Hey guys,

I have a Fender Deluxe Tube amp that I got from my uncle. I don't have enough money
to get a new amp, so I must make due with what I have.

I play a lot of stuff similar to the likes of Iron Maiden, Randy Rhodes, (I try) Paul Gilbert/Racer X, and 'classic?' metal. By classic I mean not the ****ty stuff like A Bullet for my Pus$y and Atreyu and ****. Although I do like some 'scooped mids' stuff sometimes. (Lamb of God-esque)

Ok. So to get that 'hardrock' 'classic metal' tone (because I know I can't get a Decapitated-esque tone) out of my Fender Tube amp, which would be better:

Boosting the signal with a Tube Screamer (TS808 or TS909?)
or just get a distortion pedal, particularly the Metal Muff?

*I hate computer stuff like Line 6. I already have a Laptop, I don't need
another computer*

Fender Tube Amp = Tube Screamer or Metal Muff?
I also love jazz (Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton) etc, so I would feel terrible selling it.

I do have enough money for a smaller amp.

What about the Peavey Valveking 212?
I FoRGOT To MeNTION - It needs to be a combo amp.

I can't have a Head and Cab.

I need an amp capable of playing in my school gymnasium, as my band plays often at those type of gigs.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
The Randall is definitely capable of being loud enough to play in a school gymnasium. It's a much better amplifier for metal, and the more gain you add to your tone, the louder it gets anyway.

+1 on the Randall over the VK for metal. You don't need 100W or a second speaker to play your school gym. You'll probably have the master on that Randall well below the halfway mark, and still be pissing off your principal.

Take a look at the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde pedal, too. It's a TS808 clone on one side, and a distortion pedal on the other (a better distortion than the Metal Muff, IMHO). Your Fender will never be a great metal amp, but that pedal could help.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.