Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

Been lurking for a good time now and finally decided to register yesterday. This place kicks ass - a wealth of information and very knowledgeable members!

Anywho... I just won the bid on a block letter 5150 head on ebay yesterday *tries to hide immense excitement* for USD $616. I feel pretty damn good about that price too. I was going to go the Randall RH150G3 route before I started sifting through the threads around here. But then I started thinking... why spend half the money on something I'll like 1/4 as much in years ahead. Yes you, UG, are responsible for me making the best decision I could have made.

To the chase:

1) I'll have to buy two volume knobs for the 5150. A quick google search fetched me Vibroworld , but I just thought I'd ask the masses if they know of any great used Peavey parts stores.

2) I have the head - now I need the cab. I'm about to pull the trigger on an Avatar 412 w/ V30's, but I just wanted to make double sure before dropping USD $400. Is this the best route to go for a 412 cab? Also, Avatar's G412 special cabs have the option of using G12H30's or Greenbacks or a mix of V30's and G12H30's. What would the best option be for a death/speed metal guitarist such as myself. I'm assuming the V30's...

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions and post updates once I get the 5150 in the mail, so stay tuned.

Any help is much appreciated! \m/ (-_-) \m/

The Faded Line
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
...sounds right to me man!

welcome to UG!

I cant think of another place but Vibroworld =\
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
that cab should kick ass! the V30's are amazing speakers.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
i like the sound of marshall cabs with 5150's. the 1960 ones
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by ross1234
i like the sound of marshall cabs with 5150's. the 1960 ones

Yeah, I had thought about the 1960A or B, but just figured I could save money, get a new cab instead of used, and get new speakers to boot...

Gear

you cant go wrong with a 400 dollar cab with v30s in it. avatar makes quality stuff. for your metal sound i would stick with v30s and i like the sound of 412 cabs more than 212 sounds fuller with more low end to me.
Congrats, man. You now have the power to destroy most of civilization. Use it wisely.
Id replace the existing tubes unless you know they are pretty new too when you get your head. Also, what uldhppi said ^^.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
TS, a billions points for reading the forums before posting in them. I wish everyone did that.

Congrats on a great buy! Was that with shipping?
Thanks all for input. I'll have to check into the tubes. The seller said they still had some life in them, but I'll have to check them out first.

Does anyone suggest getting a noise gate w/ the 5150? I've thought about it a number of times, but some of the stuff we do in our band includes slow fading amp feedback and pinched harmonics. I don't want to drop $120 on a noise gate if it is going to screw with my subtelties...

Gear

Quote by the.spine.surfs
TS, a billions points for reading the forums before posting in them. I wish everyone did that.

Congrats on a great buy! Was that with shipping?

LOL - I also hate people who do that...

The S&H was USD $55, which was a bit steep, but what do ya do..?? I'm just stoked I got the damn thing for $616!

Gear

If youre not gonna be playing in stadiums id suggest looking at an orange or marshall 2x12 combo, it will still be PLENTY loud.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by The Faded Line
LOL - I also hate people who do that...

The S&H was USD $55, which was a bit steep, but what do ya do..?? I'm just stoked I got the damn thing for $616!

Bah, that's a fair shipping price for something large and heavy like that. I usually stick to Craigslist to avoid shipping cost, but the selection on Ebay is generally better.

Decide on new tubes yet?

Edit: I just noticed the cab discussion...save $100, and go with a Avatar 2x12" or Vader 2x12". The weight, cost, and akwardness of a 4x12" is probably not worth the extra notch of bass response, but I suppose it's taste.
considered a 212 cab?

apparently you get the decent bass response in a smaller cheaper unit. not that im an exert tho
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Congrats on your purchase! I would get a noise gate. I recommend the ISP Decimator. You can dial in the cutoff, so you can have it wide open, and it will be the same as off, or you can dial it up and cut off the noise. Once you find your setting, you can tailor it to your liking.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Teh GIR
If youre not gonna be playing in stadiums id suggest looking at an orange or marshall 2x12 combo, it will still be PLENTY loud.

