My GA5 just arrived, and obviously being from Germany, has a German plug. Will it be safe for me to use the power supply from my Valvetronix (5A, 250V, 50Hz) with it?
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Possibly. It depends on what kind of current the Germans use in their power supplies. You'll have to look it up, or at least read the manual and see what voltages the GA5 uses, because using the wrong amount of power could damage the amp.
GA5 is 230V, fuse is 250V.

Gah. But the power supply that came with it is 250V...?
Quote by Alicee

I Don't Play Metal.
Last edited by happy-and-lost at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Wiki
Following voltage harmonization all electricity supply within the European Union is now nominally 230 V ± 10% at 50 Hz [1]. For a transition period (1995–2008), countries who previously used 220 V will use a narrower asymmetric tolerance range of 230 V +6% −10% and those (like the UK) who previously used 240 V will use 230 V +10% −6%[2]. Note that no change in voltage is required by either system as both 220V and 240V fall within the lower 230 V tolerance bands (230 V ±6%). In practice this means that countries such as the UK that previously supplied 240 V continue to do so, and those that previously supplied 220 V continue to do so. However equipment should be designed to accept any voltages within the specified range, and in practice most do so.

I think that will be relevant. If it's a 230v supply that came with it then I think it would be fine. Under the power input on my VC15 it says ~230v which falls between the normal 220v and 240v supply that we get in the UK. All I can say, really, is try it, but be aware that it may not work...
The worst that'll happen will be I blow the fuse, right?
Quote by Alicee

I Don't Play Metal.
Unfortunately, I can't answer that - I have very little knowledge of how amps work. Just that they do and that I like them

I would think that, if the current is too high, the fuse would blow before any of it could get to the rest of the amp and thus save it from any damage, but again I can't put any level of certainty on that.
OK... I'm going in...

It works! There's no light on the power button though. *shrugs*

Thanks for your support, Denthúl
Quote by Alicee

I Don't Play Metal.
aww the power button is supposed to be nice and glowy

anyway there is no worries with having 10% more or less voltage from the supply it. eddie van halen did too err i think he added a resistor to reduce the voltage by 10% or somthing. yeah

wohiii im drunkj
Quote by happy-and-lost
OK... I'm going in...

It works! There's no light on the power button though. *shrugs*

Thanks for your support, Denthúl

That's good to hear and you're most welcome. Shame about the power button but hey, tone is much better than fancy lights

Hope you enjoy your new amp

^ Being drunk is baaaaaaaad...
Mmm... it's really nice. Bargain. Will a Bad Monkey go well with it? The Muff just isn't appropriate sometimes!
Quote by Alicee

I Don't Play Metal.