Hi peeps, need some advice, I've had a series of amplifiers that have gone dead due to internal fuse blowing. After changing the fuses they blow again, sometimes straight away, and sometimes after days of playing.

Power source: I always run the amps through a surge protector, and they have blown at different power sources (i.e different location, studio, halls, at home)

Amps,
2X Randall rh150 g3, both had problems with sound cutting out at peak level, both had fuses blowing.

1x Line6 spiderIII, fuse blown, and was told these are extremely reliable

2x Randall V2 again both blowing fuses

1x Peavey JSX fuse blowing

The peavey is my latest and is in the hands of peavey being fixed/looked at.

I only have one guitar, a Jackson RR3. and has been used on all these amps, the shop i got this from told me there is no way the guitar is blowing the amps, but now im not sure.

need your helps please........
nah i dont think that itll blow em.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
dude its not your guitar, your house is possessed or something. theres probably someone that can tell you more but theres no way its your guitar
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
i couldnt imagine any guitar doing those things espeacilly to a jsx its your house wiring i bet
Well what volume are you pumping these things at? I don't see any physical way your guitar can blow a fuse in the amp...unless somehow you have some sort of electrical surge go through it which wouldn't happen unless it got hit by lightning or something.

Did they all blow at the same place or are they blowing in different locations (ie. school, home, studio, etc).
2X amps have blown at my house

1X in the garage

1x in a hall

3x at the practice studio

I honestly dont think theres a problem with the power source, nor the surge protector as i have 3 surge protectors, and it happens on them all
damn man...how much money do you have for amps lol?and yeah it's probably not your guitar.but maybe to be sure try another gutiar with one of the amps for awhile?
Quote by willieturnip
Runny nose.

Any magic family remedies to sort it?

Quote by Revhain
cut the tendons behind the knees, that should stop the sucker from running
[quote="J
Power source: I always run the amps through a surge protector, and they have blown at different power sources (i.e different location, studio, halls, at home)[/QUOTE"]

Excellent reading skills, everyone.
yea i maybe think i'm the most unluckiest person lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

most of the amps blow at low volumes 3or4 which is loud but still a low volume
its not the guitar, i just rekon your a sound king and are rushing to full volume with out a decent warm up, with loud loud amps this IS nessersary! not so much with **** amps, lol or my amps, its a keyboard amp with effects to make it sound half decent, i use it for everything from vocals to guitar to keyboard to bass,,, and it never fails,,, then again its a heap of metal lol,,, knowing this amp is wont even have fuses
Gear:-

Ibanez SAS32FM
Ovation AEsomething

Roland Cube 30X

Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Dunlop M-135 Smart Gate
EBow
Last edited by Tspoon_mcgaia at Mar 7, 2017,
No, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. However it seems like the only logical explanation, except that you're a very unlucky person...

My money is on the surge protector being at fault - stop using it, at least for the time being. Most guitarists use unprotected mains sockets without any problems except in very unlucky circumstances (TIP: don't play outdoors in a thunderstorm). Also go through every aspect of your rig; pedals, cables, guitar wiring and the lot, though common sense says that shouldn't be to blame.
its defo not the surge, i have one in my bedroom, garage and a spare for practice studio/gigs, they are all different makes too.

Also, I'd like to say that I have gone through all 7 amps within 1 year :s
Were all of those heads, or were some of them combo amps?

If they were all heads, it might be a speaker cable or cab (if you've been using the same cab) issue.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
yeah they are all heads,

rh150 - had new randall cab
rh150 - had new randall cab
line6 - had new line 6
v2- had new randall cab
v2 - kept randall cab
jsx - kept randall cab

i have a number of speaker cables, I suppose it is possible that one of them was used everytime the amps blew, but i just grab them randomly
It could be that you had a bad speaker cable, or that you were using instrument cables instead of speaker cables. Instrument cables CANNOT be used as speaker cables - that would be a likely reason why your heads were blowing.
Axe-FX Standard
all the cables used were ones i collected through aquiring so many amps lol, so they all came with the cabs/amps.

So maybe the cables could blow the amp if they are faulty?

Does this apply to the guitar cable too? if that is faulty?
If they were, in fact, speaker cables, then yes. Faulty cables would definitely cause your heads to blow.

Your guitar cable shouldn't be causing your amp any trouble. I've had the shielding come off of my cheaper guitar cables before and the only thing it did for me was interfere with my tone or not allow me to play at all, but the amp was fine.
Axe-FX Standard
ok cool, i shall replace them as a precaution then, thanks for info.

If anyone has any more info on the matter please post.

knowledge is power hahaha
There is some kind of short or crossed wires in either an effect pedal or chord. Change or eliminate all of the common elements to your rig. By that I mean any part of your rig that has been the same in all cases where the amps blew fuses has to be removed for this test. (Except the guitar). See what happens then. I am not recommending that you blow another amp, I am just speculating that there is something other than the guitar, amp and power source that is frying your amps. Has your guitar blown any friends equipment? I think there is something between your guitar and the amp that is the source of your issue.

Or, are you the guy they wrote the movie "Powder" about?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I was typing when the last posts were made, yes the speaker cable too. That could be your issue as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
best bet is the speaker cable,,, **** man tho 7 amps in a year where yoiu get your money from? you would be better of just with a solid state combo for all the ****t of replacing all of these ones!
the only things im defo sure that have been kept the same is my guitar and guitar cable. like i said before it is possible that the cabinet cable could be faulty. also i always go straight in the amp with my guitar, no pedals at the mo.

I have used the guitar on my friends amp, but it was only for an hour at a time.

So it would seem the most likely fault is with the speaker cable
an hour? wow maybe you are blowing fuses cause an hour of playing at full volume is little for you? lol maybe if you are playing for 6 hours on end or what ever at full with no warm up and a **** cable that would blow it for sure... lol but im only guess u do this, cause i do ;lol
you obviously arent meant to be an electirc guitar player...try acoustic for a while...
no for real...dude...ive never heard of anything like that, i dont think your guitar could do that, you run a lot of pedals?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by JasonBTL
Hi peeps, need some advice, I've had a series of amplifiers that have gone dead due to internal fuse blowing. After changing the fuses they blow again, sometimes straight away, and sometimes after days of playing.

Power source: I always run the amps through a surge protector, and they have blown at different power sources (i.e different location, studio, halls, at home)

Amps,
2X Randall rh150 g3, both had problems with sound cutting out at peak level, both had fuses blowing.

1x Line6 spiderIII, fuse blown, and was told these are extremely reliable

2x Randall V2 again both blowing fuses

1x Peavey JSX fuse blowing

The peavey is my latest and is in the hands of peavey being fixed/looked at.

I only have one guitar, a Jackson RR3. and has been used on all these amps, the shop i got this from told me there is no way the guitar is blowing the amps, but now im not sure.

need your helps please........

Are you connecting the cable to the right impedimence?
Last edited by Chinomaster182 at Feb 22, 2008,
I was disapointed... i plugged my bass into my mums crappy 10 watt practise guitar amp through my mates preamp and chucked the distortion waaaayyy up to blow it and blow it i did... but i think the terminology was wrong... i was hoping for an explosion =[
If a Roland Microcube can survive a Dimebucker pickup (such as I have seen,) then I'm pretty sure that those amps were not blown by your jackson.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
You either used an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable, or bad speaker cable. I am pretty sure it's not your guitar.