I mulled this over for many days, but decided to go the head/cab route. Our other guitarist has a half stack (I know it's no reason to get one, but se la vie...) so I had to keep up with the Jones'

Gear

Quote by The Faded Line
so I had to keep up with the Jones'

A Vader 2x12" will rip the Jones' heads off, and you don't need to get 2 other guys to help you carry it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Bah, that's a fair shipping price for something large and heavy like that. I usually stick to Craigslist to avoid shipping cost, but the selection on Ebay is generally better.

Decide on new tubes yet?

Edit: I just noticed the cab discussion...save $100, and go with a Avatar 2x12" or Vader 2x12". The weight, cost, and akwardness of a 4x12" is probably not worth the extra notch of bass response, but I suppose it's taste.

Yeah, Craig didn't have anything of note in my area...

Tubes - I'll leave that for another day. I've got to try out what it has in it now, then I'll decide on tube type and/or biasing. Luckily I'm smart enough to not start a new thread asking about those either!

About the 212 idea... I've also mulled this over. We'll be mic'd 99.24% of the time, so I won't really need the 412 to move the air. However, my line of reasoning is that a 412 is the end all of all cabs. If I were to get a 212 for USD $300 and (at some point down the road) decide I needed more oomph(?), I'd have to drop another $300. If I go the $400 412 route, I'm safe.

Gear

Quote by the.spine.surfs
A Vader 2x12" will rip the Jones' heads off

LOL. Definitely worth considering...

Gear

Quote by the.spine.surfs
A Vader 2x12" will rip the Jones' heads off, and you don't need to get 2 other guys to help you carry it.

+1
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Alright. The Vader 212 is $400 - the same price as the Avatar 412. The Vader uses 2 Eminence Legends, each at 120W, while the Ava uses 4 V30's, each at 60W. The Vader cab handles loads of 4, 8, and 16 ohms (just like the 5150), while the V30's take 8 ohm only.

So, it's obvious that both can handle as much ball-shattering wattage as I care to push with the 5150.

Next question: Which cab has more versatility (as far as playing style is concerned)? If I decide I want to try some clean tone **** in the future, which would perform better?

Gear

I had a cab with Eminence Ledgends, they're very nice speakers. Origional V30's are a metal staple, but usually not reccomended outside of that.
I've heard great things about Avatar cabs. Not sure about the speakers though. Most people use V30's....they're pretty much a standard.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Hmmm... what to do, what to do.

Unfortunately I have no where in town to try either of them. Another consideration is that my band's other guitarist has a half stack w/ a 412, so aesthetically (and perhaps even tonally) a 412 for me would "balance" things out...

Gear

Quote by The Faded Line
so aesthetically (and perhaps even tonally) a 412 for me would "balance" things out...

Two guitars in one band with similar setups will be hard to distinguish sometimes, both for your band and for the audiance. And I've yet to see a non-pro band who could afford to care about their gear matching their bandmates gear.
^i would get a 412 because you could already get a beefy ****ing sound. Having a 15 i think would maybe end up getting muddy IMO.

I would stick with a 412.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I suppose another option for me would be to go with a Avatar 212 w/ V30's. I could get that for USD $100 cheaper than either the 412 or Vader. However, the Ava 212 would only have a max rating of 120W, which is the same as my 5150. That would mean that at exceptional volumes, I'd be making those V30's work pretty damn hard.

Damn decisions!!

EDIT: Another consideration I just remembered which makes me lean back towards the Vader...about 3/4 of our songs are down in standard (not drop) C tuning and the rest are in standard E. If I get the Vader, I'd have better bass response down low and also have ample headroom for clean channels. I'm going to guess that the Eminence are a little less "middy and squeally" than the V30's...

Gear

Last edited by The Faded Line at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by guitarbite.fire
Get a 412 then save for a 212?

Why?

Pushing speakers hard is a good thing. Hendrix got some of his better tones by cranking 100 watt Marshalls into 100 watt cabs.
EVH would sue you for saying "5150 = mine", since he owns the name, XD !!!

But yes, go for a vader. I don't like Vintage 30's for the 5150, they make it sounds very harsh, becase of the V30's mid bump and extra fizz that I notice, as opposed to other speakers, like the Legends.

