I started guitar about 2 weeks ago, picked up a Dean Evo XM and an old Laney Hardcore amp. For the most part I've just been finding tabs and playing them.
But I guess if I want to become good I've got to get some direction here, however I'm not too sure where to start. I don't really know all that much lol, so I guess I have to start from the start. So, where should I start?
I would learn some simple songs just to get accustomed to the instrument and look for a teacher if you can afford lessons.

What music are you into? Tell me some artists and I could reccomend some easy songs if you like.
You need to start with the very basics. Make sure you're holding the pick in a stable position. Make sure you are working on using all 4 fingers. Just making sure you don't pick up any bad habits.

Other then that there really isn't a defined way to start. Usually people will work on real simple songs, learn a little bit about music theory then work their way to chords.
scales and theory
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Just get as much info as you can, be a sponge.

Really learn the "Guitar and tab" terminology and learn how to apply it.

I started by getting books, DVD's and anything that had "Lessons" and went from there. Youtube is a good source, oh and be sure to have the music you want to play.

Gibson SG Classic
Laguna LE 422
Dean Razorback
Washburn LK60PS
Fender Bass
Ibanez Acoustoc/Electric
Marshall MG 15HFX Microstack
Line 6 Spider III Amp

Remeber...... Every where you go, there you are!
Oh, and there are five chords I would really reccomend you learn: C, E, A, D, and G (all major)

You'd be amazed at how many songs are comprised of these chords

Also, do you have any musical background?
Yeah youtube has tons of great lessons. Search for "Complete beginner Guitar"

That should get you started
Wow, that was pretty quick lol. Anyways, I used to play violin. I'm into alot of heavy/speed/death metal....in other words anything fast and heavy. So far, I've picked up so pretty quick picking, and ive already incorperated all 4 fingers into playing. I can do a little bit of hammer on and pull off, but thinks like muting, palm muting, and some other things are beyond me 0_o. But yea, Chords are something ive been defently avoiding. And I guess I should check out some scales too?
Quote by eds1275
Oh, and there are five chords I would really reccomend you learn: C, E, A, D, and G (all major)

You'd be amazed at how many songs are comprised of these chords

Also, do you have any musical background?

i'd learn E minor too...a common chord progession is Em, D, C, then repeat and so on..
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Definately get a set of books, DVD's or computer programs that have some sort of structured plan to work through. The Hal Leonard series is pretty good at teaching the basics with a very music theory oriented focus. Guitar for Dummies is good at teaching one to read tab and introducing the major playing styles. But generally most beginners start by learning the open chords, then scales.