Hey everyone,
I've been thinking about buying a good shredding guitar (more for solos, proggresions and riffs than a rythmic background playing).

So I need a "flying bridge", 24 frets, good pickups and presize sound.

I've been thinking about Ibanez RG2620, as it has a very good opinions about it's playability and sound, but I'm also thinking about something else from Ibanez.

Could you give me some help here?
The price range is up to $2500.
Apart from the conditions above It would be good if this guitars were looking acceptable for a normal human's eye. (That seems to outclude all the BC Riches:P).
perhaps a jackson say a rhoads v, or a kelley
also maybe something esp i dunno
best bet is to go to your local shop or guitar center and start pulling guitars down and see what u find
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
VivaLaJam==> But they are all 22 frets :/.

Blacklp
==> The problem is that in my country the company that provides all music shops with Ibanez is considered to be a total ****t.
50% of sellers have resigned from selling Ibanez at all, because of interton which provides these guitars in Poland.

That's why I cant check them all out .
When the time comes I will buy this guitar in Germany, because you pay here literaly 2 times as much as in USA or any other country.
Last edited by Shadowy at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Shadowy
But they are all 22 frets :/.

Not all Jacksons are 22 frets. The RR24 has 24.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Teh GIR==> I know about JEMs but man, they look so gayish to me...
Especially the model you've linked is a typical guitar for women.

H4T3BR33D3R==> I dont like V-explorers. Nah..to be honest I hate that shape :p.
Well if i were you go to the s*** store and play a guitar you like an then buy it on musiciansfriend.com because thats what we do in america. Lol guitar center SUCKS! anyway i agree with blacklp, ESP is a great company and i personaly dont care for ibanez to much so there you go just my. 2 cents
I cant play on the guitar that doesnt egsist in any shop in my city.
Ibanez has a horrible distributor, which cuts them off from any new guitars.
ESP and Jackson simply doesnt egsist in this country. (Same as a lot other companies not nessesarily related to guitars.

BTW: Will the musiciansfriend.com deliver the ordered guitar to Poland?
i dint even think about it good call lol. sorry bout that but the general ideas the same and JackalUK got you 2 sites so there ya go. As to the not being able to play it... i dont know... is there a country nearby with a better selection and just take a day trip or something to a store?
Quote by Magre1441
Well if i were you go to the s*** store and play a guitar you like an then buy it on musiciansfriend.com because thats what we do in america. Lol guitar center SUCKS! anyway i agree with blacklp, ESP is a great company and i personaly dont care for ibanez to much so there you go just my. 2 cents

Doesn't Guitar Center own Musicians Friend?
Germany I suppose.
They have lots of cheap Ibanez guitars there, but before such a trip I'd have to make sure about the shops and their magazines.
(My german language is also not "that" great).

I could also get Ibanez from a wholesale for even lover price than from german shop but I'd have to be sure what I want to take as I dont think I could check it in this wholesale before buying.

So how about this Ibanez stuff?
Anything better than RG2620?
Quote by Chiller2
Doesn't Guitar Center own Musicians Friend?

REALLY? didnt know that but i dont care because musicians friend is awesome and guitar center sucks. A corporation equal shopping experiences does not make. Although in fairness you need both stores so it is kinda nice that theyre owned by the same Corp.
Quote by Magre1441
REALLY? didnt know that but i dont care because musicians friend is awesome and guitar center sucks. A corporation equal shopping experiences does not make. Although in fairness you need both stores so it is kinda nice that theyre owned by the same Corp.

Lol, musicians friends customer service record is appaling though.
An RG2550Z or a S2170 would also be good options for you, if you're going the Ibanez route, and they're well within your budget.

What kind of amp do you have? You could also possibly go with an amp upgrade and still be within $2500.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I advise staying away from Licensed Floyd Rose trems and the budget Ibanez trems. They just don't hold up under heavy use.
Here's an opinion link if you are interested:
http://lawl.net/gtr/trems
Amp? I've got Roland Cube 60: plenty of multieffects and a loud output aswell.
The S series is as I've heard not that much for shred (metal).
What does JEM series stand for?
Who is it for?

I'd like to have a shredding guitar (mostly instrumental stuff: Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen and bands with good instrumental part) and I'd like to have the ability to play some rock aswell.
Do you get it? I dont want it to be that full-shred-ultra metal guitar.
I want to have some free space to play something else too after switching beetween pickup's positions.
I dont mind changing the pickups into something else if that's needed. (RG2620 requires this as I've heard).
As I'm selling my fender I wish to keep some of this "magical feeling" with me in another guitar.

