What would a good tube amp be for $300-400? I play hard rock or heavier, and since I think my Valvestate is about to crap out on me, what would be a good tube amp?
EDIT: I have a distortion pedal for my extreme metal needs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Crate V18 sounds pretty good but is much more classic rock oriented. If you have access to a cab, the Peavey Windsor would likely be your best bet.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I wouldn't go for the classic playing hardrock or metal or whatever. Probably aint' gonna get much better than what you got for that price. Look used. save more money.
alright. Btw, I was looking at the peavey valveking 112. Is that a good amp?
EDIT: I just need a combo.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
valveking is a decent tube amp. also are you planning on gigging with it? if its just a practice amp then check out the new blackheart amps.
No, I'll end up gigging with it at some point. also, would a 5w tube amp be loud enough for playing witha drummer? I don't think so, but I have no prior experience with tubes.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
no 5 watts most likely wont cut it for gigging or jamming with a drummer, i would recommend atleast 15 watts at the very minimum. I know the peavey windsor head goes into hard rock areas and im pretty sure with an overdrive pedal the windsor studio will too. also check out ebay. hard to find a quality tube amp for gigging under 400 though.
alright thanks for the help.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
us? yes. Type? g n'r, AC/DC,Zeppelin, that type of stuff.
BTW, thanks for the advice on bumping.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The windsor sounds great for you.
But, it really doesn't have cleans.
If you want cleans, I say go for a classic. A classic will get those tones with an OD, but not on it's own. The windsor however, should be able to. But it doesn't have cleans.
So, your choice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think I'll look at the windsor or something similar. thanks for the help.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Used is the best option. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a both cheap and good high-gain amp. You are looking at medium gain without a pedal if you buy new. The highest gain new amp that's cheap I know of is the Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 combo, some recommend it for metal, I don't play metal. It has a slightly higher gain than moderate without a pedal. Good for my more modern interpretation of Classic Rock/Blues.
I was thinking about the valve king. BTW, I have a dist pedal for really heavy stuff.
by the way, how loud does 50w get?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 22, 2008,
Definitely try the VK, also the Windsor. The Windsor has all the gain of the VK but not very good cleans. The VK has just as much gain as the Windsor, but is more American-voiced. The cleans on the VK are better than the Windsor, but not pristine or sparkling like a Fender. Good for blues tones though.
ear bleeding
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
And tinnitus-causing.
It'll be able to knock your drummer over.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ok, so I really won't need to turn it up...
By the way you guys are extremely helpful. also, does anyone else have experience with a valvestate crapping out on them?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^ look into the Classic 30 to it can handle anything nearly up to thrash metal with the right guitar, and with a nice OD it will do more. The VK is awesome deal but I don't just love the stock tone, but for 400 bucks, its the real deal IMO, but I like the C30 a lot better, it just has a lot nicer tone.
BTW I play a lot more hard rock than any thing and I use the C30 head with a 412 cab, I use an OD a lot to push it a little harder, it can handle some harder stuff. I play in drop d alot and I think with the OD it sounds very good also the amp will really come to life when you turn it way up. Also for hard rock hummbuckers are a must with this amp.
You have given the best info so far
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden