Right, I've just got me a tube amp and need some advice regarding over drive or distortion pedals.

The amp is a Granger GA5 (identical to Epi Valve Junior).

To get me into hard rock / metal territory should I look to use a distortion or overdrive pedal?

Any recommendations for good ones????
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
if you have a tube amp, you are not going to buy a distortion pedal. look at overdrive pedals such as tubescreamers, digitech's bad monkey, and basically anything that says overdrive not distortion.
rock / metal most likely means rock and metalcore so I suggest the Jekyll & Hyde by Visual sound. it doesn't have a crazy high gain that everyone wants for death/thrash/crossover/etc but its a pretty solid pedal.
Quote by xmercyme21x
if you have a tube amp, you are not going to buy a distortion pedal. look at overdrive pedals such as tubescreamers, digitech's bad monkey, and basically anything that says overdrive not distortion.

An overdrive isn't goint to boost the amp in to really 'heavy' metal distortion. He'd be better off with an overdrive.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Personally, I'd say a distortion pedal. Overdrive sucks.

I'd say metal muff or black coffee metal distortion.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Cheers......So I need OD i need, not dist......Bad Monkey seems well priced....

What pedal would I need to look at for crazy high gain?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
An overdrive isn't goint to boost the amp in to really 'heavy' metal distortion. He'd be better off with an overdrive.

A high gain OD would do. I don't think a distortion is really that good with already overdriven amps.

EDIT: MI Audio Tube Zone
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
if you have a quality tube amp why would you use a crappy distortion pedal? if you are going to use a pedal then mine as well buy a crappy amp. a ncie tube amp with a nice overdrive pedal will beat a distortion pedal anyday.
Quote by Seth Shadows
Personally, I'd say a distortion pedal. Overdrive sucks.

I'd say metal muff or black coffee metal distortion.

err... what ?

do you know that distortion is overdrive with harsher clipping ?
Quote by splat102
A high gain OD would do. I don't think a distortion is really that good with already overdriven amps.

It'll do fine with cleans though. Plus, adding too much gain when you boost the amp just makes it sound all fuzzy and you end up loosing some definition. At least, that's what I've noticed.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I forgot to mention it is not a standard GA5, it has been modded (standby, bias and gain switches have been added as well as a built in attenuator)

Sort of metal tones I'm after is early Metallica (Kill em all, ride the lightening etc.)
Last edited by fergus74 at Feb 22, 2008,
you need an overdrive pedal end of story. i would consider the bad monkey if you are on a budget and ibanez tubescreamers if you aren't. if you have a high budget i would look into maxon overdrive pedals.
I'm on a tight budget right now as I've just spent all my cash on the amp so i'll probably look out for a used bad monkey.

But as soon as I sell my old amp i'll be after a high-end pedal.....
Quote by The red Strat.
err... what ?

do you know that distortion is overdrive with harsher clipping ?

Yes.

Never-the-less, Distortion + Treble = <3
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
the bad monkey is a decent pedal especially for the price. you really cant go wrong especially if you haven't found your tone yet and are still figuring out what sounds you like.
Quote by Seth Shadows
Yes.

Never-the-less, Distortion + Treble = <3

then why the hell do you think OD 'sucks' ?

... to each his own i guess.
...or a Guyatone Metal Monster
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by fergus74
Cheers......So I need OD i need, not dist......Bad Monkey seems well priced....

What pedal would I need to look at for crazy high gain?

I have the Bad Monkey and I can tell you right now that thing kicks some serious ass for the price. As far as crazy high gain, you may either want to look into a boss Metal Core or Metal Zone. You may even want to look into a fuzz pedal like EHX's Metal Muff or Ibanez's fuzz pedal which is surpriseingly good, but its mainly for metal so expect a little bit of a muddied tone.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
whoa'...

Didn't realise how much some of these pedals cost, many are as much as my damn amp!!!
I've got my amp, but still not decided on a pedal.....

Bad Monkey is top of the list...

My amp is very dark sounding at the moment, would the EQ controls on pedal be enough to cut some bass out and add some mids?

Also looking at a metal muff....Anyone used that with a VJ?