alright so ive got ideas underway for a bass im building soon and someone suggested that i make it headless

what im wondering is would i just put some sort of string holder behind the nut on the neck?

and then mill out a cavity at the back bottom for some tuners? or would that not work at all?

and what kind of bridge-like thing would i use?
Are you going to start a new thread for every tiny thought you have? Seriously.

Study a Steinberger.
Quote by smb
Are you going to start a new thread for every tiny thought you have? Seriously.

Study a Steinberger.

i have studied a steinberger but that doesnt tell me much because i dont know where to find a steinberger bridge...

so i have to do more of a custom idea

Quote by timzee117

yeah, almost exactly like that, but i meant more of putting the tuners at the tail end and milling a cavity so they'll fit...

so would a 2nd nut on the body work instead of putting a bridge in? cuz it looks like thats what they did
check allparts they have a steinberger style bridge kit
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
yeah i checked all parts and its far too expensive, so i think im just gonna use the tuners in the tail idea

i just need to know do i need a bridge? or would a 2nd nut work?
Quote by Paperback Hero

Apply some common sense here...please! What can you normally adjust at the bridge?
Quote by Paperback Hero
yeah i checked all parts and its far too expensive, so i think im just gonna use the tuners in the tail idea

Just use something like a bass tune-o-matic (possibly THIS one-$20?) and then have the strings go to the tuners
thanks =]

that will work

Quote by smb
Apply some common sense here...please! What can you normally adjust at the bridge?

as for that, why do you have to be such an ass about everything?

what have i done to you? honestly...

the reason i asked is that someone posted a travel guitar without a bridge and a 2nd nut in its place, so while it makes sense to have a bridge i was simply asking due to what ive seen

if you're gonna be rude, and be hateful with every post then i dont want your input...
If you don't want me in your thread suit yourself but it won't help you to have people like me just tell you what to do. I'm encouraging you to look at what you're doing critically and evaluate for yourself why things are done the way they are with instruments and perhaps have a few interesting ideas of your own. If you'd rather just have simple answers then I won't bother.
Quote by smb
If you don't want me in your thread suit yourself but it won't help you to have people like me just tell you what to do. I'm encouraging you to look at what you're doing critically and evaluate for yourself why things are done the way they are with instruments and perhaps have a few interesting ideas of your own. If you'd rather just have simple answers then I won't bother.

its not that you're encouraging me to do things for myself its that you're borderline insulting me, your responses have been helpful in a sense, yes, but dont be so harsh man, im posting in this forum cuz i need help because i dont know what to do about some things, not everyone is an expert luthier
Quote by Paperback Hero
its not that you're encouraging me to do things for myself its that you're borderline insulting me, your responses have been helpful in a sense, yes, but dont be so harsh man, im posting in this forum cuz i need help because i dont know what to do about some things, not everyone is an expert luthier

smb isn't a master luthier either. He's trying to help you become self sufficient as a person, so you don't have to go around asking for help.

For example, if you'd thought for a second, you would have realised that a bridge is a good idea for adjustment of intonation and action.

So a second bridge is a bad idea.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
does anyone know if they have a 5 string bass tuneomatic bridge? because im having a time from hell trying to find one or something similar
^Where was smb an ass to you?

Well, since you mentioned a "second nut" before- no, the travel guitar doesn't have a second nut where the bridge would normally be. It has one at the ass-end, and an acoustic-style bridge.

As for your request: Here's a fully adjustable 5-string bridge... Sure, it's not a TOM, but it's got holes in the back that you can feed the strings through so you can wrap them around to where the tuners are gonna go, like most other bridges. In fact, any toploaded 5-string bridge will work as long as it's short enough to be practical fro your design. Snoop around.

Advice: Think long and hard about where to position your tuners, and at which angle. You don't want to put them somewhere that'll compromise the structural integrity of the wood, and yuo don't want them poking out the back where your thigh will inevitably brush against them and throw you way out of tune whenever you move.
a steinberger bass bridge would ebay for 50-200 bucks. The model that allows the low string to drop with a flip of a switch would be closer to the 200 dollar mark. the headpiece goes for around 20-50 bucks. the best way to build a custom headless bass is to buy a cheap spirit/hohner or steinberger rip-off bass and gut it for parts.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
yes they use double ball end strings if i remember correctly. cephalidhunter is right though, the cheapest option would probably be ebay a cheap as **** steinberger rip off and gut it for the parts you need
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
musicyo.com has steinberger **** cheap
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by skater dan0
yes they use double ball end strings if i remember correctly. cephalidhunter is right though, the cheapest option would probably be ebay a cheap as **** steinberger rip off and gut it for the parts you need

Just asking. How would you string the bass with 2 ball ends?
^There's a nook in the tailpiece tuner for each string's ball end to hook into, so you just hook one end into the headpiece and then pull the string towards the tailpiece and drop the ballpiece at the other end into the nook.

The main advantages to this are that there'll be absolutely no string slippage, and it's easier to make sure you don't twist the string.
Quote by CephalidHunter
a steinberger bass bridge would ebay for 50-200 bucks. The model that allows the low string to drop with a flip of a switch would be closer to the 200 dollar mark. the headpiece goes for around 20-50 bucks. the best way to build a custom headless bass is to buy a cheap spirit/hohner or steinberger rip-off bass and gut it for parts.

+1. This was exactly what I did for my first guitar project - a headless based on the Klein electric guitar. I picked up a low end Musicyo Steinberger and made use of its neck, bridge and headpiece.

But if you're inventive, you can always come up with your own headless tuning solution. Here are a few articles that may give you some ideas:

A DIY Headless Guitar Tuning System

Make Your Own Headless Guitar Tuners!

The Design of An Ergonomic Bass Guitar

Regards,

Robert
Last edited by ririzarry at Mar 30, 2009,
Quote by Paperback Hero
^
thanks...but ive solved my problem

instead of buying a special bridge and headpiece, im making my own =]

That's great. What will you base it on?

Regards,

Robert
its gonna be a mix between a tuneomatic and a fender style(idk a specific name)

but im making it in machine shop out of steel and ill post pictures when im done