Which series should I focus than on?
S, RG or this mysterious JEM one?
^The JEM is Steve Vai's signature guitar. They're nice, but overpriced. The S series has a mahogany body, so it's better for anything heavy, but only has 22 frets. I say go for an RG, as long as it has the Edge Pro bridge and not the Edge III.
For that kind of money you might want to try a custom Carvin guitar but I don't know if the will ship to your country.You can custom design your own guitar.Carvin Guitars
But RG1570 is too versatile for me xD.
I wanted to have a maximum versatility with Fender stratocaster HSS and eventually I got nothing from it.
It is not above average in any genre :/.
As a result I bought a guitar which isn't specified to any music type.
Even though I can play everything on it, this "everything" doesn't sound in the way I'd like to hear it.
It's not a 3SC Strat, so I have not Iron Maiden sound, and 1H is not strong enough to make a metal sound exact and powerful.

I don't want to repeat the same thing with Ibanez.

And how the things go with Ibanez RG3520Z?
Last edited by Shadowy at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Shadowy
But RG1570 is too versatile for me xD.

You can't have a TOO versatile guitar... and when does that become a bad thing?!

Quote by Shadowy
It's not a 3SC Strat, so I have not Iron Maiden sound, and 1H is not strong enough to make a metal sound exact and powerful.

Change the pickups on your Strat or get a new amp? Amps can change your tone drastically.

Quote by Shadowy
I don't want to repeat the same thing with Ibanez.

And how the things go with Ibanez RG3520Z?

Just change the pickups to suit the music style you intend to play with your Ibanez.

Regarding the Ibanez RG3520Z, it's one of Ibanez's high end guitars. Trem is supposed to be top notch although not many people have tried it out, since it is a new '08 trem. But the premises sounds pretty good. Pickup wise, the Dimarzio / IBZ pickups are pretty good but most people change them out anyway. They actually sound decent but some people believe they are nowhere near as good as regular Dimarzios. Regarding body woods, pretty standard set up so no worries here. I'd say this guitar would be excellent for metal / shred music.

Also, check out RAN guitars, custom made in Poland!
Then i guess problem is either in your pickups or your amp. Pickups are making a great difference - if you put some high output humbucker instead of stock one, you'll be able to get as heavy as you want. Same aplies to singles. And roland cube is a good amp, but it doesnt exactly have the guts of lets say, mesa. As for guitar, I reccoment anything Ibanez prestige series, especially rg 1570. I have one and is a great guitar. you must switch pckups to get it shine, but ewerything else is exeptional. And you would stil have enough money to get a great amp

Edit: damn, mwoit said ewerything i did, but better
Last edited by Cobe at Feb 23, 2008,
It seems as if it would be more economical for Ibanez to sell "empty" guitars without pickups so everyone could buy EMGs and save up quite a lot of cash.
Everywhere I've been looking Ibanez reviews everyone mentions to replace pickups...

If I will have to replace "pup"s in both RG2620 and 2550Z, than the only difference is about the playability I guess.
Am I right?

The 2550 has got tons of opinions, while RG2620 has got only a few, but it's great playability is being mentioned in every opinion.
I'd prefer also the 2620's layout.
(BTW: Why most of the non-Fenderish guitars look so ugly? Jacksons, ESPs, BC Riches and a lot of Ibanez stuff?)

Regarding the amp: He can provide lots of power and maaaaany very good quality effects, so I suppose that Seymour Duncan pick ups are the reason of it.
The main difference is that I bought this guitar in my country for the price you pay for RG2620 + $100 so I expected it to be high-end or at least vary good quality guitar.
It turned up to have ****ty keys, tune-loosing bridge and not that good picups.

Literaly the guitars you buy in USA online shops cost 50% less than polish ones.
So eventually I bought a really average guitar and didnt even know about it.

As I will drive to Germany to buy this Ibanez I must have 2 options to choose from: I leave for sure RG2620 and 2550Z/S2170FW probably or maybe even one more to comparison.
But before that I need to get your opinions so that I could order it without playing if something goes wrong. (And something ALWAYS goes wrong to me for some reason :/).

So to sum up: shredding guitar, good looking, for metal,solos,rock, Vai, Satch and instrumental metal up to $2500, easy to sweep, tap and play whammy bars.
Does anything else fit here apart from the ones mentioned above?
Quote by Shadowy
1. It seems as if it would be more economical for Ibanez to sell "empty" guitars without pickups so everyone could buy EMGs and save up quite a lot of cash.
Everywhere I've been looking Ibanez reviews everyone mentions to replace pickups...

2. If I will have to replace "pup"s in both RG2620 and 2550Z, than the only difference is about the playability I guess.
Am I right?

