What kinda oils should I use for a maple fretboard?
I was thinking of using olive oil like another guy said.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
maple necks are varnished aren't they? or is that only on electric guitars?
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

They're varnished on some guitars, and some basses. Rics have lacquered fingerboards, I think.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
so technically the oil wouldnt reach the wood...
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Yeah, those fingerboards dont need to be oiled. Mine does.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
I don't think it does... Maple fretboards don't require any upkeep, as far as I know. If you use the standard lemon oil you can actually visibly scar it with huge brown streaks or something. What bass do you have?
i found this whole pack of cleaners that i use everytime i change strings. its called trick fretboard cleaner. i dont know what oil its got in it. but it keeps it clean and shiny
I have heard of people putting tung oil on their maple necks every couple of years to keep the finish up, but never tried this myself. I usually use a very light coating of beeswax, but you have to really work it in so its not "tacky" to the touch afterwards.
Quote by shotbythepope
What kinda oils should I use for a maple fretboard?
I was thinking of using olive oil like another guy said.

Seriously, unless you want your guitar to stink (unboiled/undistilled vegetal oils degrade fast)...

First, don't attempt to wax the fretboard, the wax will simply be scrapped off by the strings and turn into goo.

Maple fretboard, oil finish:

1) pre-sanding: clean surface throughly with a hard toothbrush, and naphta (or lighter fluid), one fretspace after another, wiping off all fluid with paper towel (kitchen paper or toilet paper) after each fretspace.

2) removing the old oil finish: lightly sand the surface with very fine (#220-240 grit) paper, then with lower super fine (#380-440 grit) paper,

3) remove sanding dust with cloth, lightly dampened with naphta,

4) wipe dry with towel paper and let residuals evaporate for 24 hours,

5) pour some "Tru-Oil Gunstock Oil" or "Watco Danish Oil" on a cloth and wipe on the whole fingerboard,

6) let sit 1 minute for the oil to slightly penetrate, wipe off dry with clean paper towel,

7) let dry roughly 12-24 hours,

8) lightly sand with lower super fine (#380-440 grit) paper, wipe off dust with cloth, lightly dampened with mineral spirit,

9) repeat steps 6 to 8 three times, omitting step 8 on the last run,

10) with a cotton cloth, lightly but firmly rub and buff each fret space for a minute.

You're done. The finish should last at least 2-3 years, considering a minimum *** 2 hours daily usage ***, easily 10 to 15 years if played only once weekly.
Last edited by ColdGin at Mar 7, 2008,
Woah, that sounds like a lotta work ColdGin, can't I just take some oil and rub it on the fretboard? That's the way they told me to do it on the the other oils i used for my old bass.

My bass is a Fernandes Atlas, pretty much a MM based bass.
If maple fingerboards do not need upkeep, how do I at least clean it so it wont have those 'dry' spots or discoloured patches i see on uncared for guitars?

Thanks guys.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights