Page 1 of 2
This may or may not interest anyone...it's kinda long so skip it if you're not into crazy number systems.

Something that has been somewhat of an interest of mine is numerology. I find it interesting that many things physical and spiritual or metaphysical can be expressed in numerical patterns. What I would like to discuss here are number systems that may mean something on a universal scale.

Probably the most famous of these is Phi, or the Golden Ratio. It is represented throughtout the natural universe, including within human anatomy.

The golden ratio or golden proportion can be found everywhere and as such has been called the “divine constant.” It is found, for example, in sea shells, butterfly wings, and water vortexes, as well in art such as DaVinci’s painting “The Last Supper.” The divine constant is also found within the pentagrams and pentagons of the Gaia Pentasphere. According to astrophysicist Mario Livio, “it is probably fair to say that the golden ratio (divine constant) has inspired thinkers of all disciplines like no other number in the history of mathematics."

Adolf Zeising, whose main interests were mathematics and philosophy, found the golden ratio expressed in the arrangement of branches along the stems of plants and of veins in leaves. He extended his research to the skeletons of animals and the branchings of their veins and nerves, to the proportions of chemical compounds and the geometry of crystals, even to the use of proportion in artistic endeavors. In these phenomena he saw the golden ratio operating as a universal law. Zeising wrote in 1854:

[The Golden Ratio is a universal law] in which is contained the ground-principle of all formative striving for beauty and completeness in the realms of both nature and art, and which permeates, as a paramount spiritual ideal, all structures, forms and proportions, whether cosmic or individual, organic or inorganic, acoustic or optical; which finds its fullest realization, however, in the human form

Basically, the golden ratio is said to be a universal factor for beauty. It appears not only naturally, such as in a conch shell (the golden spiral), but also in art and architecture.

However, there are also metaphysical beliefs surrounding Phi. It has a lot to do with sacred geometry and the Gaia Pentasphere. Tool incorporates a lot of metaphysical themes in their music and has dealt with number systems such as Phi or the Fibonacci Sequence.

Also, I was just reading the wiki article on the movie Pi, and started digging a little deeper into the 216 digit number found in the Torah (as talked about in the movie). It seems that it is actually referred to as Shemhamphorasch which is called the divided name. It also has a lot to do with the number 72, which is 216 divided by three.

216 is also 6 cubed so is representative of the mark of the beast.

The Shemhamphorasch is an epithet for a 72-letter name of God derived by medieval kabbalists from the book of Exodus, by reading the letters of three verses in a specific order. The name is composed of 72 groups of three letters, each of these triplets being the name of an angel or intelligence.

The number 72 is a number which appears to have mythical meaning across various cultures. It is unclear how much is influence or coincidence however. The number of disciples Jesus sent out has often been disputed as being 70 or 72 depending on the text and translation. It is also the number of degrees divided in a 360 degree circle divided by the pentagram or the number of 5 degree heavy ticks on a 360 degree circle.

Because 72 has many factors, it lends itself well to correspondence tables. Similar concepts of a divided circle for a variety of correspondences is seen in the Lo Pan, the compass used in Feng Shui in China.

In art the Shemhamphorasch can be seen on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo's fresco has an architectural design of 24 columns. On each of these columns are two cherubs, which are mirror imaged on the adjoining column totaling 48 cherubs figures. Then on the 12 triangular spandals flanking the ceiling borders are an additional 24 nude figures (two bronze nude figures per triangular spandal) also mirroring imaging each other. This totals to 72 cherub figures or the 72 angels of God or names of God.

Anyone else have any interest in number systems and how they appear in the universe?
My penis looks like a giant number 7. That's normal though right?
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Lol, you're a nerd.

The iPod is meant to work with the Golden Ratio, which is why it's so awesome.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
My penis looks like a giant number 7. That's normal though right?

Yea, it's normal. Mine looks somewhat like an 82 so I guess your fine.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
My phototeacher is obsessed with finding numbers and geometry in pictures (especially triangles).

I don't find it that interesting myself, but some things are.

edit: Like that savant guy who sees people and landscapes as numbers.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Lol, you're a nerd.

The iPod is meant to work with the Golden Ratio, which is why it's so awesome.

Hell yes I'm a nerd. Proud of it.

I hate all things Apple...just because.

Quote by Craigo
old.com

No shit

I think Phi was discovered 2,400 years ago in ancient Greece.
Quote by denizenz
Hell yes I'm a nerd. Proud of it.

I hate all things Apple...just because.

No shit

I think Phi was discovered 2,400 years ago in ancient Greece.

Guy watch out...you'll get them religious crazies in here saying the world hasn't been around for that long....
Quote by hamett91
Someone's been listening to Tool.

Quote by sock_demon
Fibonnaci numbers?

Here's the Fibonacci Sequence in Tool's Lateralus

Black | 1
Then | 1
White are | 2
All I See | 3
In my in*fan*cy | 5
Red and yell*ow then came to be | 8
reach*ing out to me | 5
Lets me see | 3

There is |2
So | 1
Much | 1
More and | 2
Beck*ons me | 3
To look through to these | 5
In*fin*ite poss*ib*il*it*ies | 8

As bel*ow, so ab*ove and bey*ond, I im*ag*ine | 13
Drawn out*side the lines of rea*son | 8
Push the En*vel*ope | 5
watch it bend | 3

Quote by Pat McRotch
Guy watch out...you'll get them religious crazies in here saying the world hasn't been around for that long....

