Page 1 of 3
Or rather let the person listen to whatever he wants? It's not like you're music taste is superior to his.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I got my one friend into metal by Judas Priest.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
i got into metal by slipknot <3
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by dead-fish
Or rather let the person listen to whatever he wants? It's not like you're music taste is superior to his.

Good argument, but I have introduced quite a few people into metal, and even though they once didn't like it they do now. They just weren't used to it, they still listen to other music, but I do too and I don't particularly care what they listen to. I just thought they'd like it as it's such good music.

And to TS, depends what they like, if they like rap, try get them into rapcore or something, or if they like pop, try some music that isn't to heavy and has good catchy choruses, and then just proceed to get tjem into heavier and heavier stuff.
it all depends, what kinda music are they listening to right now? if they listen to normal rock or hardrock stuff like Van Halen, start out with Maiden, then Judas Priest, work your way to Metallica and Pentera, then some Slayer
after that it's time for the death/black metal
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Imo, let him listen to what ever he wants, if he listens to rap and hiphop, give him some ska, or maybe some Rancid type punk, just to get him on a wider range. If it's just rap, Try showing them Anthrax's Bring the Noise with Public Enemy. As much as I love metal, I still think stuff from the 80's is the best in every aspect. Screw Slipknot, they aren't metal.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
also, if they are rap listeners, give them Baby Got Back by Throwdown, and Bring Tha Noize by Anthrax and Public Enemy
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
My path was...

Oasis->Nirvana->Iron Maiden->Korn->Cradle of Filth->In Flames->Dark Tranquillity and right not I'm listening to 'Open the Gates' by Gorgoroth. Oh what a journey I've had.
Quote by Kensai
IF YOU TYPE WITH BIG LETTERS YOUR POINT WILL COME ACROSS EASIER!

Seriously wtf was that?
Quote by 68_SG
Imo, let him listen to what ever he wants, if he listens to rap and hiphop, give him some ska, or maybe some Rancid type punk, just to get him on a wider range. If it's just rap, Try showing them Anthrax's Bring the Noise with Public Enemy. As much as I love metal, I still think stuff from the 80's is the best in every aspect. Screw Slipknot, they aren't metal.

Contradictive.

Try Gojira, it always works.

Always. ****ing. Works.

And Between the Buried and Me.
Quote by GuitarHero0715
Contradictive.

Try Gojira, it always works.

Always. ****ing. Works.

And Between the Buried and Me.

So a damn heavy prog-death band and a band that has written a 60-minute epic?

No. Bad. Especially if he's used to 3 minute songs.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
Metallica and the rest comes by itself

+1000000000000
uhuh .. oh yeh .. umm .. okay
Quote by Dr. No
I got my one friend into metal by Judas Priest.

Worked for me too
Quote by webbtje
So a damn heavy prog-death band and a band that has written a 60-minute epic?

No. Bad. Especially if he's used to 3 minute songs.

I dont know, for some reason people are attracted to it.

I know alot of indie kids that like Gojira, I guess its because they have a somewhat positive outlook/lyrics?(Compared to most metal)

OPETH!
Last edited by GuitarHero0715 at Feb 22, 2008,
linkin park - hybrid theory followed by metaallicas' awesome justice album worked for me
start with metalcore...personally i reckon i killed the prom queen are probably the best of the genre. and this bit will be especially controversial, but from there go to bring me the horizon...not the old ****, the album.

why? because then you can go to the black dahlia murder, and then the bands that influenced their riffing style. at the gates, dissection, cannibal corpse, necrophagist, etc.

if that works than you should be able to get them into just about anything i reckon.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Metallica and Black Sabbath for sure. Very easy bands to get into. For albums, I would say for Metallica - The Black Album, and for Sabbath - Paranoid.

If he likes these you could show him Megadeth, though their best stuff would be a little hard to follow for someone who doesn't like metal/play the guitar.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by GuitarHero0715
I dont know, for some reason people are attracted to it.

I know alot of indie kids that like Gojira, I guess its because they have a somewhat positive effect in music?

OPETH!

Yay

Don't get me wrong, I love Gojira, but when I first listened to them the heaviness struck me like a large anvil to the testicles, so I don't know if it's a good thing for a pop dude.
Quote by webbtje
Yay

Don't get me wrong, I love Gojira, but when I first listened to them the heaviness struck me like a large anvil to the testicles, so I don't know if it's a good thing for a pop dude.

I have a friend, and she listens to pop, and hip hop stuff mainly. But on top of that she likes Gojira. Always found that kind of strange.
Metallica?

Yeah its the obvious choice, but they pretty much are the perfect metal.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
Metallica and the rest comes by itself

I got into metal through Metallica also and now I still love them.
whatever u do dont start em on grindcore...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
I first started listening to metal by listening to Black Sabbath and a bit of Rammstein and Linkin Park, but i'm now into only Troo Metalz \m/
i say start with ac/dc (because thats what got me into metal), then move into sabbath, then metallica, maiden, etc.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
I started with classic rock, then hard rock, then Black Sabbath was the first metal band, then Metallica, Megadeth etc.

The only success I've had with other people is by one guy power metal (and now he only likes one power metal song) and another guy, who I got to listen to Metallica, Sabbath, Megadeth, and lots of melodeath/extreme power metal i.e. Children of Bodom, Norther, Kalmah etc.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Metallica...

Or Sabbath or Ozzy those were my first
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Hybrid Theory Linkin Park wouldnt be too bad to start with. Every one has heard of System of a Down i think, so maybe try some of their harder songs, like Toxicity and Attack. Then some Mastodon, like Iron Tusk or Wolf is Loose. Guns N Roses is a good one, maybe some stuff like Scorpions if they like pop-metal-type stuff. Old Ozzy, like Crazy Train and No More Tears is good too i think.
I was playing some Pantera last night and a friend of mine became interested in them. She's not into metal at all.
I'm not big into metal at all but I still like Metallica a lot. I also think Iron Maiden and Avenged Sevenfold are good, I personally love Dragonforce as well just for the sick guitar work. All of these should appease someone who's not into metal.
Current Rig:
Les Paul Studio Ash
Martin DCX1E Acoustic
50 Watt Valvetronix
Boss ME-50
I got a friend of mine into metal through Necrophagist, it was weird to say the least.

EDIT:

Quote by YlwThunder87
Avenged Sevenfold are good, I personally love Dragonforce as well just for the sick guitar work. All of these should appease someone who's not into metal.

The aim is to make them into a metalhead not a hipster who likes to think he's a metalhead.
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Metallica, Blind Guardian, Alestorm, Ensiferum, Dragonforce, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Once again you've impressed me PWF. You remind me of a younger, better version of myself.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
I got into metal through Rammstein. Oh yes.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I started on AC/DC, then Metallica. Now I listen to Decapitated.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Start 'em off with the basics like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, etc. Soilwork and Gojira are good for introducing them to harsh vocals (as are Disarmonia Mundi, since they have Soilwork's vocalist).

From there, it shouldn't be too hard.
Page 1 of 3