i have a legacy RB400 bass i got it last year in december but havent been able to play it much only bout 3 weeks including this week due to it breaking and being repaired. i am learning a second song the first song i learnt was entombment of a machine - job for a cowboy and want to learn a new song i am trying to learn a skull full of maggots - cannibal corpse and i am not sure if i should learn it since it might be to hard if you think i should/n't learn this tell me and if you think i shouldnt what do you thinki should learn first.
I say learn it, the heard the song more fun it is to learn. besides if it is a challenge, which CC usually is, you just improve that much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitz
The last cover I saw was of Pete Wentz. No kidding. I saw a Pete Wentz cover, then I never saw a Bass Guitar Magazine again.

Coincidence? I think not.
wait you only played your bass for 3 weeks and did entombment hmm than yea try out skom shouldn't be too hard
actually i had my bass for 4 days then learnt it in a week and was getting better at it over another week then it was broken and i got it back from repairs a week ago.. a lot of people were impressed but i dont think im really that good just determined..
Don't expect this forum to try and convince you that bass is an instrument worth playing. It's all about the self satisfaction of making music. You shouldn't play an instrument because other people want you to. There should be some sort of connection between you and a piece of music that influences you to choose that instrument.
Don't be scared of learning a song because you think it might be too hard. One of the reasons I choose to learn some of the songs I do is because they're quite hard. It takes some time to get them right, but it's great once you get there.

I agree with the person that said you will improve more if the song is challenging. I don't think you'd improve if you chose to play something ridiculously easy. However, with a challenge, I think you will.
Quote by JMDavis07
Don't expect this forum to try and convince you that bass is an instrument worth playing. It's all about the self satisfaction of making music. You shouldn't play an instrument because other people want you to. There should be some sort of connection between you and a piece of music that influences you to choose that instrument.

quoted for truth. If anything we want less bass players so we can get more gigs

Most players start out with stuff like green day and blink, even though its unbearable to listen to it will help you get in the pocket and locked into rhythm. then move up to something else you want to play. If what you want to play is hard then you'll get good, pretty simple.

If your determined like you say then its only a matter of time before you step up your game.
Quote by #1M
Don't be scared of learning a song because you think it might be too hard. One of the reasons I choose to learn some of the songs I do is because they're quite hard. It takes some time to get them right, but it's great once you get there.

I agree with the person that said you will improve more if the song is challenging. I don't think you'd improve if you chose to play something ridiculously easy. However, with a challenge, I think you will.

The trouble is, this is CC. SOme of his lines are rediculous. Admitedly, this is one of the easier CC lines, but for a beginner, the speed and rhythm changes will be seriously discouraging.

As you are just starting, seriously try to play easy songs just to build familiarity with the instrument. Then move on to more complex pieces.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
The trouble is, this is CC. SOme of his lines are rediculous. Admitedly, this is one of the easier CC lines, but for a beginner, the speed and rhythm changes will be seriously discouraging.

As you are just starting, seriously try to play easy songs just to build familiarity with the instrument. Then move on to more complex pieces.

Yeah, you have a point there. Some of their songs have crazy bass lines. You probably should try to find a slightly easier song to learn. Don't choose a song too easy though.

Something that I like to when I'm learning a hard song is, if I'm struggling with a part of it, I play it a bit slower than the actual song. As I get more confident with it, I start playing a bit faster, until eventually I can play it at full speed. See if that works for you if you're struggling.
Quote by #1M
Yeah, you have a point there. Some of their songs have crazy bass lines. You probably should try to find a slightly easier song to learn. Don't choose a song too easy though.

Something that I like to when I'm learning a hard song is, if I'm struggling with a part of it, I play it a bit slower than the actual song. As I get more confident with it, I start playing a bit faster, until eventually I can play it at full speed. See if that works for you if you're struggling.

That implies enough skill on the instrument to develop good muscle memory. Not going to happen with less than a months playing.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
That implies enough skill on the instrument to develop good muscle memory. Not going to happen with less than a months playing.

Sorry, I didn't know that. I'd probably been playing for around 6 months before I heard about it. I didn't realise that beginners might struggle with playing it slower then building up the speed.
Quote by #1M
Sorry, I didn't know that. I'd probably been playing for around 6 months before I heard about it. I didn't realise that beginners might struggle with playing it slower then building up the speed.

When you are just starting out, you will still be having to think about every little thing you do in order to maintain proper technique. If you manage to reduce the string changes etc, it makes life much easier when it comes to developing basic skills.

Face it, it is easier to check your playing on simpler songs. To a new bassist, when to them may sound like Frantic Disembowlement perfectly executed is a jumble of fret buzz and clicks to everyone else. Your bog standard root note bass lines allow people to develope bassic fretting and plucking techinques. While even to a fresh bassist, it may sound trivial, but if these skills aren't learnt properly, you will seriously struggle later on.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
When you are just starting out, you will still be having to think about every little thing you do in order to maintain proper technique. If you manage to reduce the string changes etc, it makes life much easier when it comes to developing basic skills.

Face it, it is easier to check your playing on simpler songs. To a new bassist, when to them may sound like Frantic Disembowlement perfectly executed is a jumble of fret buzz and clicks to everyone else. Your bog standard root note bass lines allow people to develope bassic fretting and plucking techinques. While even to a fresh bassist, it may sound trivial, but if these skills aren't learnt properly, you will seriously struggle later on.

I completely agree with everything you've said there. Changing strings quickly could be incredibly difficult for a new bassist and root note bass lines do help for developing basic techniques.

I was only encouraging him to learn the song because he says he can already play Entombment of a Machine, which I think is fairly complicated in parts. I wasn't suggesting that he only plays complicated songs, I just think a challenge is good sometimes.
Quote by gm jack

uhh thanks for the help.. i think it isnt very hard to play the songs slower then build up speed. i could only play entombment about half speed for a liul while. and started building up.. i would have chosen an easier song but of what i like i can only find stuff that is too easy like slayer, amon amarth, ect.. and of the harder stuff i couldnt find much of the bands that are easier then CC but harder then slayer ect. because the bands aren't as well tabbed and bass tabs are harder to find already and then bands have barely any guitar tabs let alone bass tabs and so on.. im gonna stop blabbing on about this and go practice
i learnt it.. took me 3 days but i got it.. cant play full speeed yet tho bout 3/4 i think but im workin on it
Nice.
Keep working on it, you'll be able to play it full speed in no time.
Quote by #1M
Nice.
Keep working on it, you'll be able to play it full speed in no time.

+1.

I wasn't trying to say it was beyond you. Just make sure you are playing it perfectly. Make sure each note is perfectly timed and comes out in the same way as if you were playing at half speed. Don't allow for rattling frets because your fretting wasn't quick enough etc.

Other than that, good luck. You'll have Frantic Disembowelment down in no time .

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
99.999% that you're playing it wrong.
Mind putting a video\recording up?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
i havent got anything to record. and i dont think i will be buying anything to do so anytime soon either.
What's been said above is correct- learn on songs with minimal string changes, wild fretting, etc., etc. CC has... a lot of that, from what I gather. If you really want a challenge, I'd say go for it; after all, if you can do it, more power to you. But yeah, make sure to get down the basic rooting and such.

Also, my first song that I learned on was "In The Flesh".