you don't necessarily need a distortion pedal....you don't necessarily even need a pedal at all. What kind of sounds are you looking to get that you can't currently get out of the amp?

[EDIT] Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive and a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I haven't actually gotten an electric yet, I'm just planning to get one in the near future.
Save the money for a good guitar then.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
how much distortion are you looking for? if you just want a good rock sound buy an overdrive pedal.
Quote by Animostas
I haven't actually gotten an electric yet, I'm just planning to get one in the near future.

Can i ask why you're gettin an amp before the guitar?

Surely you should buy the guitar first or buy them both together
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

lmao, i know amp is more important than guitar for tone, but that is extreme

see how it is on its own, then get down to GC and try and try pedals with your amp, and see if you want a seperate distortion box, or just an OD
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Animostas

Thats a quite good guitar, and considering it doesnt have the ibanez standard pickups is even better, whats more better is that it has passive EMG's, Good guitar

EGGEDIT:

You're pretty much set up axewise.Whats your price range for the amp/pedal?
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by yoyodunno
Those aren't really the passive emgs. They are 'designed by emg' lots of guitar brands do that, they could still be decent tho.

Oh yeh, didnt read it over too well

Its still a good guitar though, but i've never seen any pickups 'designed by EMG' so i dont know an awful lot about them.
Quote by dark&broken

You don't need a pedal - as far as I can tell you don't even play yet so you haven't got a clue what you'll need. The Palomino is a great amp but it's debateable as to whether it's a great FIRST amp.

I reckon you get a cheaper guitar like the Ibanez RG321 and a Roland Microcube to start off with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Animostas
I honestly prefer not to spend over $200 total in terms of amp/pedal.

I hooked a Korg AX5G (Musicians Friend blew them out @ $39.00) to my Epi VJ Head and it has some great METAL. I also have a DS-1 but the Korg LOVES the VJ and the distortion is the best I've heard - better than the Boss and better than the Metal Muff my bud loaned me. Not at all bad for $39.00 and hooked to a $129.00 amp!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I've already played acoustic for a year, and I love playing guitar, so I figured that I should just get at least some decent gear, rather than starting with something not as good and then upgrading later.