how much does the quality and type of wood affect the tone of a guitar??
because im looking at buying a knockoff generic MIJ strat, which has a great feel, but i think its made of maple. im wanting to get some nice pickups and finally get me a decent strat and then get a nice amp.
would better pickups be more important than the wood, becaus eive played mexican strats i didnt like.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Maple is a good wood tonally, kinda bright.

Your amp is more important than anything else.
well, ive got a vintage fender silverface, and a vox valvetronix, which hopefully will soon be replaced with a traynor or marshall tube combo.

but will it be hard to get all the classic strat tones like SRV/hendrix etc. with a maple strat??
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
well, ive got a vintage fender silverface, and a vox valvetronix, which hopefully will soon be replaced with a traynor or marshall tube combo.

but will it be hard to get all the classic strat tones like SRV/hendrix etc. with a maple strat??

Dude, Most if not all of Hendrix's Stratocasters had Maple fingerboards
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The wood will make alot of difference if your playing acoustically or clean, but if you're going to play with lots of gain it won't make that much difference. You can eq your amp around the tone of your wood anyways.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Dude, Most if not all of Hendrix's Stratocasters had Maple fingerboards

no, i mean maple everything, like neck, fretboard, and body.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
how much does the quality and type of wood affect the tone of a guitar??
because im looking at buying a knockoff generic MIJ strat, which has a great feel, but i think its made of maple. im wanting to get some nice pickups and finally get me a decent strat and then get a nice amp.
would better pickups be more important than the wood, becaus eive played mexican strats i didnt like.

The neck is maple or the body? A maple body will be pretty bright, Strats are usually made out of Alder which is midle of the road type of wood in terms of tone. Maple is a very hard and dense wood so you'll get a very bright sound. If its a maple neck then thats normal for a Strat. Wood is important, thats where the base of your tone will come from I believe. That doesn't mean just because you get AAAA wood that it will sound awesome, nor would a normal slab of wood sound bad.

Its all based on what tone you're going for and how the guitar sounds and feels to you when you play it. Pickups are important in shaping the final sound of your tone on that particular guitar but it won't make a dramatic difference as some people believe. I look at pickups more along the lines of how I want the notes to ring out, how much high end and low end I want in my sound, how much output and if I'm going for a nice clean sound or an overdriven etc.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I'd say you should always buy a guitar with better, more suitable body wood, rather than just whatever comes stock with the nicest pickups or tuners or whatever.

Tuners, pickups, nuts, bridges, pots, finish, pickguards, these things can all be changed/added/taken off. You can't change what wood a guitar is made of though. It is always, always better to get a guitar with poorer hardware but good body wood, instead of a guitar with great hardware but cheaper wood in the body.