Hello Amp users,

At the moment I play a Vox AD50VT, which I got when they first came out a few years back, but I've since grown out of it.

I very much like the 'nu metal' aka 'recto setting', which models the dual/triple rectifier, and would obviously like to pursue this kind of tone in the future.

Basically, I can't afford a real mesa boogie amplifier, nor do I have space for it, so I was wondering if anyone knows any cheaper alternatives.

Ideally, I'd like to spend less than £600 ($900), although I'm willing to go a little bit higher, and would prefer a smallish combo with a single speaker.

I really like the smooth treble and insane amount of presence of the vox model, but would like something a little brighter.

Any help would be appreciated
Engl Screamer would have that kind of tonal characteristics, right?

Btw, should have mentioned this before, but I'm not looking for a high gain amp, medium gain will be sufficient
how about the XL series of the Vox Valvetronix, im not sure what the difference is, but it is different to the normal Valvetronix amps
Nope, no metal.

It's quite hard to explain what it is that I'll be playing, so I'll settle on "classic rock, old school punk, and my own stuff".

I play quite a lot of psychedelia, too, but I just use my standard tone.

I'd post a soundclip, but it'd be pointless because there'd be too much unfixable colouration

But if you've played the recto model, that's it.

Sorry I couldn't be much help, and I will be sure to check the Orange amongst others. I played a Vox AC30 of some sort or another before but didn't like it very much, although I am going on the premise that all Vox AC30's sound roughly the same.
Quote by Symmetry4321
how about the XL series of the Vox Valvetronix, im not sure what the difference is, but it is different to the normal Valvetronix amps

I really want to go all-valve, the XLK series isn't that much difference, plus they got rid of the only high gain model I like on it.

If yo find one you like, go and try it out in a guitar shop. I think you'll like the Orange though.

*Decides to stroll down to sound control*

It's Southampton's home of rock and roll, y'know
Randall 150G3 head with valve dynamic. Yeah, I know it's a hybrid, but the thing is one of the best amps out there...good clean tones and almost mesa like distortion. I know B-52 makes an all-tube head for around $500 that's supposedly got some kind of rectifier setting, but from what I hear it makes almost no difference. Definitely the Randall though...those amps are crazy good.
Just because you're paranoid
Don't mean they're not after you

My stuff:
Fender Jag-stang
Schectar Tempest
Randall RH150G3
ProCo Rat
Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby
Check out the new Bugera amp line, their pretty cheap, all tube amps, but their almost exact copies of peavey amps, same components and everything. they have ones based on teh 6505, 6505+, XXX, and JSX, maybe you should check the xxx or jsx based ones, they're very versitile amps.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
As long as they sound NOTHING like Valvekings, I'm prepared to give them a go.

Right then, time to head downtown, me thinks...
It's pretty strange to see dsubstanceuk banned, as illustrated in this thread, he was very helpful indeed.

I checked out the orange rocker and ac30, but they were a little too crunchy, whereas I like smooth.

I guess I'll keep looking, or else save up for a Mesa... eek!
Hmm, I've had Laney Bass Amps before, which were quite good value, although I've not checked out their range of guitar amps.

It's another thing to try I suppose
Krank Rev Jr maybe? £599 dont sound half bad for a 20w dual channel mini stack.

http://machinehead.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=GBP&products_id=1270www.machinehead.co.uk/index.php
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Basically, I can't afford a real mesa boogie amplifier, nor do I have space for it, so I was wondering if anyone knows any cheaper alternatives.

Ideally, I'd like to spend less than £600 ($900), although I'm willing to go a little bit higher, and would prefer a smallish combo with a single speaker.

Are you kidding? An F-series or DC combo would be ideal, have a look through the Guitarist calssifieds and so on. In fact, I'm selling my DC-5 for around £550...
It's not single speaker, but a Carvin V3 combo would just about fit that budget, and I'm told they can reach a pretty mesa-ish tone.

Then again, not sure how available they are in UK.
Ok, bit of advice, Sound Control is not as good as it's made out to be. THEY DON'T EVEN STOCK LANEY :O

but really, a Vox AC30 would be ideal for that tone, but seeing as you're not a fan, try the Laney VC30, quite similar, but not particularly high gain, you might want an overdrive with it.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Iv spent insane ammounts of time with my mates dads ac-30 and they sound absolutely nothing like a recto. Its by no means a modern amp, listen to the intro to everlong by foo fighters for its general vibe. Playing metal on a ac30 is just plain wrong...
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I think I'll check out the F series.

Btw, I'm aware of how attrocious Sound Control really is, unfortunately it's the only place locally where I can try a small range of amps out.

Then there's the fact that they pay a load of retarded metallica fanboys on commission. Great idea.
what type of tone do you want exactly? so far i've got that you want a recto tone, except not exactly, and you don't really play metal. that's quite confusing, to be honest. do you need the ability to get high gain ever? do you want a more american tone? etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you want recto tone, but you don't play metal? that's strange...

but...used Mark III's are kinda cheap, and they sound very close to the hugely expensive Mark IV's. look for one of those
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
If you want a Mesa then see if you can go used, or better yet, import an American used. I've seen American used F series amps go for about £300, plus maybe another £100 - 150 on shipping, they have fairly recto-esque distortion too and great cleans.
if literaly want a poor man's mesa, B52 was actually started by a former mesa engineer.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG