Hi everyone

My Ashdown Fallen Angel tube broke so I was thinking of buying a new balanced set and putting them in and keeping the others just encase I get any other issues, so my Amp uses, 4x 12AX7's with 2x EL34's with fixed bias.

I was thinking of buying these...

2x Groove Tube - 6CA7GE to replace the EL34's
and 4x Groove Tube - 12AX7-C or 12AX7 TUNGSOL in gold.

I've never replaced tubes before but I have a competent electrical knowledge, I build computers and feel I can do this.

Just wanted to know if the valves will be ok? Or any suggestions on anything better?

Thanks
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
don't get ggroove tubes, they're not as good as you think.

They're not actually made by groove tubes either. They're made in different places and relabled by groove tubes.

Ive had nothing but good experiences with companies like "winged c" (SED), tung-sol, and electro harmonix tubes. If I were you, I would get SED EL34's, and tung-sol 12ax7's

And you should just be able to pop the new ones in, just be careful and make sure to unplug it (obviously)

Hope this helped
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by EVH92
don't get ggroove tubes, they're not as good as you think.

They're not actually made by groove tubes either. They're made in different places and relabled by groove tubes.

Ive had nothing but good experiences with companies like "winged c" (SED), tung-sol, and electro harmonix tubes. If I were you, I would get SED EL34's, and tung-sol 12ax7's

And you should just be able to pop the new ones in, just be careful and make sure to unplug it (obviously)

Hope this helped

Yea i also noticed the GT are way over priced for what they are do you know any really good places to buy them online in the UK?

Thanks

Fender 2006 Anniversary
Hay Sorry to bring up this thread but I was looking at buying some Peavy tubes are they good they seem reasonably priced!

I was looking at some Mullard made in UK tubes but at £89.99 for the EL34's I crapped myself instantly.

Fender 2006 Anniversary
Peavey tubes are rebranded chinese tubes....

Mullards are great but very expensive... If they're NOS they'll sound fantastic but yeah very pricey.

Best place to buy in the UK pricewise is probably from www.banzaieffects.com . They're german, but shipping is very reasonable and there's no extra costs.

There's also watfordvalves.com , but they don't include VAT on their online shopping cart and don't tell you what postage is either... I payed £20 for valves on there and when I got them my bill was for £28.

I'd go with all Tung-Sol 12AX7s, and a pair of either Svetlana Winged C EL34s or JJ E34Ls. I'd purchase from banzai personally... And make sure your power tubes are a matched pair. To do that on banzai you buy 2 'platinum matched' ones.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Peavey tubes are rebranded chinese tubes....

Mullards are great but very expensive... If they're NOS they'll sound fantastic but yeah very pricey.

Best place to buy in the UK pricewise is probably from www.banzaieffects.com . They're german, but shipping is very reasonable and there's no extra costs.

There's also watfordvalves.com , but they don't include VAT on their online shopping cart and don't tell you what postage is either... I payed £20 for valves on there and when I got them my bill was for £28.

I'd go with all Tung-Sol 12AX7s, and a pair of either Svetlana Winged C EL34s or JJ E34Ls. I'd purchase from banzai personally... And make sure your power tubes are a matched pair. To do that on banzai you buy 2 'platinum matched' ones.

Kool website man thanks for that.

So if I select 2 matched and balanced 12ax7's I will receive 4 valves or just one matched pair?

Thanks!

Fender 2006 Anniversary
Last edited by Cloudkill at Feb 23, 2008,