic (sp?) stretches in a certain scale. I read somewhere Paul Gilbert used to do this.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
not lamb of god..something like bodom would be better, personally i prefer to learn from people like Michael Angelo Batio and figure out the theory behind it all then use that for technical leads

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I think if you're having trouble composing melody, you should tune back up to E and review you knowledge and application of the modes of the major scale.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
I have 12G strings on my guitar, even with a through neck im affraid to tune even to D standard lol
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
^ lol dude i use 70-13's and im fine in E (i have a neck thru as well) don't sweat the tuning. if you hear your guitar start to creak when tuning then chill and let the strings stretch a bit.

secondly really to make stuff like that you have to well.... practice stuff like that! i was looking at some of the tab thinking "i do stuff like that all the time" (i don't often use it though)
If you listen to some great solos, like Jump from Van Halen or better yet Psycho Holiday by Pantera you will notice something:

It's arranged in segments of ideas. Bluesy melody -> fast run -> high pitched-squeal -> descending run + pentatonic pattern -> crazy noises -> wammy dive bomb

It's more than just playing fast and some strange scale that everyone knows anyway.

Actually, most of the better solos are not that complex scale-wise, but are cleverly constructed combinations of more ordinary types of ideas, like blues licks and so forth.

I'd say get better with improvising basic blues licks over a standard progression, then start adding some other scales into your blues improv. Then progress to arpeggios and finally incorporate your other elements like shredding, harmonics and the like.

It's all base around the melodic construction, and if you lack that you are simply playing notes and it will sound like exactly what it is - a turd.

There must be substance there, and if you listen to Psycho Holiday, not only is it jaw-droppingly fast, it's got plenty of meat on the bones, too. It moves, it takes you somewhere and slams your face into a brick wall before returning you, battered and broken, to where you started from.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by ComradeRose
I have a general understanding of theory and I enjoy writing more technical sounding riffs. 95% of the Time im in the Key of C and in drop C

I can write chuggity chug rythym stuff ALL day but when it comes to riffs like this

----------------------------------------||--------------------------------------------|
|-10h11-10--------------------------||o-10h11-10--------------------------------|
|------------------10------------------||------------------10-------------------------|
|-------------12------12p11---------||-------------12---------12p==11---------|
|-------------------------------12-----||o-------------------------------------12----|
|---------------------------------------||----------------------------------------------|

I couldnt have thought of that riff in 1000 years. I usually use the scales (modes maybe) of C minor and C harmonic Minor all over the neck. What scales or variant of Minor could i add to get a more techy sound like harmonic minor?

Also Any advice on writing leads like these

----------------------------|
|---------------------------|
|-0-3p0-------------------|
|--------4h7---5-4-------|
|-------------0------6-5--|
|-------------0------------| and

|----------------------------|-------------------|----------------------------
|----------------------------|-------------------|----7-8-10---------------------
|----------------------------|-----7------------|-----------------------------
|-4h5h7-5p0--8-7-------|-------8----------|----------------------------
|---------------------6-5---|-0-------9--0----|--0-------------------------
|----------------------------|-0-----------0----|--0----------------------------

Appreciate Any Help

There you go . Just jam in the scale a lot and see how other bands use it. Try and bring out the dissonances as much as possible