1. No, not really. The pickups in Ibanez prestige guitars (maybe not the V and S series) are actually decent and made in the Dimarzio factory. People just think because they have IBZ on the logo, that they are crap. I advise just trying it out yourself, they are decent pickups! Some people keep the pickups in because they like the sound of them.

2. Not exactly; the trems are completely different (Edge Pro and Edge Zero respectively) and I believe the RG2550Z has HSH pickup configuration. Both guitars I think will play quite similarly but I haven't A/B'ed them before.
And which bridge is better?
http://lawl.net/gtr/trems seems to not have these trems here.

RG2550Z seems to be a safer choice but I think that RG2620 is a new model which didnt have enough time to gather enough owners.

Oh..and is Ibanez S2170FW S good at shredding in the same level as RGs are?
Ale wybredny jestes...

Music shops in Poland aren't that bad. The few I went to didn't really have any brand name guitars, just ones made by local luthiers or companies that make companies. That doesn't mean they're bad though. Depending on where you live the shops will have more or less guitars as well.

Shipping to Poland is going to scare away a lot of people as well. People from Poland often try to screw over the people they buy from. They send fake checks etc., and generally have a bad reputation for being impolite and arrogant when talking to the people they buy from.

The pickups in Ibanezs are pretty decent usually, at least from my experience. Most aren't great, but then again, few guitars come with mind blowing stock pickups.

The idea to order a custom from RAN is a good idea as well. They can make you exactly what you're looking for, and since you have a pretty big budget, you should be able to get a great guitar.
Quote by Shadowy
And which bridge is better?
http://lawl.net/gtr/trems seems to not have these trems here.

RG2550Z seems to be a safer choice but I think that RG2620 is a new model which didnt have enough time to gather enough owners.

Oh..and is Ibanez S2170FW S good at shredding in the same level as RGs are?

Actually, the RG2550Z is a new '08 guitar. That's why the Edge Zero isn't listed in that list of trems. The Ibanez 2620's trem, the Edge Pro, is listed in that page though and it is an excellent trem.

As for the Ibanez S2170FW, I wouldn't recommend it since it is Korean made as opposed to the RG's Japanese craftmanship. However, if you can wait for the new Ibanez S Japanese guitars, that would be far superior to the S2170.
ketiov==> Tu nie chodzi tylko o dostepnosc.
I suppose that paying 1200zl ($500) more for a guitar is "a bit" silly if you can get to Germany in about 2-3 hours and buy it saving these 500 bugs.
When it comes customs I don't think I would handle to precise the type of tree, the right pickups, type of neck and everything else.
Custom is not a way for me yet.

Mwoit==> I will skips S series than. (I can't find 2620 on Ibanez site. Why?)
As I've been searching youtube for some 2550 and 2620 movies I found a few 2550 ones and they don't sound exceptional.
Furthermore I've found this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFrWNSN669s&feature=related
Do you think that he's playing on basicly included Di-Marzio's or is he likely to have replaced them with something else?
(His tapping worries me a bit: the sound wasnt clear enough, but that could be technician-man's fault I assume).
Last edited by Shadowy at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by Shadowy
Mwoit==> I will skips S series than. (I can't find 2620 on Ibanez site. Why?)
As I've been searching youtube for some 2550 and 2620 movies I found a few 2550 ones and they don't sound exceptional.
Furthermore I've found this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFrWNSN669s&feature=related
Do you think that he's playing on basicly included Di-Marzio's or is he likely to have replaced them with something else?
(His tapping worries me a bit: the sound wasnt clear enough, but that could be technician-man's fault I assume).

I think the Ibanez RG2620 is discontinued or it is an '07 model only. However, you can still find the specs on Zzounds.com or something, just check google.

Personally, I would not depend on videos on youtube to figure out the tone as the warmth and tube feeling isn't in the video, it's something you hear in person when playing the amp. Also, the microphones in the cameras people use don't tend to be high quality, resulting in a crap replication of the actual tone. Remember, amp and your actual playing makes up the majority of your tone, not the guitar. I would get a decent amp first if I wanted to get certain tones then do pickups in the end as a sort of fine tune.

EDIT: I think the guy in the vid has Dimarzio / IBZs. I think.
Last edited by Mwoit at Feb 23, 2008,
That worries me a bit.
Why is it no longer on stock?
They are still available in many internet shops, but I'd like to read some technical info. (Like with 2550Z).
I know obviously that youtubers use crappy microphones but how about that proffessionaly recorded performance?
Were these standard DiMarzios or something else made that sound?
(Before replacing amp or pickups I have to buy one of them (RGs) first).

EDIT: So I will have to compare them anyway...
(I got used to 2620 though :P)
Last edited by Shadowy at Feb 23, 2008,