I'd say the legends are more versatile, they have a more neutral frequency response, and are just as loud as the v30's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Good **** man, if you're gunna go for a 212 for death metal, the vader is the one. No doubt about it wth a 5150. IMO it'd be worth it rather than the Avatar cab. I use 65 watt celestions in my cab and it works great for me because of the power and low end response, just my head needs to be replaced for tone reasons . But I'd have to say Vader all the way.
Quote by The Faded Line
Yeah, Craig didn't have anything of note in my area...

Tubes - I'll leave that for another day. I've got to try out what it has in it now, then I'll decide on tube type and/or biasing. Luckily I'm smart enough to not start a new thread asking about those either!

About the 212 idea... I've also mulled this over. We'll be mic'd 99.24% of the time, so I won't really need the 412 to move the air. However, my line of reasoning is that a 412 is the end all of all cabs. If I were to get a 212 for USD $300 and (at some point down the road) decide I needed more oomph(?), I'd have to drop another $300. If I go the $400 412 route, I'm safe.

A 212 with a 5150 behind it is going to be earth shatteringly loud anyway, a 412 would really be way to loud to be usable, and if you're miced up then it's really unnecesary; it'd just be for show and you could probably get more out of the amp with 2 speakers than having 4 of them all blaring

One idea could be if you want more spread of sound is to buy 2 212's and place them around the stage, instead of the 412 in one place
And remember that each cab has it's own unique voicing of the sound with how the speakers react to the dimensions of chamber
Last edited by philipisabeast at Feb 22, 2008,
UPDATE:

The Faded Line has purchased the 212 Vader cab! Thanks to you all for the infinite wisdom and input

Now, at last, I can kill people softly with my song. And by softly, I of course mean harshly and without mercy.

When the 5150 and Vader finally arrive, I'll post pics and a tone vid (once I've dialed it in).

Thanks again UG!

Now... about that noise gate... I'll see if it is really necessary once it all arrives, but I'm thinking I'll probably need to spring for one.

Gear

Welcome to UG!
Speed/thrash metal?
Take a look no further...

YNGEDIT:
Haha I didn't read through the whole thread, but I just saw your post above after I posted this one
Good choice! Be sure to get sound clips up though!!!

ANOTHER YNGEDIT?!?!:
Quote by The Faded Line
Next question: Which cab has more versatility (as far as playing style is concerned)? If I decide I want to try some clean tone **** in the future, which would perform better?
If you think that, you shouldn't have got the 5150 :p
tbh if you want really nice cleans just wait until you really want them and get something nice like a Roland Jazz Chorus.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Feb 25, 2008,
I have a Peavey 6505+ and I am using a Vader 2x12 and it is excellent. They are pretty much the running mate with the Avatars. Also, I use a rackmount 15 band equalizer to round out the tone and get the highs where I want. I also here using a boost like a Maxon OD9 is good but I have not tryed that.
Quote by Yngwi3

ANOTHER YNGEDIT?!?!:
If you think that, you shouldn't have got the 5150 :p
tbh if you want really nice cleans just wait until you really want them and get something nice like a Roland Jazz Chorus.

Thanks for the welcome

And touche. I guess I'm not totally concerned with clean tones. i was just trying to play devil's advocate against myself. Looks like I failed

On another note, any of you Vader cab owners... how long did it take for the cab to arrive and how expedient were email replys? I'm getting ANTSY as hell and its only been 4 days! Don't...know...how...much...more...I...can...take!!

Gear

I've also thought about vader and id like to know how they sound with your 5150, TS.

Im thinking of a bugera/5150 or II in the near future, but id love to hear how the vader sounds first (with cleans too, though ive heard the bugeras have good cleans)

Trying a 6262 out today

Its just that id be pushing my budget getting a head, when vader 2x12s are $400. I may have to go with a combo but then again... eh idk.\

My band doesnt practice/gig enough to fully justify it, yet they want me to get a new amp (rightfully so when we do jam).
Great choice with the 2x12. Eminence legends walk all over V30's. V30's are just too mid-treble toned. V12's have a smooth tone all around with a load of flavor to it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i have a 5150 and a 1960b with the gl12-75 or whatever they are called. The 5150 is already mid heavy so i wouldnt go for v30s
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Why?

Pushing speakers hard is a good thing. Hendrix got some of his better tones by cranking 100 watt Marshalls into 100 watt cabs.

i disagree i hate the sound of speakers being pushed. Thats why i like 4x12's. More clarity.
Page 1 of 2