I searched but found nothing. I find my tone to be just a little too smooth, I want something more brutal, something like the tones on Symphonies of Sickness and Nectrotism by Carcass. What is the trick behind this? Any specific mics to use or equalizing? I know some people look at this as being just horrible production quality, but I tend to love it. So how do I degrade my sound in such a nice way? I don't think an MG will do it.

My gear is in my profile.
bit crusher
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
A lot of that really harsh, gritty (and in my opinion painful to listen to) tone is in the production. I've recorded a couple of death metal acts including an undergroudn Black Metal project that was only released on 500 cassette tapes (that's right, cassettes) and I found it was easier to start with a smooth tone, then mess it up in the production.

The easiest way I found was to overdrive the everloving ass out of a cheap, solid state mic preamp. The cheap preamps tend to naturally favour the ugly parts of the top end, non musical frequencies that are mostly multiples of the dreaded 250Hz(the least music frequency ever (5000Hz and upwards are the most obvious to hear). Also, some nice harsh EQ to knock off most of the bottom end and a high shelf EQ of about +3Db centred around 3000Hz is a good start.

Also, I prefer to record with just an SM57 when doing that kind of tone. The 57 is a great mic for guitars and won't give that tone by itself, but it provides plenty of clear top end presence for you to tinker with without killing the bottom end should you want to keep some of that.

Hope that helps ya there man. And if you were wondering, the Black Metal thing I did is called Nekros Manteia, it's about as underground as it comes but if you can find any around, it might be worth a look for you.
I've noticed the same thing recording lately. I've noticed depending on the notes played, you can sometimes create a false "gritty" sound by letting the mics clip. This is obviously what's going on inside the amp as well, but it works if you're using a mic for a crunchy tone. don't overdo it or you'll lose everything else. Just a wee bit past clipping
Brotherhood of Vox Group Member #30
'08 Fender American Standard Strat
'07 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Honeyburst w/Gibson 498T &490R
'06 Ibanez Artcore Archtop

Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH w/Blue 4x12" Vox Cab
Vox AD30VT
I'm pretty sure it either clips or it doesn't, with no inbetween sound.

I would just dial in your dirty sound and then use a distortion plugin as well to get it sounding good and horrible.
There is poetry in despair.
Make sure you put the mic right on the cone to get all the piercing high-end frequencies. I'd imagine using some crappy karaoke mic or little clip on PC mic would get some really nasty tone.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
It's probably worth turning down the level on pretty much effect you use, and using a heavier gauge of strings, this will give the 'gritty' quality something to latch onto.
How can it be hard to get bad recording? I manage it effortlessly myself

Anyway. Use your cheapest gear. Budget mic, plug it straight into a PC sound card. Record at extremely low levels then amplify the recorded sound. Record at a lower bit-depth and frequency. And then EQ it with lots of high end, and make sure the bass gets buried in the mix.
Quote by Dores
I don't think an MG will do it.

Lots of people in the Electric Guitar section think otherwise.

But yes, ultimately it comes to your post production that'll lower the sound quality. One out-of-the ordinary thing to try is Izotope's Vinyl plugin...it can sound retro-degraded.
Did I miss something, or has everyone else missed the most obvious solution.... try another amp! Get the *source* to sound the way you want, and then record it! Not suggesting spending a ton of money on a new amp, but borrowing, temporarily swapping, renting, whatever. My personal fave is borrowing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Get a better amp. An MG will not cut it if you are looking for studio quality sound.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
Get a better amp. An MG will not cut it if you are looking for studio quality sound.

He's going for digitally distorted crappy sound...changed your mind?
From what (probably incorrect) info I could hastily dig up they used 5150s boosted with Maxxons and a Marshall combo for the most part.

If you want EXTREME grit, even more so than Carcass, try something along the lines of this -

In your track EQ like Low cut @ 125hz, big boost at 1000-1315hz, big cut around 2.2kz-3150hz, high shelf starting at 5khz with a rather big boost. If that doesn't sound too good, reversed the midrange boost/cuts, and tweak until if it sounds overly treble tray adding small ammounts from 360hz to 440hz to fatten up the lower frequencies, or cut less in the 1-2khz range.

There actual tone from what I've heard of the Necrotism album sounds like a 5150 with 1 dynamic, probably a Sm57, right on the speaker cone on axis, another off towards the edge, or posssibly off axis to the center, but on axis with the paper. Mix to taste.

Dont know how effective micing an MG will be though...
Quote by Fast_Fingers
He's going for digitally distorted crappy sound...changed your mind?

Good point. An MG might be the perfect thing.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I've read the classic Swedish death metal sound comes from playing through a MT-2 with really cut mids.

Wiki saiz:

"The first wave of "Swedish death metal" consisted primarily of the bands Carnage and Nihilist, who fragmented later into Entombed, Dismember and Unleashed. These bands used the trademark Tomas Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios "buzzsaw" guitar tone, which was created by a combination of heavily detuned electric guitars and a 40 watt Peavey amp exclusively miked from behind the speaker cabinet, thus prioritizing the low frequencies in the recording process."

It wouldn't surprise me if that Peavey was a Bandit. Norwegian black metal bands mostly used Bandits and many of their members started in death metal bands. It's not unlikely that late 80s/early 90s Swedish and Norwegian bands playing melodeath with similar tones would have used similar equipment. Only a bunch of the Norwegian bands switched to black metal by 1991 or so and kept their equipment.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2