At the moment I've bought a Fender Standard Series Strat (Mexican) that has single coil pickups, and I was wondering whether I should replace them with this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SHR-1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup-300300-i1127440.gc

I have a HI WATT G15 8 amplifier running through a V-amp effects modulator.

Bearing in mind i'm using an effects modulator, and it's possible that my amp is not good (although i'm not sure) is it really worth the money, effort and time to replace the standard pick ups with better ones?

I really would like the best tonal qualities possible, and I know that the amplifier is a big part of that, but aren't pickups the second largest contributer to tonal quality?

Should I buy a new amp?
Last edited by Iced_Tea at Feb 23, 2008,
Different pickups have different sounds.

I don't know if you can just replace your single coils with those humbuckers, but you shouldn't have to replace all of your pickups.
Quote by Boz0r
Different pickups have different sounds.

I don't know if you can just replace your single coils with those humbuckers, but you shouldn't have to replace all of your pickups.

yeah he can replace with those ones, they're humbuckers designed to fit in a single coil slot.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
humbuckers cancel the hum of single coils and tend to be more darker, heavier, better with distortion.

yes it is worth modifying if you have a good amp

and no, you are allowed to replace only one if you want
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
^ well, depends what you have in at the moment

EDIT: (directed at Edawmail)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
With passive pickups you can pick and choose which ones you want to change and which ones you want to keep. As mentioned, different pickups have different sounds and there are really no objective tonal advantages of humbuckers when compared to single coils (except the lack of hum). Tone is completely subjective and certain people like certain pickups better than others.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You can just replace one pickup on a guitar, no sweat
if you were going for that one, stick it in the bridge, and leave the other 2 fenders in.

Whether its worth it is up too you, different pickups have different sounds, so look around for a pickup that fits what you play.

Humbuckers generally have a 'beefier' sound too single coils,

you will need some soldering skills, and be able to follow a wiring diagram to do it.
www.seymourduncan.com/support
loads of diagrams on there.

You could replace your pickguard, and put a real humbucker in the bridge, but still leaving your single coils in, this will give you a 'true' humbucker sound, which i don't think stacked humbuckers do.

Just have a look around, depending on your budget,
GFS are cheap and good, can't go wrong with seymour duncans really, just have a look round the forums, there's loads of pickup threads
At the moment I've bought a Fender Strat that has single coil pickups, and I was wondering whether I should replace them with this:

/what *kind* of fender?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour...300-i1127440.gc

/you might like those, but I don't know what type of sound your after, and most importantly, I can't comment on them because I have no actual playing/ear time in on any dual blade single coils.

There's a couple things I'd like to know:

What advantages do humbuckers have over single coils?

/they provide a different sound than single coils, as mentioned above, are humbucking, sometimes can be split to produce one coils sound and not the other(s) as well as having your sample taken from two *near* places.

Is it worth the money modifying a guitar to have better pickups?

/better is subjective. what suits your sound? if your guitar is what your want, but the portion of the sound the pickups put into the signal and appeal, then change them. Depending on cost and your desired improvement, you could be very happy with the return.

Do I need to replace all 3 single coil pickups with these new humbuckers, or can I replace just one?

/you don't NEED to, and not everyone does. But if you're not happy with all of them, buying a calibrated set might make you happy.

try to find sound samples of pickups and compare them. here is a good example of difference between two 'likewise' built pickups. (ceramic, overall output, ect.)

stock squier affinity pickups
with GFS' cheap ceramics
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Quote by Iced_Tea
At the moment I've bought a Fender Strat that has single coil pickups, and I was wondering whether I should replace them with this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SHR-1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup-300300-i1127440.gc

There's a couple things I'd like to know:

Do I need to replace all 3 single coil pickups with these new humbuckers, or can I replace just one?
Tell us what sort of music you play, you gear it will be used with, what the problem with your stock pickups are etc.

Quote by Iced_Tea

advantages? Less hum, However on modern pickups it isn't going to be bad, everything else is purely a difference (including this).

Worth it? If everything else feels and sounds right apart from the pickups then maybe

Don't have to replace all 3 however there may be a large output difference.

The Strat. If you aren't pleased with the sound, why did you buy it?
Last edited by supergerbil at Feb 22, 2008,
I have those pickups on my Jackson in the middle and neck position (there's a pic in my profile). They sound good. Do yourself a favor if you're going to replace your strat pickups and get a push-pull pot (500k) and wire it up so you can split the coil. It is very simple and the instructions for doing so come with the pickups. This way, you can still have your strat sound as well as the humbucker sound. Those pickups do a nice job at both double and single. The push pull is so you don't have to modify your strat. The pickups of course drop right in with no mod. SAVE YOUR OLD PICKUPS and if you do the p-p pot, keep the old pot too.
Last edited by Badorphan at Feb 22, 2008,
Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rail Stacked Single Coil Pickup

Stacked? The coils are obviously not stacked.
^ There's LOT of that out there.
I've seen ads for lots of "stacked" SC sized HBs that are actually side-by-side.

Quote by Iced_Tea
What advantages are there to upgrading pickups?

1 - You get to spend money. Spending money is fun.

2 - Sometimes the new pickups look really cool.

3 - You get to pretend your new pickups improved your tone, even though your amp sux.

4 - Soldering is cool.

5 - Your little buddies will envy you.

6 - Maybe ... just maybe the new pickups might sound better.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Feb 22, 2008,
^Oh yeah, you're right, pickups don't sound any different from each other.
^ Look carefully. I never said that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
^ There's LOT of that out there.
I've seen ads for lots of "stacked" SC sized HBs that are actually side-by-side.

1 - You get to spend money. Spending money is fun.

2 - Sometimes the new pickups look really cool.

3 - You get to pretend your new pickups improved your tone, even though your amp sux.

4 - Soldering is cool.

5 - Your little buddies will envy you.

6 - Maybe ... just maybe the new pickups might sound better.

Well, I agree partly with what you say there but if he has a cheap copy with a very muddy cropped pickup, then it would be worth it to get some decent ones that aren't as muddy and have a decent cut.

But the tone has more to do with your amp than pickups like SYK said, but again we need more info!

EDIT:
I must have read over that it was a Fender Strat, not a copy.
MIM or MIA?
Even some Fenders have pretty bland pickups.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Last edited by WH15P3R at Feb 22, 2008,
Witty, SYK.
And of course he's right, odds are you're playing through a **** amp like a spider or an MG, so new pups will not make much of a difference in tone quality.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
You know, the dude asked for advice on swapping out pickups and instead, you've offered him sarcasm that soldering is cool, pickups look cool, spending money is cool, and his amp must suck. That's brilliant. Never mind the technicalities. Never mind the immense variances that pickups have depending on their impedance. Never mind the tonal differences between single coils and double coils. No, his amp must suck and he must be a poser trying to impress his boyfriends. Cripes. Is this the pit?
But seriously folks...
And if you do decide to go buy different pickups and you're thinking of replacing all three, buy ONE first, throw it in and see if you like it. Don't buy all three at once. You can't test drive pickups. If you throw it in the bridge and you don't like it there, try the neck. That way you're not throwing away too much if you don't like it. You have to find what it is that you like. Personally, my preference for humbuckers is 10.2k to 10.4k, but it took a lot of swapping over the years and that's just my taste. I really like the single coil sound too. Depends what I'm playing. I've got a drawer in my toolbox full of pickups and my guitars have ten different types of pups in them as well.
Last edited by Badorphan at Feb 22, 2008,
You could replace all your single coils with Hot Rails but then theres the question of why you should...thats a triple humbucker...lil overkill don't you think?
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660