I have good rythem I understand melody and I am in no way tone deaf, But my voice is so god awful. It's real frustrating I'm not interested in being able to preform with my voice, I'm a guitar player first and foremost but I'd like to be able to sit by myself and sing along with my guitar. I've heard a lot of people say anyone can learn to sing if they are not naturally adept but It doesn;t seem so for me. The best I can do is match pitch with my voice. Though once in a very blue moon I'll be able to sing a certain passage to a song kinda ok, so I'll sing it over and over hopeing to get it in my head the way i'm sining but I'll come back the next day and I'm singing like **** again I feel like god is ****ing with me. It's pretty frustrating becasue a lot of my idols are guys like tom petty beck and cat stevens and all I want to do is chill out and sing some of their songs and work on my own tunes, but I open my mouth and I want to punch my self. I just want to know what you guys think, is it true that I can learn to sing or is it strictly a natural talent and I should just keep my mouth shut?
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
Quote by RyanGillam
Ever considered singing lessons?

I'd love to, unfortunatley i don't have the money for that kind of thing, I'm pretty much on my own.
Barf

Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
i'm kinda on the same boat as you. I can play many many instruments, and I can fluently read sheet music in treble or bass cleffs, I know much about music theory, but I am a very poor singer. My voice cracks, I rarely hit the notes spot on, and my voice just sounds bad. It really sucks
Quote by Grapejuiceksjdf
I'd love to, unfortunatley i don't have the money for that kind of thing, I'm pretty much on my own.

I suppose you could get a book, there are plenty of books regarding singing out there. Of course I don't know how good they are because in order to sing properly you need someone there to help and books are probably more ideal for developing a decent singing voice.

Try on amazon and look at the reviews for "Singing for Dummies" and the likes.
Quote by rush5757
i'm kinda on the same boat as you. I can play many many instruments, and I can fluently read sheet music in treble or bass cleffs, I know much about music theory, but I am a very poor singer. My voice cracks, I rarely hit the notes spot on, and my voice just sounds bad. It really sucks

Yea dude I know it's so lame. The most annoying thing is when you realise you can play a beautiful and soulful piece on an instrument but can't sing as good your friend in the car who sings along with the radio who can't even sing good themselfs, just better than you.
Barf

Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
Quote by RyanGillam
I suppose you could get a book, there are plenty of books regarding singing out there. Of course I don't know how good they are because in order to sing properly you need someone there to help and books are probably more ideal for developing a decent singing voice.

Try on amazon and look at the reviews for "Singing for Dummies" and the likes.

yea I hadn't thought too much about that, that's a good idea.
Barf

Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
it;s kind of same with me, well I can sing while my rythm is in the same pitch with my voice but if I change the pitch than I am in the middle of no where so I find that stupid
People keep asking us where Paul is. That's a really funny question. See, if Paul was still in the band then we wouldn't have a new fucking record. That's why Paul isn't in the band anymore. (by Maynard James Keenan)
i falseto on 1 octave above middle C....
that doesnt mean i can sing either though, im more of a low grumble...
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
I'm going through Singing For Dummies right now, it seems like a good starting point to learn about bad habits to avoid and that kind of stuff.

I would like to find a method book though, with more exercises geared towards giving the singing voice confidence and power .Singing for Dummies has that, but in the beginning they feel short and insufficient, I would like to find something that's the vocal equivalent to Modern Method for Guitar, a bible that everyone recommends.