what are some good bass effects for hardrock and some metal(like metallica)

my bass is a epiphone EB-0
1. Get a better bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Obviously a distortion pedal is almost necessary if you are going to use effects. (Cliff used a Big Muff, but I'd suggest an Ibanez PD7 or BOSS bass pedal instead since they are made for bass). A wah pedal is a good second choice, as well as a chorus for songs with the slow, melodic passages. Also, I'd suggest a compressor but that won't really do any good unless you are actually do a big gig or something, otherwise it's a waste compared to the other two.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by gm jack
1. Get a better bass.

i know its not the best but ive been playing for only about 4 months...plus it doesnt sound that bad
The trouble is, the bass is muddy as hell. You may not notice it now, and it will just seem like a lot of low end. But you will soon realise how little definition the bass has. In metal and heavier rock, the bass needs to cut through without overpowering everything. It just doesn't happen easy on a bass with a single neck humbucker.

And on the point you have playing 4 months, don't start buying effects now. They simply allow you to rely on them instead of becoming a better player. The same is true of many guitarists. The pile on so much distortion, they find it impossible to play without it.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The trouble is, many bassists suffer from GAS (gear aquisition syndrome). Essentially, it is very easy to become set on buying potentially useless bits of kit, because we feel we need them.

In the genres you describe, the bass is most often played cleanly. Of course there are exceptions (e.g. Cliff Burton with OTT distortion and wah), but for the most part, the bass in rock and less extreme metal is played cleanly. A touch of distortion is sometimes used, but that is more for a slighty tonal edge than as a dedicated effect.

If you has said funk, people could recommend wahs and envelope filters, as they really are used a hug amount in the genre. But in rock and lighter metal, effects are a comparitive rarinty.

Sorry if I came accross as a little aggressive .

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1