It's ok. I am a religious crazy.
Quote by Pat McRotch

You don't spend enough time in the religion thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
triplets of nucleotide bases code for the amino acids in proteins for all living things.

You're going to need to repeat that...in English.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
Phi is one H of a lot cooler than Pi...

Yeah well pie is alot cooler than phi.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by denizenz

You're going to need to repeat that...in English.

There are four nulceotides- A,G,C,T- that code in DNA. A codon is made of three of these. Later on in DNA transcription, the codon is read, and a corresponding amino acid (building block of protein) is added. The next codon is read, a new amino acid is then added to the first one, and the first amino acid breaks off the first codon. These linked amino acids make a protein.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There are four nulceotides- A,G,C,T- that code in DNA. A codon is made of three of these. Later on in DNA transcription, the codon is read, and a corresponding amino acid (building block of protein) is added. The next codon is read, a new amino acid is then added to the first one, and the first amino acid breaks off the first codon. These linked amino acids make a protein.

Where's the numerology in it though?
Quote by freedoms_stain
triplets of nucleotide bases code for the amino acids in proteins for all living things.

where the hell did this come from?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Codons are triplets- as far as I'm aware, isn't the number 3 rather significant in religions?

And I never said it was significant You asked for it in English, so I tried to explain it to you

Thanks for the translation.

The number 3 is significant in a lot of things because it's a small prime. Small prime numbers show up in nearly everything which is why the number 23 is linked to so many conspiracy theories and superstitious nonsense.

I can't believe more people aren't into this.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
3 faces of the Christian God,
3 main Gods in Hinduism (The Creator, the something in the middle guy, The Destroyer)
3, the number of women I'd love to have in bed with me right now.
3, the number of galaxy types
3 also has a huge significane in geology

Very true. But see the origin of that number revealed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvtbkz5HY_o

(I know that this is darn old, no need to tell me )
Quote by Deliriumbassist
3 faces of the Christian God,
3 main Gods in Hinduism (The Creator, the something in the middle guy, The Destroyer)
3, the number of women I'd love to have in bed with me right now.
3, the number of galaxy types
3 also has a huge significane in geology

The second God is the one who looks after all beings. But then again, there are approx. 270 million 'Gods' in Hinduism.
this isn't necessarily numerology, but its freaky and it deals with numbers.

my dad's birthday is 8/8
my mom's birthday is 11/11
my birthday is 2/2

It is a sign of family.
Quote by djrue211
this isn't necessarily numerology, but its freaky and it deals with numbers.

my dad's birthday is 8/8
my mom's birthday is 11/11
my birthday is 2/2

It is a sign of family.

All but one of my family member's birthdays are a multiple of 7.

I was born on the 7th
My dad on the 14th
One sister on the 21st
Another on the 28th

My mom was born on the 4th so she's the only one who doesn't fit. Though 4 is half of seven rounded up...
How about the Buddhabrot? Its a part of the Mandelbrot set. I dont entirely understand it, but I know it's a set of points in the complex plane (ie imaginary numbers and such), which involves fractals.

Anyway, it forms a 4D object, and a particular view of this looks similar to Buddha, hence 'buddhabrot'.

Quote by umop-3p!sdn
Anyway, it forms a 4D object, and a particular view of this looks similar to Buddha, hence 'buddhabrot'.

Fancy explaining 4D objects to us (me)?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The 4th dimension is time isn't it?

Not necessarily (sp?), you can just "name it" time but it's easier to work to higher dimensions if you don't give them an immediate physical interpretation.
Quote by Ostinattos
Not necessarily (sp?), you can just "name it" time but it's easier to work to higher dimensions if you don't give them an immediate physical interpretation.

Well I'm no physicist, but I'm gonna correct myself, possibly... if I'm right. Would it be more accurate to liken the 4th dimension to a vector, incorporating direction and speed/time?
^Well , yes it's always better to work with vectors (they have some nice properties) this interpretation gives you diferent geometries to work with, for example special relativity
uses hyperbolic geometry.

If you're interested look for Lorentz group, hyperbolic geometry, and E8.
Quote by sock_demon
Fibonnaci numbers?

Okay. I've never heard of the Golden Ratio, but I knew about that whole spiral thing. Fibonacci numbers is something I understand.
Thank you, sock_demon.
pi is the the ratio between the circumference and diameter of a circle
Quote by denizenz

All but one of my family member's birthdays are a multiple of 7.

I was born on the 7th
My dad on the 14th
One sister on the 21st
Another on the 28th

My mom was born on the 4th so she's the only one who doesn't fit. Though 4 is half of seven rounded up...

Surely, she isn't your real mother...the numbers say it all.

Quote by loonyguitarist
Fancy explaining 4D objects to us (me)?

It's not the 4th Dimension in the sense you're thinking of; its the geometric 4th dimension. I think if you plot the points for the Mandelbrot set, the corrdinates are (x,y,0,0), but dont quote me on that...
Page 1 of 2